New Study Finds, Climate Change Is Supercharging Most Infectious Diseases,

More than half of all human infectious diseases in recorded history — Lyme, West Nile, hantavirus, typhoid, HIV and influenza, to name a few — have been exacerbated by the mounting impacts of greenhouse gas-driven climate change.

That is the sobering conclusion of a new, first-of-its-kind paper that combed through more than 70,000 scientific studies to pinpoint how an array of climate hazards have impacted 375 pathogenic diseases known to have impacted humans. A team of 11 researchers at the University of Hawaii at Manoa conducted the analysis, which was published Monday in the peer-reviewed scientific journal Nature Climate Change.
Full article here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/climate ... bb991d9a9e

Of course we will still have the skeptics that refuse to believe there is climate change and that vaccines are evil.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: New Study Finds, Climate Change Is Supercharging Most Infectious Diseases,

featureless wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:33 pm This is another one of those things that scientists warned about.
But they don’t know what I heard from my cousin that heard it on OAN. That the liberals were the cause of COVID and the weather change is due to too many of them other people moving to the USofA. :sarcasm:
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

It's a meta-analysis, which means anyone who tries to replicate it from the same data set using the same methods is going to get exactly the same result.

The differences between these sorts of studies is either changing what data is included, or changing the statistical analysis. That said, the Nature journals have an extremely strong reputation and a tradition of strenuous peer review. This isn't a novel finding.

The bad news is, we're all gonna die. The good news is, we were gonna anyways. It ain't doomsday. This year, nuclear winter is much higher up my bingo card for things that are gonna kill us, displacing civil unrest, Covid-19, and morons who never learned the basics of gun safety but cleared the ammo off the shelves anyway.

wings wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 pm It's a meta-analysis, which means anyone who tries to replicate it from the same data set using the same methods is going to get exactly the same result.

The differences between these sorts of studies is either changing what data is included, or changing the statistical analysis. That said, the Nature journals have an extremely strong reputation and a tradition of strenuous peer review. This isn't a novel finding.

The bad news is, we're all gonna die. The good news is, we were gonna anyways. It ain't doomsday. This year, nuclear winter is much higher up my bingo card for things that are gonna kill us, displacing civil unrest, Covid-19, and morons who never learned the basics of gun safety but cleared the ammo off the shelves anyway.
If a new group of scientists reviewing the meta analysis doesn't feel that some data merits being included or should be weighted differently or recommends other data, that all gets included in their report and could alter the previous analysis.

Peer reviewed journals are the best we have, but they're not infallible. I'm reminded of Andrew Wakefield who published a study in one of Britain's most respected medical journals, The Lancet. His conclusion later debunked was that there was a connection between the MMR vaccine and autism. The Lancet later retracted the article. That article still feeds the antivaxxer community.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02989-9
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I asked my science experts.Starting with myself I have a degrees in Science Nursing and 40+ years of working in healthcare. I also asked my wife PhD Molecular Biology and professor teaching Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology for over 15 years at the college level before becoming Dean of the science Dept. I asked my sisters in law. One has a PHD in Biochemistry and does cancer research at M.D. Anderson Houston Tx is being inducted as a fellow into the Academy of Arts and Sciences this fall. The other sister in law along with her husband has a PHD in Environmental Sciences. They all agree this is basic science. I was taught many years ago in Microbiology class that bacteria and viruses are opportunistic and multiply in warmer environments with an ideal temperature rage very close to that of the human body of 98.6F. We can set a range between 80F and 110F. Given that temp and a host they will multiply quickly. That is why we keep our spoilable foods in a freezer or refrigerator. As the planet warms we have more areas that are in those ranges for a longer period of time and we will have more growth in the microbiology world. Not just in the pathogenic microbes but in all microbes that multiply in that range of temperatures.

TrueTexan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:24 am I asked my science experts.Starting with myself I have a degrees in Science Nursing and 40+ years of working in healthcare. I also asked my wife PhD Molecular Biology and professor teaching Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology for over 15 years at the college level before becoming Dean of the science Dept. I asked my sisters in law. One has a PHD in Biochemistry and does cancer research at M.D. Anderson Houston Tx is being inducted as a fellow into the Academy of Arts and Sciences this fall. The other sister in law along with her husband has a PHD in Environmental Sciences. They all agree this is basic science. I was taught many years ago in Microbiology class that bacteria and viruses are opportunistic and multiply in warmer environments with an ideal temperature rage very close to that of the human body of 98.6F. We can set a range between 80F and 110F. Given that temp and a host they will multiply quickly. That is why we keep our spoilable foods in a freezer or refrigerator. As the planet warms we have more areas that are in those ranges for a longer period of time and we will have more growth in the microbiology world. Not just in the pathogenic microbes but in all microbes that multiply in that range of temperatures.
I agree temperature is a factor, but we also have refrigeration [along with freezing] and air conditioning which didn't exist in former times. There are a lot of factors and they all need to be weighted in evaluating the impacts of climate change. Research on the environment needs the same close examination as research on gun control laws.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Speaking of vectors. Here's one that is world wide.
Human Pathogens Are Hitching a Ride on Floating Plastic

The plastics had only been submerged in the ocean off Falmouth, England, for a week, but in that time a thin layer of biofilm, a slimy mix of mucus and microbes, had already developed on their surfaces. Michiel Vos, a microbiologist at the University of Exeter in England, had sunk five different types of plastic as a test. He and his colleagues wanted to know which of the myriad microbes living in the ocean would glom on to these introduced materials
Full article here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... g-plastic/
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Mr. McGuire: There’s a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
-Movie The Graduate 1967