An old scourge may be returning.

Hundreds could have polio after an adult in the New York City metro area caught the virus and suffered paralysis last month, the state’s top health official said this week.New York state Health Commissioner Mary Bassett warned that the confirmed polio case in an unvaccinated adult, coupled with the detection of the virus in sewage outside the nation’s largest city, could indicate a bigger outbreak is underway. “Based on earlier polio outbreaks, New Yorkers should know that for every one case of paralytic polio observed, there may be hundreds of other people infected,” Bassett said. “Coupled with the latest wastewater findings, the department is treating the single case of polio as just the tip of the iceberg of much greater potential spread.”
New York state health officials confirmed last month that an unvaccinated adult in Rockland County had caught polio and was hospitalized with paralysis. Health officials subsequently found three positive polio samples in Rockland County wastewater and four positive samples in the sewage of adjacent Orange County.
Rockland County has a polio vaccination rate of 60%, while Orange County has a vaccination rate of 58%, according to health officials. The statewide vaccination rate for polio is nearly 79%.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/new-yor ... ected.html

According to the CDC's most recent childhood vaccination data, about 93% of 2-year-olds in the U.S. had received at least three doses of polio vaccine. Meanwhile, adults who are not vaccinated would receive a three-dose immunization, and those who are vaccinated but at high risk can receive a lifetime booster shot, according to the health department. The vaccine is 99% effective in children who receive the full four-dose regime, health officials said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-viru ... epartment/

.Antivaxxers
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: An old scourge may be returning.

A guy I worked with years ago had polio when he was young, he spent a lot of time in hospitals and eventually recovered without any paralysis. Many of us lived through that era and remember the public health alerts that closed swimming pools and rec areas, because polio is so contagious.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Polio? POLIO???
The last two victims I knew (by age) were from New Zealand and mainland China.
Before that, was a friend of one of my brothers born in 1949.

My dad, born in 1915, had it as an infant and the left side of his face was paralyzed for the rest of his life. Luckily, that was the worst of it but he always looked like he was pulling his mouth to the right.

We were all vaccinated repeatedly, first with the Salk vaccine every summer, then the Sabin vaccine. But it's still a scourge in other 3rd world nations.

Now it seems that those of us vaccinated for Smallpox may have some, but not perfect resistance to Monkeypox. Yet the world stopped vaccinating for Smallpox about 50 years ago--unintended consequences. So if the Smallpox vaccinations had continued, there's an excellent chance this new epidemic would have been slowed down.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I agree YT, the smallpox vaccines probably should have continued like polio vaccines continued, even though those diseases were consider "eradicated". I got a smallpox vaccine almost 50 years ago, not sure how effective it is right now. The vaccine I got was made by Wyeth and they no longer make it.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials on Thursday announced their consideration of a plan to expand the nation’s monkeypox vaccine supply by splitting doses. The announcement came just moments after Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra declared a public health emergency over the globally circulating virus, once endemic only to Africa. On a Thursday press call, FDA Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf said the agency is considering a process called “dose sparing” to stretch its supply. It would allow health care providers to split a one-dose vial of Jynneos—one of two smallpox vaccines approved for fellow poxvirus monkeypox, and the safest by far—into five doses, to be administered to five patients.

The doses would be administered intradermally, or between layers of skin, instead of subcutaneously, or under the skin. The approach provides improved immune response and does not jeopardize safety or effectiveness, Califf said. The agency will likely make a decision on dose sparing “within the next few days,” Califf said Thursday, adding that odds it would proceed with the plan were “looking good.” Though the vaccine is FDA approved, an emergency use authorization would be needed due to changes in dosing and administration.
https://fortune.com/2022/08/06/monkeypo ... -poxvirus/

highdesert wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:22 pm I agree YT, the smallpox vaccines probably should have continued like polio vaccines continued, even though those diseases were consider "eradicated". I got a smallpox vaccine almost 50 years ago, not sure how effective it is right now. The vaccine I got was made by Wyeth and they no longer make it.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials on Thursday announced their consideration of a plan to expand the nation’s monkeypox vaccine supply by splitting doses. The announcement came just moments after Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra declared a public health emergency over the globally circulating virus, once endemic only to Africa. On a Thursday press call, FDA Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf said the agency is considering a process called “dose sparing” to stretch its supply. It would allow health care providers to split a one-dose vial of Jynneos—one of two smallpox vaccines approved for fellow poxvirus monkeypox, and the safest by far—into five doses, to be administered to five patients.

The doses would be administered intradermally, or between layers of skin, instead of subcutaneously, or under the skin. The approach provides improved immune response and does not jeopardize safety or effectiveness, Califf said. The agency will likely make a decision on dose sparing “within the next few days,” Califf said Thursday, adding that odds it would proceed with the plan were “looking good.” Though the vaccine is FDA approved, an emergency use authorization would be needed due to changes in dosing and administration.
https://fortune.com/2022/08/06/monkeypo ... -poxvirus/
I was vaccinated as an infant for Smallpox and re-vaccinated in 1971 prior to my HS band's trip to Europe. Some kids had a reaction, meaning they had lost immunity, but I didn't. Back then, EVERYONE had to be vaccinated to be admitted to school. Of course, back then "vaccination" was synonymous with smallpox vaccination.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I remember getting the Small pox vaccine and the Salk vaccine as a child later as I was older in school getting the "new" Sabin vaccine on the sugar cube. Also when we moved back to Texas I had to get another DPT vaccine. They didn't have the vaccines for mumps, chicken pox or the measles back then. So I had to suffer through those diseases.

Later while working as an RN I got the Hepatitis, Pneumonia vaccines along with the yearly Flu vaccine. After retiring I have had more vaccines including the shingles vaccine. I encourage everybody to get all the vaccines you can. The pain of the vaccine is not as bad as the disease that it prevents.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:01 pm I remember getting the Small pox vaccine and the Salk vaccine as a child later as I was older in school getting the "new" Sabin vaccine on the sugar cube.
I think folks our age felt calm with the sugar cube. This explains how we all lined up for the sugar cubes when the chemist took the little bottle out of the freezer in the communal house where I met my wife--the bus came by and we got on.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:01 pm I remember getting the Small pox vaccine and the Salk vaccine as a child later as I was older in school getting the "new" Sabin vaccine on the sugar cube. Also when we moved back to Texas I had to get another DPT vaccine. They didn't have the vaccines for mumps, chicken pox or the measles back then. So I had to suffer through those diseases.

Later while working as an RN I got the Hepatitis, Pneumonia vaccines along with the yearly Flu vaccine. After retiring I have had more vaccines including the shingles vaccine. I encourage everybody to get all the vaccines you can. The pain of the vaccine is not as bad as the disease that it prevents.
I remember getting the first mumps vaccine as a kid, after having suffered through Measles and Chickenpox. Just before THE Pandemic, there was a Measles epidemic so I got checked for what I'm still immune to (they don't check smallpox). Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, but not Rubella nor Pertussis. I guess I should get the MMR and DPT shots...Had both Shingrex shots, and pneumonia shots.

People who don't believe in vaccines, global warming, or that fascism is NOT good prove to me that America is definitely dumbing-down. It was the one true warning the Orange Blob gave us when he said he likes them.

As we get older we need to get a DPT shot most of us haven’t had a Tetanus shot in 10 years. Also Pertussis is still around and the older adults are able to become sick with it. Also if you have underlying health conditions you can have further complications from the virus. Also get the shingles vaccine. My dad came down with shingles and he said it was very painful. Plus you run a risk of secondary infections at the shingles site. I treated a patient in home health that had infected shingles on his head.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Those tetanus shots are the worst.

I had gotten the single shingles vax a few years ago and my doc said i need the new double dose one.
Well hell, i got the tetanus, shingles and the pneumococcal vaccine all at the same time. It sucked. And i never went back for my secondary jabs cuz i broke out in a rash that lasted months.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:17 am Those tetanus shots are the worst.

I had gotten the single shingles vax a few years ago and my doc said i need the new double dose one.
Well hell, i got the tetanus, shingles and the pneumococcal vaccine all at the same time. It sucked. And i never went back for my secondary jabs cuz i broke out in a rash that lasted months.
Now you don't know which one caused it.That is the problem when you get the shots all at once.

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:28 am
tonguengroover wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:17 am Those tetanus shots are the worst.

Now you don't know which one caused it. That is the problem when you get the shots all at once.
I agree, at least 14 days between vaccinations is my rule. For me the pneumonia ones were the worst, very painful for 24 hours. I'm up to date on all mine. Vaccines are our friends!
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/vaccines-age.html

Children ages 1-9 in London were made eligible for booster doses of a polio vaccine Wednesday after British health authorities reported finding evidence the virus has spread in multiple areas of the city but found no cases of the paralytic disease in people. Britain's Health Security Agency said it detected viruses derived from the oral polio vaccine in the sewage water of eight London boroughs. The agency's analysis of the virus samples suggested "transmission has gone beyond a close network of a few individuals."

The agency said it had not located anyone infected with the virus and that the risk to the wider population was low. The decision to offer young children boosters was a precaution, it said. "This will ensure a high level of protection from paralysis and help reduce further spread," the agency said. The agency said it is also expanding surveillance of sewage water to at least another 25 sites in London and nationally. Most people across Britain are vaccinated against polio in childhood. According to the World Health Organization, only one in 200 polio infections leads to paralysis; most people don't show any symptoms.
Kathleen O'Reilly, a polio expert at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said the polio virus circulating in London was "genetically related" to recent cases identified in the U.S. and Israel. "Further investigation is needed to fully understand how they are connected, but it does illustrate that this virus has the potential to cause disease," O'Reilly said in a statement. Polio is a disease often spread in water that mostly affects children under 5. It has mostly been wiped out from developed countries, but outbreaks remain in Pakistan, Afghanistan and parts of Africa.
https://www.npr.org/2022/08/10/11167495 ... ne-booster

That seems to be true for all vaccines. If you take the shot in the arm, do pull-ups to work those muscles and spread the vaccine around out of that area.

If you take the shot in the ass? What, go jogging? Have vigorous sex?

Sex is good for you in general...
:hump: :snap: :thankyou:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi