It's Green Corn Tamale Season

And today is tamale day.
We usually shuck our own white corn but cheated and bought freshly made masa. Almost as good.
The wife's Nana's reciepie I s simply the best.
I've had my hand in making them since elementary school some 55ish years ago with a couple Mexican friends that lived down the street.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”
Attachments
307699471_6144900862191304_8920616067137821793_n (1).jpg
20220925_100552_resized.jpg

Re: It's Green Corn Tamale Season

Yeah so I found a dozen in the back of the freezer last week from last year I had vacuum packed that were still in perfect condition.
So being it is white corn season in Mehico which also means it's green corn tamale season I had the opportunity to stop in south Tucson last week at El Alote where they
semi loads of white corn and green chilies. It's a thing round here. Shucking, cutting kernals and grinding the corn can take a day itself. Thats why I bought their masa but I think they water it down.
Usually we make about 15 dozen tamales for us and the extended fam. But you need several extra hands for that. It was just the wife and I so 7 dozen which we will mostly hoard. lol

Christmas tamales round here are the red chilie variety. The question always is raisins or green olives in the tamales? I can do either but not both.
All ours are made from scratch usually. Fresh masa is so much better than store bought.
Years ago we stumbled upon this old mexican lady in Taos who had a special way to prepare the red chilie. It's to die for. I'll post it later.
The wifes Nana was 98 years old when she passed away and no one in her family learned to make tamales except my wife. Yeah she had two daughters and three sons that were to lazy to learn .

My wife will not eat anyone elses tamales so we have to make them if I want tamales. Restaurant or store bought just don't compare.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

We also make them from scratch; and I usually give out a ton during Christmas to work colleagues, neighbors, family, etcetera. One of my favorite times of the year is getting the giant steamer pot down out of the garage, and going to the Mexican market to get masa, corn husks & lard. My wife makes a carnitas filling for ours with homage seasonings rehydrated adobo and chili peppers. We get the whole family - all 7 of us - at our huge dining room table, in an assembly line to assemble them before steaming.

This was tradition my wife’s extended family did & she learned from her grandmother. It’s something we do every holiday season, and I certainly put the hurt on quite a few tamales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I can down several tamales with beans of course. And if your not using lard fahgetaboutit. hehe

So for the Christmas tamales ( red chilie) we rehydrate as well. This is how we do the red chilie sauce. Crack apart the dried red chilies and empty the seeds out. Break apart and lay out in a large flat pan and add water. Let them rest until they are like a thick piece of leather. Drain (save a bit of the water) and then add several garlic cloves. Stick them in the broiler on low and roast them until they get a tiny burn on the edges.
Then throw it all in a food processor add salt and left over water to taste. The roasting really adds depth of flavor.
We use brisket slow cooked in a crock pot with salt pepper and garlic, shred it up and then cook it in with the red sauce.

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:26 pm And today is tamale day.
We usually shuck our own white corn but cheated and bought freshly made masa. Almost as good.
The wife's Nana's reciepie I s simply the best.
I've had my hand in making them since elementary school some 55ish years ago with a couple Mexican friends that lived down the street.
I seriously want to hang out at your house. Tamales are my version of Mana from Heaven!!
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I had the first good tamale I’ve ever had the other day. It was fantastic. I’ve avoided tamales as I’ve had some really bad ones. My sister in law spent a year in Mexico and thinks she knows how to make them but hers suck. Of course I’d never tell her and she’d never admit it.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese