Re: Should Biden Appoint Liz Cheney To A Cabinet-Level Post On Election Integrity And The Preservation Of Democracy?

There is a tradition as the article states, but they didn't note that Republican and Democratic presidents have had at least one cabinet member from the opposite party. As far as I know Biden doesn't have a Republican in his cabinet. IIRC Cheney was an Asst Sec of State in W's administration before she ran for congress, so she's worked at the cabinet level. I don't see congress establishing a cabinet level department on election integrity, that topic is more in the DOJ domain. I think Cheney will concentrate on a run in 2024, I'd love to see her spar with Trump, she'd do much better than the 2016 candidates if Trump would agree to debate.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Should Biden Appoint Liz Cheney To A Cabinet-Level Post On Election Integrity And The Preservation Of Democracy?

I doubt Cheney would be interested. I also doubt she could win if she ran for winger prez - BUT, I'd love for her to try and to see her tear into turd during primaries on the same dais - again, she'd eat his lunch and spit him out in the gutter - that's almost a pay per view event !! LOL I also seriously doubt turd would partake in any primary debates because of his fear of being made to be the idiot he truly is thru and thru.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

papajim2jordan wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:50 am He could appoint Trump, Ambassador to Hades. A match made in Heaven.
We have enough problems already, so don’t piss off Satan.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Wino wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:17 am I also doubt she could win if she ran for winger prez - BUT, I'd love for her to try and to see her tear into turd during primaries on the same dais - again, she'd eat his lunch and spit him out in the gutter - that's almost a pay per view event !!
I agree Wino.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It would be a terrific gesture of conciliation for Dark Brandon to offer a post to Cheney. It would also be a boon for her to then politely refuse and embark on her presidential bid. A win-win scenario as it were.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Election denier GOP are a minority which makes the most noise and intimidates others. What the GOP needs is strong leadership (in the form of Cheney and other true conservatives) who believe in the rule of law -as opposed to the rule of might. They may not all have the spine to stand up for what is most important at the moment but eventually the adults will win the day.

The irony is that Dems will have to back the adults on the other side of the isle. How that happens is the real work of those who hold our viewpoints: bi-partisan support for election security to avoid devolving into civil-war mentality while the Robber Barons clean out the Treasury.

You can always bet on a method to their madness: follow the money.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:59 pm Election denier GOP are a minority which makes the most noise and intimidates others. What the GOP needs is strong leadership (in the form of Cheney and other true conservatives) who believe in the rule of law -as opposed to the rule of might. They may not all have the spine to stand up for what is most important at the moment but eventually the adults will win the day.

The irony is that Dems will have to back the adults on the other side of the isle. How that happens is the real work of those who hold our viewpoints: bi-partisan support for election security to avoid devolving into civil-war mentality while the Robber Barons clean out the Treasury.

You can always bet on a method to their madness: follow the money.
I have said, if trump was out of the way, like on a slab in a south florida hospital basement, a lot of the 'air' would go out of the trump 'balloon'...'lets' go bannon' and guiliani have gone on either newsmax or OAN and floated the 'the deep state is going to assassinate trump' gig...yes please...

TRE45ON

I hit this thread a few times before posting. One thing not mentioned is that an appointment of Liz to such a post would give her at least two years to reinforce the idea of a country of laws while simultaneously cutting the R party into two parts. Winning.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Bisbee wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:49 pm It would be a terrific gesture of conciliation for Dark Brandon to offer a post to Cheney. It would also be a boon for her to then politely refuse and embark on her presidential bid. A win-win scenario as it were.
I agree. Cheney's term of office ends in January 2023 and Biden could offer and Cheney could decline to accept, a position in his administration. Cheney wouldn't have compromised any of her Republican principles and Biden would be seen to act in a bipartisan manner consistent with his term as president. Yes a win-win.

Cheney is no Saint. She supported trump more than she opposed him. She voted against the first impeachment, supporting the second because, well, the optics bore it out.

Perhaps it would be wise to keep in mind that she identifies as republican despite being cognizant of the vast disparity between the republican of old and the slime bearing the title today.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:04 am Cheney is no Saint. She supported trump more than she opposed him. She voted against the first impeachment, supporting the second because, well, the optics bore it out.

Perhaps it would be wise to keep in mind that she identifies as republican despite being cognizant of the vast disparity between the republican of old and the slime bearing the title today.
All true. If Cheney runs for president, I'll most likely vote for her in the primary. Two reasons. She's one of the only politicians in today's world that did the right thing for the country despite knowing it would most likely cost her the job and because, should a Republican win, I'd much rather it be her than turd or DeAsshole. (And, being in California, whateber limp noodle is run on the Dem side, my vote for an R in the primary won't hurt them a bit.)

featureless wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:49 am
rolandson wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:04 am Cheney is no Saint. She supported trump more than she opposed him. She voted against the first impeachment, supporting the second because, well, the optics bore it out.

All true. If Cheney runs for president, I'll most likely vote for her in the primary. Two reasons. She's one of the only politicians in today's world that did the right thing for the country despite knowing it would most likely cost her the job and because, should a Republican win, I'd much rather it be her than turd or DeAsshole. (And, being in California, whateber limp noodle is run on the Dem side, my vote for an R in the primary won't hurt them a bit.)
Will have to keep that in mind in 2024 when I apply for mail in ballots - will have to do each ballot request individually rather than check the "all ballots for year" since doing that requires you to pick a party and only get those ballots in primaries. General doesn't matter.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.