Re: Democratic Virginia legislators introduce bills to ban "assault firearms," std-cap mags

In VA Democrats captured both houses of the state legislature in the recent election, so they can introduce any bill they want. However for it to become law the bill has to be signed by the governor and VA has a Republican governor Glenn Youngkin and he's unlikely to sign it. Democrats don't have a supermajority in both chambers so they can't override his veto.

Biden's already talking about his agenda for his second term in office and gun control is one of the major items on his list. That energizes anti-gun Dems, but it also energizes pro 2A voters.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Democratic Virginia legislators introduce bills to ban "assault firearms," std-cap mags

highdesert wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:54 am In VA Democrats captured both houses of the state legislature in the recent election, so they can introduce any bill they want. However for it to become law the bill has to be signed by the governor and VA has a Republican governor Glenn Youngkin and he's unlikely to sign it. Democrats don't have a supermajority in both chambers so they can't override his veto.

Biden's already talking about his agenda for his second term in office and gun control is one of the major items on his list. That energizes anti-gun Dems, but it also energizes pro 2A voters.
One of the first things biden put his attention to was gun control in his first term, in the first months. He should have had other priorities. He’s an irresponsible ass for riding the anti gun agenda, but as the godfather of the original ban I don’t expect change from a fossil that can never admit to a mistake.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I've completely given up hope of blue area circuit courts applying Heller or Bruen with any honesty. We'll see if any hardware ban cases ever make it back to SCOTUS and there's a new ruling that will be ignored while rights continue to be interest balanced away for an illusion of public safety. This should have been settled after the Miller SCOTUS opinion in the 1930s. Arms useful for militia are protected. That absolutely includes magazines and AWs. Yet here we are...

featureless wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:51 am I've completely given up hope of blue area circuit courts applying Heller or Bruen with any honesty. We'll see if any hardware ban cases ever make it back to SCOTUS and there's a new ruling that will be ignored while rights continue to be interest balanced away for an illusion of public safety. This should have been settled after the Miller SCOTUS opinion in the 1930s. Arms useful for militia are protected. That absolutely includes magazines and AWs. Yet here we are...
Agree and same.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

It's clear that I'm far left of most Democrats. I consider Bernie Sanders and AOC to be centrists at best.

The Overton Window in the US is WAY away from center, and I think my own positions on things have moved leftward in effort to counter that trend.

I wish they'd be honest about just what an "Assault Weapon" is--most of their definitions have just about nothing to do with how the firearm operates, to the point that I put tan furniture on my AR-platform so that it doesn't look as much like a "scary black rifle." If the Mini 14 wasn't so pricey, I'd consider switching to that format instead of my ARs.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:52 pm It's clear that I'm far left of most Democrats. I consider Bernie Sanders and AOC to be centrists at best.

The Overton Window in the US is WAY away from center, and I think my own positions on things have moved leftward in effort to counter that trend.

I wish they'd be honest about just what an "Assault Weapon" is--most of their definitions have just about nothing to do with how the firearm operates, to the point that I put tan furniture on my AR-platform so that it doesn't look as much like a "scary black rifle." If the Mini 14 wasn't so pricey, I'd consider switching to that format instead of my ARs.
Definitely agree with the bold. Also would love honesty in the discussion on guns, above all honesty in acknowledging that guns are not the root cause of violence, but our failure to address social issues is. One can’t have freedom and liberty by rescinding or limiting rights. In the end it addresses nothing and makes rights a privilege determined by whoever is in power.

sikacz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 am
BearPaws wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:52 pm It's clear that I'm far left of most Democrats. I consider Bernie Sanders and AOC to be centrists at best.

Definitely agree with the bold. Also would love honesty in the discussion on guns, above all honesty in acknowledging that guns are not the root cause of violence, but our failure to address social issues is. One can’t have freedom and liberty by rescinding or limiting rights. In the end it addresses nothing and makes rights a privilege determined by whoever is in power.
Political perception is always influenced by where we think we stand on the political spectrum. It always comes down to individual issues and if people were polled on individual issues in total, they probably wouldn't be as far to the left or to the right as they think they are. It's easy to lump people as supporters or as opponents, rarely is there a clear dividing line.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

What's interesting is that the 1994 AWB was nearly identical to current NJ restrictions:

Under the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, the definition of "semi-automatic assault weapon" ("SAW") (commonly shortened to "assault weapon") included specific semi-automatic firearm models by name, and other semi-automatic firearms that possessed two or more from a set certain features:[19]

A semi-automatic Yugoslavian M70AB2 rifle

An Intratec TEC-DC9 with 32-round magazine; a semi-automatic pistol formerly classified as an assault weapon under federal law
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and has two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, hand grip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
A manufactured weight of 50 ounces (1.42kg) or more when the pistol is unloaded
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
Detachable magazine
About the only thing I see different is that NJ allows threaded barrels--but only on handguns! (How the FUCK does that make sense?)

Very little affect semi-auto rifles but there is some:
Threaded barrel
Folding stock
Flash arrestor (but a muzzle break is OK--if welded on)
Bayonet mount
That's about it.

There is also a NJ minimum allowable overall length (I think it's 29.5") and a barrel must be at least 16"--but the muzzle break can be included in that.

Magazine limits are a separate issue.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I live in Virginia. These Bloom-boy Democrats are paying him back for his campaign contributions. They may have run on an abortion campaign...but their real agenda is to impose gun bans.

We knew this would happen if the Democrats got both chambers. I hope Gov. Youngkin is more reasonable than his predecessor Gov. Blackface and vetoes these totally misguided efforts. Meanwhile, the Democrats in the General Assembly have those same "A-SALT WEPPENZ" protecting *them* and insist that it continue. Go figure that.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

sikacz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:46 pm This is another reason I don’t want dems to have a monopoly on the federal level.
I'd never vote to give Biden a Democratic Congress, he'd sign anti-gun bills left and right, because he'd be termed out and he'd never run for political office again.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:42 pm Passed the state house. Now it is on to the state senate.
Along with a laundry list of other bad anti-2A bills. The Democrats really won't listen to any of us as long as Bloom-boy keeps funding their campaigns.

There was a pretty decent Democrat named Chap Peterson in Northern Virginia. He got "Primaried" by a radical Bloom-boy Democrat. For them, gun control is a religion, just like in California and New York.

As for Gov. Youngkin...he has US-Senatorial and even possibly Presidential aspirations, so I'm not counting on him to save us from these bad bills. But I did hear at a recent gun show that if he wants any support from the actual GOP voters on the ground, he'd better veto every one of those bills. He would do well to consider that.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/