Oath Keepers Founder Elmer Stewart Rhodes Convicted Of Seditious Conspiracy

Two out of five defendants linked to the far-right Oath Keepers group were found guilty on seditious conspiracy charges Tuesday in what was the government’s highest-stakes Capitol riot trial held so far.

The Oath Keepers’ founder, Elmer Stewart Rhodes, and a member who ran the Florida chapter, Kelly Meggs, were both found guilty in a verdict that came after three days of deliberations. On other charges, however, the jury was mixed, finding Rhodes guilty of obstructing an official proceeding but not guilty of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding. Meggs was guilty of both of those.

The three other defendants were found guilty on lesser charges.
Full article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/oath-ke ... 13a8b004c4

Well this is a start. Hope it ends with conviction of TOS.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Oath Keepers Founder Elmer Stewart Rhodes Convicted Of Seditious Conspiracy

jc57 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:46 pm They'll just all patiently wait for their 2025 pardon when their dear leader retakes the throne.
It won't be the orange turd - he will never sit in oval orifice again. Any other right wing winning POTUS would have to be daft (meaning possible) to pardon these miscreants.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I agree with FS, we'll have to see how Rhodes' appeals go and on what grounds he seeks to appeal. Foregone conclusion with a DC trial and jury, but DC is where the crimes occurred and I don't think he tried to get a change of venue. Rhodes was convicted of seditious conspiracy, obstructing official proceedings of Congress and destroying evidence and acquitted of two conspiracy charges. Now to the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit and possibly SCOTUS.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yes, excellent look into the life of a disturbed man propped up as a leader by other disturbed men. Rhodes turns out to be a unibomber type writing manifestos into the wee hours of the morning, convinced that his own brand of extemism will be his ticket to recognition and importance in his own little mind. Here, for a time he got that recognition but had to stage more and more extreme acts in order to stay on top of the heap.

Kind of like TOS in that way. These are not really leaders. They are but followers of a particular trend in order to stay relevant in their own little world.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I've read how difficult it is to get a conviction for seditious conspiracy. That it was able to be inflicted upon two of the Oaf Keepers is significant. Moreover, the orange spirochete knows he's in the cross hairs. I also find it no coincidence that Ivanka and Jared along with their kids are "visiting" UAE, a country with no extradition treaty with America. They are all scared. And they should be.

CDFingers
While the firelight's aglow strange shadows from the flames will grow
'Til things we've never seen will seem familiar

CDFingers wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:07 pm I've read how difficult it is to get a conviction for seditious conspiracy. That it was able to be inflicted upon two of the Oaf Keepers is significant. Moreover, the orange spirochete knows he's in the cross hairs. I also find it no coincidence that Ivanka and Jared along with their kids are "visiting" UAE, a country with no extradition treaty with America. They are all scared. And they should be.

CDFingers
But we can freeze their Assets.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

:laugh: I see what you did there.

Yes, this guilty conviction is exceedingly difficult for prosecutors to return from a jury. But in this case there was so much evidence that there was an organized plan prepared by the Oathkeepers and actions made in the lead-up and on Jan 6 which resulted in the interference of the workings of the federal government. But I do not see Stewart Rhodes as any sort of big fish here even as I celebrate this trial result. He is a tool. The Oathkeepers were all fools for the using.

This conviction is particularly significant because it completely eliminates arguments (some even on this board, Yaklit?) that Jan 6 was just a bunch of yahoos who got caught up in the heat of the moment rather than any organized conspiracy against the government. Well this conviction provides straight up incendiary ammo for the Jan 6 Committee and special council Jack Smith to go after the inciter and chief himself for inciting the violence at the Capitol.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Greengunner wrote:
highdesert wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:23 am Interesting BBC article gives some history of Oath Keepers through the eyes of his eldest son.:

Stewart Rhodes' son: ‘How I escaped my father’s militia’
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63709446
Thanks for that. Fascinating read.
Seconded.

Not surprised to learn Stewart Rhodes was an abusive father with major untreated mental illness; as expected.

They all go for the racist stuff, don’t they? Oath keepers “counter protest” to the killing of Micheal brown by the Ferguson Police. I’ll never get how these nominally “anti-state” militias go in for state-sponsored violence against POCs. Just shows they are a bunch of white supremacy scum at heart. They should embrace groups like the black panthers if they were truly “anti-state.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:35 pm
Greengunner wrote:
highdesert wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:23 am Interesting BBC article gives some history of Oath Keepers through the eyes of his eldest son.:

Thanks for that. Fascinating read.
Seconded.

Not surprised to learn Stewart Rhodes was an abusive father with major untreated mental illness; as expected.

They all go for the racist stuff, don’t they? Oath keepers “counter protest” to the killing of Micheal brown by the Ferguson Police. I’ll never get how these nominally “anti-state” militias go in for state-sponsored violence against POCs. Just shows they are a bunch of white supremacy scum at heart. They should embrace groups like the black panthers if they were truly “anti-state.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Oath Keepers are just a newer version of the KKK. As for them being anti-state. They are nay anti-state when the state cracks down on them. From what I have read and watched the Black Panther Party was not anti-state as much as they were against inequities and actions by the state against black people.

Thanks for this. I found this particularly chilling:

"I have no confidence in the United States resisting a growing fascist movement," he said.

On the one hand, he may not have the most objective perspective, and could have a bit of PTSD from growing up the way he did, and being around so many crypto-fascist extremists.

On the other, he has an insider's perspective that's probably worth paying attention to. Really admire his commitment to helping others-- his family, and the people he serves with his work.
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.”
― Hunter S. Thompson