Re: Gavin Newsom on MSNBC

featureless wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:36 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 pm The same old got elected in 2020 which has so far saved our asses from a full fledged dictatorship.
I'd call that cutting it.
I'd call that squeaking by. Anybody seriously arguing we're better off than we were a couple decade ago? Holding pattern ain't cutting it.
Lucy and the football. Yeah, not cutting it.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:36 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 pm The same old got elected in 2020 which has so far saved our asses from a full fledged dictatorship.
I'd call that cutting it.
I'd call that squeaking by. Anybody seriously arguing we're better off than we were a couple decade ago? Holding pattern ain't cutting it.
The glass is more than half full at this point.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Ranked choice voting is straightforward and gaining momentum. The results from the use of ranked choice voting suggest it could be crucial in transforming democracy for the better without creating new political parties.

Take a city like Santa Fe: Nearly 70% of voters using the ranked choice system for the first time thought the tone of the election was more positive than prior ones. Also, a 2020 study found that in places with ranked choice voting, candidates deployed nicer terms when describing one another during debates. These findings make sense: To have a chance of winning in a ranked choice contest, candidates must be civil and appeal to a broad swath of voters.

Adopting ranked choice voting also leads to more diverse people running and holding positions of power. In places that use ranked choice voting, nearly half of all mayors and city council members are women. Further, in cities with ranked choice voting, more candidates of color run for office. By ensuring candidates — no matter their background — must reach as many voters as possible,

Ranked choice voting levels the playing field and fundamentally shifts the landscape of who runs for and ultimately wins elected office.
'
https://www.chicagotribune.com/opinion/ ... story.html

I"d give it a try. California is pretty one party, so I don't think I'll see it anytime soon.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

New York City changed to ranked choice voting and the current mayor was elected by that method. The top four candidates are ranked by voters, IIRC in the NYC election 3 out of 4 candidates were Democrats and one was not and a Democrat won, not surprising. Alaska started using ranked choice voting and Lisa Murkowski's US Senate seat and the open at-large US House seat will be decided among four candidates for each office. Ranked choice or "instant run off" voting is an alternative to the first-past-the-post electoral system we've used since the US was founded.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

While I don't agree with his veto of the requirement for children to go to Kindergarten (which helps a child's development and prepares them for school) I have to say that I'm largely impressed by his leadership skills.

He's a handsome man, a good public speaker, with the charisma of Clinton and thankfully, none of the baggage. He's led CA to a record budget surplus, is providing financial assistance to families due to inflation, instituted Covered CA for workers who have lousy employers that offer no health benefits, the list goes on. Can't say any other governor in the Union offering nearly as much in terms of platform or policy. I want government that has the people's back, works for them, by them.

"I know that there are those who say that we want to turn everything over to the government. I don't at all. I want the individual to meet their responsibilities and I want the States to meet their responsibilities. I think there is also a national responsibility." - 35th President

The only downsides he's had are confronting the problem of homelessness, and his 2A stance, but even on those he's taken a more pragmatic approach by listening to constituents, law enforcement, and community members.

So yeah, my vote would be for him.

I can't imagine Wallace Shawn's (Princess Bride) doppelganger from Florida, a careless hack who allowed many COVID deaths to slip by, who has passed draconian laws aimed at limiting the people's freedoms, being CIC. No way.

highdesert wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:51 am
F4FEver wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:29 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:38 pm It’s not the only right I worry about, but if someone wants to disarm people in general, I think why.
E1DAB380-B119-4F0B-94ED-1B16F9A3C85E.jpeg
Shamelessly stolen..
Ok, I'll play..how are you or anybody you know going to be 'disarmed'? Under what political landscape will this happen? Who will do it, who will pay for it?

There are more firearms that are more accessible today than any time in the recent past. Certainly since the AWB ended. Even with a DEM majority in all of the Fed government, another AWB isn't in the cards, regardless of ;hot mike' sound bites.

Gunbroker.com..search 'AR-15'..over 10,000 ads. Saame for 'Glock', Ruger, Sig Sauer...etc...

Yup, 'glass more than half full' for me in a VERY blue state. I want for nothing, have never had any problem finding and buying what I or my sons want. 30 guns between the 3 of us.
Even gun laws in blue states are different. Sure we can buy some guns in CA, not as many as in CO. We're restricted to guns CA allows on the state Roster, because CA says they are "safe" to own. Suppose CA, CO, CT...said car/truck buyers could only purchase vehicles on their "state roster" that they determined to be "safe and fuel efficient". Cars/trucks are lethal weapons just like guns, will residents accept it if their state says it. I think there will be a lot of push back.
First, isn't going to happen and no, a car or truck ISN'T just like a gun. I understand the issue with CA and guns. What I get tired of is the 'gun grabber', comin' for yer guns', 'cold dead fingers' type stuff that only riles up the non pro gun side. Add to it, the HUGE number of gun deaths, majority at the hand of people who legally obtained their guns...
Both are still turds.
I find this astonishing. trump is a dangerous criminal, a traitor who has tried to overturn a free and fair election. AND has created an entire class of people, many in congress, who STILL spout his lies and sedition. PLUS he stole highly classified documents, has a buddy-buddy relationship with our main enemy..And most likely has shared info with putin that is damaging our NATIONAL SECURITY RIGHT NOW....trump and his ilk are DANGEROUS to US democracy...no comparison to Newsom, none

Ya know, you can stamp your feet and not vote, which means nothing, and if you do, no fair complaining when the next POTUS says your kid has to say the lord's prayer each morning at his public school..Or your favorite book is burned, or your Trans or gay neighbor is arrested and sent to a 're-education camp. Or your pregnant relative, after learning their 'in womb' child is horribly deformed, will not survive, and they, with Doc, are arrested because they terminated the pregnancy. Or...after a fair election that the GOPathetic clearly didn't win, is overturned in the 'legislature'.....amazing.

But by god, we can sure buy lots of guns...astonishing.

DiamondDawg wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:23 am While I don't agree with his veto of the requirement for children to go to Kindergarten (which helps a child's development and prepares them for school) I have to say that I'm largely impressed by his leadership skills.

He's a handsome man, a good public speaker, with the charisma of Clinton and thankfully, none of the baggage. He's led CA to a record budget surplus, is providing financial assistance to families due to inflation, instituted Covered CA for workers who have lousy employers that offer no health benefits, the list goes on. Can't say any other governor in the Union offering nearly as much in terms of platform or policy. I want government that has the people's back, works for them, by them.

"I know that there are those who say that we want to turn everything over to the government. I don't at all. I want the individual to meet their responsibilities and I want the States to meet their responsibilities. I think there is also a national responsibility." - 35th President

The only downsides he's had are confronting the problem of homelessness, and his 2A stance, but even on those he's taken a more pragmatic approach by listening to constituents, law enforcement, and community members.

I can't imagine Wallace Shawn's (Princess Bride) doppelganger from Florida, a careless hack who allowed many COVID deaths to slip by, who has passed draconian laws aimed at limiting the people's freedoms, being CIC. No way.
Truth be told, the budget surplus is the result of good management, yes, but also the result of Jerry Brown's rainy day fund, which the dems have managed and maintained well. I do see his good management skills and agree with what you post here.

CDFingers

DiamondDawg wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:23 am While I don't agree with his veto of the requirement for children to go to Kindergarten (which helps a child's development and prepares them for school) I have to say that I'm largely impressed by his leadership skills.

Biden hasn't said if he's running or not, but Newsom is trying to outflank Harris if Biden decides not to run or he could challenge Biden in primaries. Presidential candidates are under intense scrutiny, if there is anything about Newsom that he's doesn't want coming out it probably will. We know he had an affair with the wife of his campaign manager that apparently broke up his first marriage. His ex-wife is Kimberly Guilfoyle, currently the girlfriend of Donald Trump, Jr and she's a Fox TV commentator. That's all in the public record, but journalists will dig like Donald Trump's "Extra" interview was discovered during his 2016 run.

Newsom and DeSantis have legislatures dominated by their parties, they don't have to work across isles to get legislation passed, they live in blue worlds and red worlds. That's not the world of the US Congress.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Newsome delivers:
A new law signed on Friday will allow Californians to legally jaywalk without being ticketed.

Pedestrians can now cross the street outside of an intersection without breaking the law as long as it is safe to do so.

The bill, AB 2147, also known as The Freedom To Walk Act, was introduced by Assembly member Phil Ting and signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

The law will take effect on Jan. 1, 2023.
https://ktla.com/news/new-law-allows-ca ... y-jaywalk/

So don't give me none of your lip. [/s]

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:18 pm Newsome delivers:
A new law signed on Friday will allow Californians to legally jaywalk without being ticketed.

Pedestrians can now cross the street outside of an intersection without breaking the law as long as it is safe to do so.

The bill, AB 2147, also known as The Freedom To Walk Act, was introduced by Assembly member Phil Ting and signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

The law will take effect on Jan. 1, 2023.
https://ktla.com/news/new-law-allows-ca ... y-jaywalk/

So don't give me none of your lip. [/s]

CDFingers
My Mom is laughing in her grave. Right at the end of WWII she was working in LA and was going to work and jaywalked was stopped by a LAPD officer and given a ticket. She noticed his last name and hers was the same in talking to hime he turned out to be a distant cousin. It was the only ticket she ever got.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

FrontSight wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:49 am There exists a certain segment of the population that tends to really respond to rhetoric and all of the “culture war” stuff. Most of us just see right through it as bombastic posturing and bullshit, but a disturbingly high number of people actually take political bullshit straight to heart and internalize it.

In the current culture war we really only have one side fighting, and the other side is trying to pretend they’re not in a culture war. So the left needs a good, loud voice to articulate their rhetoric. I don’t like political rhetoric, I prefer facts and truth, but the sad reality is there is a sizeable segment of the population who are completely emotional, irrational, impulsive, and non chalant about politics… For those we need someone who articulates bullshit (and non bullshit) well in front of a camera.

I’m about as far from a single issue voter as there is, so I just don’t care about his 2A stance, I’m worried about the Republic as long as the MAGA mindset prevails, I will vote against them. So that means, despite the fact I don’t much care for the Democratic part either, I WILL be voting for Democrats because that’s the best defense against these assholes. I look forward to the day I can go back to voting 3rd party (I like protest votes), and be able to do so knowing I’m not short-changing our republic.
^^^THIS!^^^

For me at least, the "Lucy with her football" analogy doesn't work because I've never expected any president to usher in some liberal utopia. I've always understood the limits of the system.

If I had a magic wand, I'd create a robust multi-party system with ranked choice voting across the board, public financing for all candidates and no PACs or dark money allowed but I don't have a magic wand and neither does anyone here. I would absolutely love better candidates but I don't reckon sleeping in on election day or stamping my foot and refusing to participate will create them.

Every once in a while, in various primaries, I have the pleasure of voting for someone I actually believe in. Otherwise, I engage with the reality that actually exists and vote strategically.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

DJD100 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:12 pm
FrontSight wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:49 am There exists a certain segment of the population that tends to really respond to rhetoric and all of the “culture war” stuff. Most of us just see right through it as bombastic posturing and bullshit, but a disturbingly high number of people actually take political bullshit straight to heart and internalize it.

In the current culture war we really only have one side fighting, and the other side is trying to pretend they’re not in a culture war. So the left needs a good, loud voice to articulate their rhetoric. I don’t like political rhetoric, I prefer facts and truth, but the sad reality is there is a sizeable segment of the population who are completely emotional, irrational, impulsive, and non chalant about politics… For those we need someone who articulates bullshit (and non bullshit) well in front of a camera.

I’m about as far from a single issue voter as there is, so I just don’t care about his 2A stance, I’m worried about the Republic as long as the MAGA mindset prevails, I will vote against them. So that means, despite the fact I don’t much care for the Democratic part either, I WILL be voting for Democrats because that’s the best defense against these assholes. I look forward to the day I can go back to voting 3rd party (I like protest votes), and be able to do so knowing I’m not short-changing our republic.
^^^THIS!^^^
PLUS LOTS

You're right GG that the system written in our constitution has limits both on the federal and state governments, the judiciary as an equal branch isn't written in the document. Our system is not about fast change, it's about compromise.

It's election time and wedge issues are the way that both parties motivate their bases to get turn out. Abortion and gun control are wedge issues on the left and immigration and crime are wedge issues on the right. There are plenty of voices on both sides of the political spectrum defending and attacking ,plus interest groups pushing them. Democrats aren't quiet on abortion and Republicans aren't quiet on immigration, there is plenty of yelling from both sides.

Humans are tribal, territorial, and aggressively violent. Governments are instituted among the People as a way to mitigate our natures. Thus, we must conclude that democracy is a messy business, the least messy of all the other alternatives. Sometimes we color outside the lines and must admonish ourselves against future idiocy.

CDFingers

Bill Maher, Friday night on his show "Real Time",
Maher argued against some Democrats saying Biden’s age come 2024 puts him in a vulnerable place for re-election. “It’s very hard to take the nomination away from the president,” Maher said. “What I could see is replacing the vice president because she’s not very popular anywhere. And it didn’t seem to work out. And I don’t know. That’s been done before in a ticket.”
Flanagan agreed, saying of Harris, “In addition to being, for some reason, an off-putting person, she also has, I think, a lot of baggage that probably wouldn’t do well under a lot of scrutiny.”

“I just think she’s a bad politician. And I don’t…I mean…I don’t think…I think she’s a very bright person,” Maher stumbled. “But I can see them doing that because a lot of the problem with Biden being old is, ‘Oh, if he dies then you know you’re gonna get this person.’ OK, so here’s the problem with the Democratic party. They’re so boxed in by identity politics that you cannot conceive of a Democratic ticket that doesn’t have a woman and person of color on it. And pretty soon you’re gonna line up behind that gay Latino and you’re gonna have to have, you know, a deaf Eskimo be the…”
https://www.thewrap.com/bill-maher-sugg ... ic-ticket/

I agree with Maher about Harris, she was a poor administrator as SF DA and CA AG. I doubt Biden would ever drop Harris though, Black voters are the backbone of the Democratic Party especially Black women and Biden doesn't want to piss them off going into the 2024 campaign, assuming he runs.

Lucy is about politicians and parties saying vote just one more time for us, we’re the lesser of two evils. The notion is at some point they would come to the table and recognize some of the issues that the people they asking to vote for them actually want. The problem is they never will come to recognize or address those issues. It’s not about wanting unrealistic fast change. This tango has been pulled ever since I started to vote or even before. So if forty plus years is too short a time, how long, just one more election we promise. I say that’s just BS and some of you should admit we will never be allowed to kick the football with these two parties.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:18 pm Lucy is about politicians and parties saying vote just one more time for us, we’re the lesser of two evils. The notion is at some point they would come to the table and recognize some of the issues that the people they asking to vote for them actually want. The problem is they never will come to recognize or address those issues. It’s not about wanting unrealistic fast change. This tango has been pulled ever since I started to vote or even before. So if forty plus years is too short a time, how long, just one more election we promise. I say that’s just BS and some of you should admit we will never be allowed to kick the football with these two parties.
So...protest by sitting this one and many other elections, out. And sorry, no complaining when the 'American Taliban' tells you or your friends and family to do things you don't like...Like say a christian prayer before a movie you sit for. Or find out that book you want to read at the library has been burned...Or your LGBTQ neighbor and friend has been arrested and sent to a 're-education' camp..if you don't think this crap can't happen, guess again.
Last edited by F4FEver on Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

sikacz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:18 pm Lucy is about politicians and parties saying vote just one more time for us, we’re the lesser of two evils. The notion is at some point they would come to the table and recognize some of the issues that the people they asking to vote for them actually want. The problem is they never will come to recognize or address those issues. It’s not about wanting unrealistic fast change. This tango has been pulled ever since I started to vote or even before. So if forty plus years is too short a time, how long, just one more election we promise. I say that’s just BS and some of you should admit we will never be allowed to kick the football with these two parties.
I agree, the two parties play the bait and switch game all the time, holding out hope that this will change or that will change and very little ever changes. Or that if you don't vote for them in this election, the world is coming to an end - yes it's bullshit. And party loyalists get played every time and willingly propagate the party line and continue to drink the Kool Aid.

The important thing is to vote and we don't have to vote for every political office on the ballot. Whatever method a voter uses to determine the best candidate or no candidate is fine, it's personal and it is their decision.

Newsom runs with it up and down the West coast.
SAN FRANCISCO – In the latest of several climate partnerships among Pacific Coast governments, California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia signed a new Statement of Cooperation (SOC) Thursday recommitting the region to climate action.

The partnership promotes collaboration between the four regional governments on accelerating the transition to a low-carbon economy, investing in climate infrastructure like EV charging stations and a clean electric grid, and protecting communities from climate impacts like drought, wildfire, heat waves and sea-level changes. The SOC includes a major focus on equity, ensuring no communities are left behind in the transition to a low-carbon future.

--snrp--

“In California, we punch above our weight when it comes to climate action – but our actions can only do so much without the rest of the world at our side. The Pacific Coast is raising the bar for tackling the climate crisis while also ensuring every community is included in our efforts. The West will continue to lead the way toward a carbon-free future that supports our economy, our people and our planet,” said Governor Newsom.
https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/10/06/west- ... te-crisis/

I'm pretty sure Fox Snooze will light its hair afire and run about aimlessly, but I won't look. I'll just assume.

CDFingers