Re: Getting a license to purchase and carry a firearm in the Czech Republic

SunRiseWest wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:07 am
CDFingers wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 pm Duck hunters fire into the air a lot.

CDFingers
Incredibly, that never occurred to me. Dead serious. I'm at the counter filling in the little circles thinking, 'could this be a trick question? When would it be legal to shoot in the air? If you were being attacked by drones? Burglar on the roof?'

Grew up in Manhattan. Wasn't a lot of duck hunting at the Central Park Reservoir. I guess you can take the boy out of the city, but...!
Certainly isn’t very sporting to shoot at a swimming or resting duck on the water or ground.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:51 pm Just as a comparison and not advocation, CA requires a test to purchase, including a safe handling demonstration, we have safe storage requirements, we have a 1 in 30 law, we have red flag laws, we have an AWB, we have a safe handgun roster, we have a mag limit, NFA items are illegal, we have ammo background checks and we have "might issue depending on which county you're in" CCW policies. We still have assholes murdering people with firearms. But it has certainly infringed on law abiding firearms owners.
Cuz none of the things you mentioned have any impact on 'assholes with guns'. Because a lot of those assholes, jumped thru the hoops, and legally bought their gun anyway.
No 'asshole' test to buy a gun...right now, in Colorado, the only 'test' is a driver's license, a clean 4473 and $...VERY blue state....

F4FEver wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:04 am
featureless wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:51 pm Just as a comparison and not advocation, CA requires a test to purchase, including a safe handling demonstration, we have safe storage requirements, we have a 1 in 30 law, we have red flag laws, we have an AWB, we have a safe handgun roster, we have a mag limit, NFA items are illegal, we have ammo background checks and we have "might issue depending on which county you're in" CCW policies. We still have assholes murdering people with firearms. But it has certainly infringed on law abiding firearms owners.
Cuz none of the things you mentioned have any impact on 'assholes with guns'. Because a lot of those assholes, jumped thru the hoops, and legally bought their gun anyway.
No 'asshole' test to buy a gun...right now, in Colorado, the only 'test' is a driver's license, a clean 4473 and $...VERY blue state....
Yes and no. Most gun homicides are with firearms that weren't legally acquired. They happen largely in a certain demographic that largely preys upon itself and is mostly ignored by the media and the politicians. So the gun laws do nothing there. Institutionalized racism continues to hammer that demographic and gun laws are just a tiny fraction thereof.

The legally acquired assholes are a much smaller percentage but get the majority of media coverage.

In both instances, root cause mitigation would go much further in reducing gun homicides. Instead, we continue with more laws.

I've said before, a national license based on objective criteria (background check and free training) is something I'd support, provided it carried with it keep and bear what you want and how you want. Enough with the "just one more law will fix it" approach.

I'll be in the minority as usual preferring mandatory training for purchase and possession (one time with a lifetime cert), along with mandatory issuing of CCW to those who can qualify.

Insurance is another thing, maybe government supplied and affordable (CCW holders should be required to have insurance as they're more likely to shoot an innocent etc!)?

Not everyone is qualified to drive a car (which also requires insurance!), just as not everyone is qualified to own and/or carry firearms.

However, there also needs to be federal/national laws on this stuff so that when you're good to go in one state, you're good to go in the other 49 states as well, so, forget about it as it'll never happen with State's rights being the obvious limitation, along with the anti-2A whiners.

In addition, much more drastic punishments for use of or implied use of deadly force, i.e. if you kill in commission of a violent crime (not self-defense or defense of property, or defense of others etc), then you should expect to die when convicted IMO, same when you use the threat of deadly force (display a gun or knife or hammer etc in an armed robbery for example, as you're implying via your actions that you're willing to kill to further your criminal enterprise).

Currently violent criminals know that they can kill someone, and sometimes get out in as little as 3 years with good behavior if pled down to manslaughter (often times a bit more, 7 - 15 with good behavior for murder), so that's a few years of gang life behind bars (as one needs gang support behind bars to survive in many cases), and then they're out worse than when they went in (prison reform is something else that's needed but that's for another time...). Eye for an eye IMO, if you kill, you die, and if you attempt to kill or imply by your actions that you're willing to kill in commission of a violent crime, you die. That alone would hopefully minimize violent crime. You can still be a criminal if desired, just a non-violent one LOL (though unfortunately this would have little effect on the lone wolf incel mass murderer type or political/religious fanatics I'm afraid, as they simply don't give a damn about living)!

Yes, of course the above needs to be done in addition to root cause mitigation, as no doubt the 13% of the US population that's responsible for roughly 50% of US gun violence needs to be lifted up, but ultimately nothing gives anyone the right to threaten to or imply to use, or use deadly force in commission of violent crime period.

/rant

Taking cover! :surrender:

featureless wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:25 am
F4FEver wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:04 am
Yes and no. Most gun homicides are with firearms that weren't legally acquired. They happen largely in a certain demographic that largely preys upon itself and is mostly ignored by the media and the politicians. So the gun laws do nothing there. Institutionalized racism continues to hammer that demographic and gun laws are just a tiny fraction thereof.

The legally acquired assholes are a much smaller percentage but get the majority of media coverage.

In both instances, root cause mitigation would go much further in reducing gun homicides. Instead, we continue with more laws.

I've said before, a national license based on objective criteria (background check and free training) is something I'd support, provided it carried with it keep and bear what you want and how you want. Enough with the "just one more law will fix it" approach.
Agree but 'almost' 100% of the mass shooters used legally obtained guns.
Agree with that also. With the recent media attention of crappy cops doing crappy jobs...LE isn't there to help you, even if they ARE 'there'.
As an example
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/24/us/chris ... e-shooting

I train, I carry, my son's train, they carry...Protect me and mine, stay vigilant.

I believe that vigilance is key--yet scapegoating "the gun" requires in my estimation more vigilance. Oh, sure, guns are groovy and all, but scapegoating the gun prevents attention to the finger behind the trigger. Root cause mitigation requires considerable and persistent efforts. It's difficult to persuade pols to cough up the bucks. I believe it's cheaper to scapegoat the gun, which of course will solve nothing.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Personally I don't see national licensing happening unless our hypersensitized political environment cools. Right now it behooves both political parties and the media to keep banging the drums of division and hate, it's what they do.

National reciprocity might be possible, but it won't be what we're currently thinking. Big states like CA and NY will use their House demanding to retain restrictions in their states. In the end the two parties representing gun owners (Republicans) and the anti-gun crowd (Democrats) will have to hash out a compromise with the media constantly snipping on the sides. They could take years or decades.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DJD100 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:22 pm I'll be in the minority as usual preferring mandatory training for purchase and possession (one time with a lifetime cert), along with mandatory issuing of CCW to those who can qualify.

Insurance is another thing, maybe government supplied and affordable (CCW holders should be required to have insurance as they're more likely to shoot an innocent etc!)?

Not everyone is qualified to drive a car (which also requires insurance!), just as not everyone is qualified to own and/or carry firearms.

However, there also needs to be federal/national laws on this stuff so that when you're good to go in one state, you're good to go in the other 49 states as well, so, forget about it as it'll never happen with State's rights being the obvious limitation, along with the anti-2A whiners.

In addition, much more drastic punishments for use of or implied use of deadly force, i.e. if you kill in commission of a violent crime (not self-defense or defense of property, or defense of others etc), then you should expect to die when convicted IMO, same when you use the threat of deadly force (display a gun or knife or hammer etc in an armed robbery for example, as you're implying via your actions that you're willing to kill to further your criminal enterprise).

Currently violent criminals know that they can kill someone, and sometimes get out in as little as 3 years with good behavior if pled down to manslaughter (often times a bit more, 7 - 15 with good behavior for murder), so that's a few years of gang life behind bars (as one needs gang support behind bars to survive in many cases), and then they're out worse than when they went in (prison reform is something else that's needed but that's for another time...). Eye for an eye IMO, if you kill, you die, and if you attempt to kill or imply by your actions that you're willing to kill in commission of a violent crime, you die. That alone would hopefully minimize violent crime. You can still be a criminal if desired, just a non-violent one LOL (though unfortunately this would have little effect on the lone wolf incel mass murderer type or political/religious fanatics I'm afraid, as they simply don't give a damn about living)!

Yes, of course the above needs to be done in addition to root cause mitigation, as no doubt the 13% of the US population that's responsible for roughly 50% of US gun violence needs to be lifted up, but ultimately nothing gives anyone the right to threaten to or imply to use, or use deadly force in commission of violent crime period.

/rant

Taking cover! :surrender:
The death penalty is one of those issues I go back and forth about all the time. I was all for it for a long time, until my parents had a friend who was a judge. He was sympathetic, and said, "Yeah, I used to be, as well. Then I got this job, and I saw a lot of cases where the perps really seemed to be seeking state-assisted suicide." At least in the '80s, he said there were a LOT of them.

Life or long prison sentences are really nasty, though it depends a lot on the prison. There should be harsh punishments for brandishing, agreed, but black-and-white laws are really tricky and the devil is in the details. I had one patient with TBI once who had an incident every 18 months or so where he would be really violent-- mostly not towards people, but occasionally towards friends or family. A good prosecutor could have argued that he was mentally competent, because that's what anyone would think, even if you'd known him a year. And TBI is really hard to confirm sometimes. Fortunately? He's also probably too smart and knows himself too well to own a gun. At least he seemed that way when he discharged.
highdesert wrote:
sikacz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:56 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:34 pm I'm not advocating for the Czech type licensing to purchase guns and for concealed carry. It's their system that seems to work for all political parties in their republic. We have a different constitution and laws in regard to firearms that's very different from our two closest neighbors, Canada and Mexico. I'm for talking about firearms laws in other countries including criticisms of their systems, discussion doesn't mean advocacy.
True enough, I just get a bit edgy on these discussions since I’m pretty sure where the gun prohibitionists would go with these type restrictions. To the prohibitionists it’s a step toward a system where gun ownership becomes a limited privilege for only the approved right kind of people. BTW, didn’t mean to imply you were advocating such.
No offense taken. I agree the goal of the anti-gunners is more and more gun restrictions and moving eventually to confiscation. CA, NJ and some other states are prime examples that they'll keep adding more and more restrictions. They have this utopian idea that once firearms are banned from most civilians that our society will be magically transformed and criminals will lay down their arms and there will be no more violence. And they probably think authoritarian regimes like Russia, China, Iran...will all disappear. They got sold this bill of goods by Everytown and other Bloomie and anti-gun group like the US Democratic Party.

There are already attacks on parts of 1A by the right and the left with cancel culture.
In a cancel culture, we appoint ourselves the arbiters of right and wrong and also the judge and jury, because thanks to social media, we get to dole out punishment.
Sadly #MeToo is a prime example of cancel culture, feeding frenzies on Twitter have become judge and jury.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... el-culture
https://www.procon.org/headlines/is-can ... r-society/
I don't think confiscation is likely happen even here in CA, at least during the next 20 to 50 years-- but I want to keep a not-so-lazy eye on the roster, because I've been wrong about a lot of things. How the hell would they do it? What cop is going to want to go around knocking on doors and asking people to surrender their weapons? What soldier is going to follow that order? The American public is an ornery bunch. We aren't sheeple yet.

I am a huge supporter of Title IX-- when enforced correctly, it works pretty well, and I've seen it work-- but I despise the "Me, too!" movement-- even the concept is repellent, like "Let me pile on to the next trendy idea! I wanna be a Go-Along!" I don't use the phrase 'cancel culture' b/c that's how thoroughly I reject the construct.

Believe it or not, the folks who seem most horrified by the Social Media Feeding Frenzy? Young women. I've met several who basically reacted the way most people would about driving after drinking a dozen beers. Like, "I'm ashamed that a small minority of people are doing this, this isn't Title IX, this is not feminism, and yet there are three women I know piling on to bullying this guy who did nothing anyone didn't do as a drunk freshman. How the hell do I deal with this?"

Fortunately, I've been seeing less and less of that the last two years.
CDFingers wrote: Well, of course the laws hassle law abiding gun owners. We're only one who follow them. Should we abandon all laws? No. Democracy is a messy business.

As an aside, The Resting Duck sounds like a great name for a pub.

CDFingers
That is, indeed, a great name for a pub, or even a frou-frou restaurant in Larchmont Village, though it sounds a bit more like Towson, Maryland. I dislike hunting, love animals, and love ducks-- one summer we had a pair that used out pool as an Air BnB, which was the cause of much excitement for our dogs.

Our terrier's favorite toys are stuffed ducks, a large one and a small one, that are known in these parts as "Mallard Major" and "Mallard Minor."

On the subject of ducks, the Peabody Hotel marching ducks in Memphis, TN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFZT7Cidc4
https://www.peabodymemphis.com/peabody-ducks

A license to drive a motor vehicle is defined as a 'privilege' in many states, they control all parts of it. I doubt any state enshrines it in their state constitutions, it's just state statute law. The right to keep and bear arms is a US constitutional right and rights in the federal constitution restrain both the federal and state governments.

TBIs are tough, the NFL denied for years that football players who got repeated concussions had lifelong TBI problems. Sports players get it, soldiers suffer from it and even people in auto accidents.
https://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjur ... %20injury.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan