Workers are reluctant to return to work in offices since the pandemic.

Big Cities Can’t Get Workers Back to the Office
https://archive.ph/7TFDL
More than two years into the Covid-19 pandemic, exasperation is growing among business, city and community leaders across the U.S. who have seen offices left behind while life returns to normal at restaurants, airlines, sporting events and other places where people gather. Even after many employers have adopted hybrid schedules, less than half the number of pre-pandemic office workers are returning to business districts consistently.
Nearly two out of every three workers whose jobs can be done remotely prefer a mix of remote and in-person work, according to a global survey completed in March by accounting and consulting firm PwC. And 68% of workers in North America said they would consider looking for another job if their managers insist they return to their workplace full-time, according to a November 2021 survey by payroll provider ADP.
Thousands of small businesses, meanwhile, are struggling to survive with so many workers home. At Blue Park Kitchen, a lunch-focused restaurant in Manhattan’s Financial District, revenue is down about 30% from prepandemic levels. It has been growing recently, mostly thanks to catering orders from companies offering free lunch to their staff, said owner and chef Kelly Fitzpatrick. “New York is particularly tough because our fixed costs are so astronomical that until we get back to 85% to 90% of where we were pre-Covid, it’s impossible to make any money,” she said.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Workers are reluctant to return to work in offices since the pandemic.

I'm in the office 2 days per week (in my N95). Most of the office has been back full time since roughly last August. Only a couple of us pushed for part or most time remote.

It's really kind of a dreary place these days, though. Policy remains the majority of face to face work is to occur on-line even if you're next door. Office doors are generally shut. About a third of us are still diligent about masks. We've had a couple of flare ups that spooked ownership - having a quarter of your staff out quarantining leaves a mark on billing and productivity.

sikacz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:52 pm I’m in the office five days a week. I’m fully vaccinated twice boosted. Yes, I could get Covid and did. We are well past pandemic, we are endemic. In short, take your precautions this is not going away.
Yeah, well, still wear a mask. Breakthrough, rebound and all that.

We continue to provide a ready supply of the petri dishes necessary for this thing to replicate and mutate, it'll be entertaining us indefinitely. It's that simple. Maybe it'll mutate itself into meh, maybe it'll mutate itself into something that we don't want to think about.

It's, collectively, totally up to us.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:56 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:52 pm I’m in the office five days a week. I’m fully vaccinated twice boosted. Yes, I could get Covid and did. We are well past pandemic, we are endemic. In short, take your precautions this is not going away.
Yeah, well, still wear a mask. Breakthrough, rebound and all that.

We continue to provide a ready supply of the petri dishes necessary for this thing to replicate and mutate, it'll be entertaining us indefinitely. It's that simple. Maybe it'll mutate itself into meh, maybe it'll mutate itself into something that we don't want to think about.

It's, collectively, totally up to us.
That is the possible future in a nutshell.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I'm holding out on my second booster so I can get the upgraded one this fall. Who knows if it will help as the virus mutates so fast. Just like the flu, the vaccine can be off but still helps.
The flu jabs used to cover just one type of influenza virus, then went to two and now four.
ll flu vaccines in the United States are “quadrivalent” vaccines, which means they protect against four different flu viruses: an influenza A(H1N1) virus, an influenza A(H3N2) virus, and two influenza B viruses.
So I believe thats where the corona jabs are headed, to cover more than just one or two. I think the new corona jab will cover two last I heard.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Bosses need to understand the 5 YT rules:
1) Don't fuck with the money! People work for pay and you MUST make payroll every.single.time There used to be a Soviet joke: "We will stop pretending to work when you stop pretending to pay us!"
2) (my favorite) Loyalty Obeys The Law of Gravity--What goes UP had DAMN WELL better come back down--it rarely does.
3) Happy People Don't Leave.
4) When "Happy" People leave, Rule 3 applies.
5) People don't burn bridges they don't have to. So when they leave it will be because they got a GREAT opportunity, their spouse is transferred, they want to raise the kids, but NONE of this happens as it appears: See Rule 3!
6) My brother's corollary: In EVERY Human Endeavor you must always allow for the DH factor! (DH=Dick Head) He came up with this when a fellow union man said to him (in a rich, thick Noo Yawk accent) "Buddy, you didn't allow for the DH factor!"
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

And my child’s generation have realized that one can (can) make boatloads of money creating internet content instead of working at an office. The potential audience is now in the billions. It only takes a tiny fraction to make bank. And if the rest are like my kid, they have had it made perfectly clear to them by watching us (parents etc.) that companies (and the govt, etc) have absolutely no loyalty towards long-term employees. Oh, and they actually demand work/life balance and have seen that even good money can’t buy happiness if you’re killing your self making it. Which means that while good old me has toiled at the same place for 25 years barely keeping up with inflation, (and go figure getting no loyalty/ opportunities back) the new attorneys have one foot out the door when they start and just use jobs as resume building exercises.