I went overboard…

… and am happily swimming in revolver-land.

I didn’t plan to get anything beyond a very cheap .38 special, but the more I tried friends’ snubbies at the range, I realized that I wanted double action with concealed hammer, .357 capability, and steel frame for weight. I started noticing little differences in double action trigger pulls. What snagged my attention about the Kimber K6S CDP, besides the smoothness of it, is the way that this particular double action trigger allows to stage just before firing, almost liking setting it for single action. I also really appreciate the sights, which resemble the kind of sights that I enjoy on semi-auto pistols.

Definitely was a case of “mission creep” and “budget creep,” but after several sessions of shooting, I’m happy about so many features of this revolver. Now I’d like to find a good pocket holster as well as an OWB holster.

Re: I went overboard…

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:40 am Nice looking piece. I like the two tone and wood. Just wondering about the set screw there by the trigger. Never seen one like that. Is that so it don't crack?
Not sure what you mean, but if you mean the hex screw, that’s for attaching the side panel and is roughly in the same place on lots of revolvers.

Northern wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:33 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:40 am Nice looking piece. I like the two tone and wood. Just wondering about the set screw there by the trigger. Never seen one like that. Is that so it don't crack?
Not sure what you mean, but if you mean the hex screw, that’s for attaching the side panel and is roughly in the same place on lots of revolvers.
Oh, well I don't have one of those on my blackhawk or SP101. Not sure I noticed any on S&W either.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:40 pm
Oh, well I don't have one of those on my blackhawk or SP101. Not sure I noticed any on S&W either.
If you look at the Smith website, you’ll see them in that same position on pretty much every model. Same with Colt, except the panel is on the other side of the gun. Ruger must have a different design. There are definitely some unique design elements in Kimber revolvers but this is not one of them.

Edited to add: Rugers disassemble in a totally different manner than Kimbers, Smiths, and Colts, which generally have side plates held in by several screws, one of which is near the trigger (and others are hidden under the grips).
Last edited by Northern on Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:41 pm
If you look at the Smith website, you’ll see them in that same position on pretty much every model. Same with Colt, except the panel is on the other side of the gun. Ruger must have a different design. There are definitely some unique design elements in Kimber revolvers but this is not one of them.

Edited to add: Rugers disassemble in a totally different manner than Kimbers, Smiths, and Colts, which generally have side plates held in by several screws, one of which is near the trigger (and others are hidden under the grips).
Well I'll be. Thanks
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:10 pm
Northern wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:41 pm

Well I'll be. Thanks
Have you taken your Rugers apart? I was just looking at a Video about it and the way they are designed is ingenious.

Nice. I've been looking at the K6s ever since I shot one. I could've used padding on the backstrap with .357, and the sights are supposedly regulated for full-house 158 grainers. Grant Cunningham had a hand in the design. With recent inflation, I've no idea if or when I'll ever afford one, but I'm happy to recommend them.

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:37 am @ Northern, no I have not yet. I'm kinda scared I'll never get them back together. Got a link?
I put a lighter spring in my SP 101. Can't remember which spring it was, but disassembly/reassembly, though scary, wound up being pretty easy. And I've taken it down to get at the ejector rod. Lots of videos out there. These are three that I've previously watched, so they're probably what I went with. Worst mistake I made was using a cheap paper clip to hold the mainspring together. Don't know why I didn't use the pin stashed in the grip.

https://youtu.be/gM5lNV7EEug

https://youtu.be/StaEheahUmc

https://youtu.be/YkKbc89zvvg

Thanks.

To return to the point about sight regulation, I didn’t see any evidence, when shooting various .38 spl loads this weekend, that the sights were regulated by Kimber for some sort of extra powerful Buffalo Bore .357 load, as was discussed in some reviews of the K6S from the earlier days of its production. I’ll explore further but it wasn’t hitting low at 15 yards as would be expected if the earlier sight regulation comments remained true. Like a lot of internet stuff, it may be outdated yet continues to be echoed.

Northern wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:21 pm Thanks.

To return to the point about sight regulation, I didn’t see any evidence, when shooting various .38 spl loads this weekend, that the sights were regulated by Kimber for some sort of extra powerful Buffalo Bore .357 load, as was discussed in some reviews of the K6S from the earlier days of its production. I’ll explore further but it wasn’t hitting low at 15 yards as would be expected if the earlier sight regulation comments remained true. Like a lot of internet stuff, it may be outdated yet continues to be echoed.
I don't have the receipts on this, as they say, because I'm too lazy to keep good notes and I have the memory of an alcoholic toddler, but my experience in handloading a wide range of bullet weights and velocities in revolvers is that, unless you are talking about distances at which trajectory actually matters, meaning more than 50 yards, bullet weight affects point of impact more than velocity. My observation was that light, slow bullets hit lower than either heavy, slow bullets or heavy, fast bullets. (I don't usually shoot light, fast bullets out of revolvers, but the few I've used also went low, IIRC.) My GP100 has fixed sights and pretty much all 158 grain loads hit close enough to the same place at 50 feet, if you're not scoring Bullseye targets. 125s go quite a bit lower.

This makes sense to me, because at a given bullet weight, a hot load accelerates the bullet AND the gun more than a light load. The bullet leaves the gun sooner, but the gun rotated faster so the angle of muzzle climb isn't much different.

Of course, if you grip the gun harder when using a hot load than a light load, you've introduced a new variable. If you've actually stiffened your hands, wrists, elbows, etc, I'd expect the hot load to hit lower.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.