1880's Holland action 20 bore hammer gun

So I didn’t intend to buy a 20 bore this weekend, but I just couldn’t pass this up for what they were asking. No name on the gun, and Leige proof marks makes this a Belgian Guild Gun. It is very well made. 30” barrels cyl/cyl. According to the proof marks this once had chokes, but at some point it was opened up cylinder in both barrels, most likely to accommodate close range upland game, and possibly to use ball for larger game such as deer or hogs. Cyl/cyl actually works very well for me as I would use this for California Mountain Quail in close cover where a 25 yard shot would be considered “long”. And with modern plastic shells, the pattern will be more like an IC pattern anyhow.

It is chambered for 20 bore 2.5”, and I will be ordering up a 2 ¾” chamber reamer today to change it to something a bit more usable. I will then cook up a moderate 1oz load to approximate the original 2” and 2.5” 20 bore loads of the 1880’s doing my best to make a “square” shot column. Should be a dandy little bird and bunny gun. Unfortunately my daughter is already eyeing it…
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: 1880's Holland action 20 bore hammer gun

Neat acquisition!
Yes, be careful of the loads you cook up for these older barrels. Don’t want to go all Elmer Fudd...
:yikes: :see_stars:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: 1880's Holland action 20 bore hammer gun

sikacz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:08 pm Dang! You sure you want to mess with that? Look pretty good as is.
I don’t have much choice, modern 20ga shells are just a touch large in the rim area for this gun. So since I have to re-cut the rim seat so I can use modern shells, I might as well just cut a modern chamber.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”