Re: California "assault weapon" ban challenge--Miller v. Bonta

featureless wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:45 pm
highdesert wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:38 pm That's good news, I hope Benitez rules quickly. Bonta will appeal and we'll see how long it languishes at the 9th Circuit before we get decisions. I hope Benitez also gets Duncan v Bonta (magazine size restrictions).
He should since Duncan was his.

I'm hoping for an injunction. CA9 will overrule and then the injunction would be appealed to SCOTUS while these two cases meander for 10 more fucking years back to SCOTUS. What a collosal waste of time and money.
Blame the authoritarian neoliberal agenda that set these idiots on the bench. There’s no real difference between these idiots and the fundamentalist authoritarian types dominating the the scotus now except the issues they carry a torch for. We’re at a sad point, pick the right you will accept losing.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:14 am
highdesert wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:38 pm That's good news, I hope Benitez rules quickly. Bonta will appeal and we'll see how long it languishes at the 9th Circuit before we get decisions. I hope Benitez also gets Duncan v Bonta (magazine size restrictions).

I'm hoping for an injunction. CA9 will overrule and then the injunction would be appealed to SCOTUS while these two cases meander for 10 more fucking years back to SCOTUS. What a collosal waste of time and money.
Blame the authoritarian neoliberal agenda that set these idiots on the bench. There’s no real difference between these idiots and the fundamentalist authoritarian types dominating the the scotus now except the issues they carry a torch for. We’re at a sad point, pick the right you will accept losing.
Lawyers and judges are into drama, robes, benches set up high, addressing the court in the 3rd person and "Your Honor". It was to impress those coming before the King's Courts that the divinity of the monarch was spread on His Majesty's Justices and that there really was justice and equality before the law. Go to an Irish court and call a judge "Your Honor" or "Your Lordship" and you'll probably be held in contempt, they are addressed as "Judge" or "Justice" and that's it. Courts are a human invention to resolve conflicts, justice and equality are ideals and ideals have to be fought for everyday.

As the whole country has become more partisan, the curtain has been pulled back on the partisanship of judges. They aren't partisan politicians who when appointed to the bench miraculously become non-partisan, they are appointed to the bench because of their partisan views though they will deny it in hearings. 9th Circuit 2A rulings aren't always surprising.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:07 am
sikacz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:14 am

Lawyers and judges are into drama, robes, benches set up high, addressing the court in the 3rd person and "Your Honor". It was to impress those coming before the King's Courts that the divinity of the monarch was spread on His Majesty's Justices and that there really was justice and equality before the law. Go to an Irish court and call a judge "Your Honor" or "Your Lordship" and you'll probably be held in contempt, they are addressed as "Judge" or "Justice" and that's it. Courts are a human invention to resolve conflicts, justice and equality are ideals and ideals have to be fought for everyday.

As the whole country has become more partisan, the curtain has been pulled back on the partisanship of judges. They aren't partisan politicians who when appointed to the bench miraculously become non-partisan, they are appointed to the bench because of their partisan views though they will deny it in hearings. 9th Circuit 2A rulings aren't always surprising.
Yes, agree.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.