Re: 2024 Presidential Polling

If you want to understand why American politics seems so upside down these days, it helps to first recognize that both Democrats and Republicans labor under the same two delusions: (1) that ideological minority factions of their parties constitute electoral majorities; and (2) that one-party rule in blue or red localities amounts to a national consensus. Rather than pursuing durable national majorities from the center-left and center-right, both parties have increasingly adopted the mistaken strategies of strident yet electorally insufficient minority factions that staff their parties, feed their coffers, fuel their activist campaigns, and wage nonstop partisan war online on their behalf.

For Democrats, an extremely well-funded outside progressive infrastructure, what John B. Judis and Ruy Teixeira call the “shadow party,” constantly promotes out of the mainstream ideas on many pressing issues facing the country, including: open asylum on immigration, decriminalization and non-enforcement on public safety, rapid elimination of fossil fuels on climate, the disavowal of testing standards and color blindness in education, and anti-Israel and anti-military policies on national security. Democrats need to accept that majorities of voters reject the positions of the most extreme activists shaping the party’s agenda and brand.

Democrats need to accept that majorities of voters reject the positions of the most extreme activists shaping the party’s agenda and brand. Joe Biden in spirit and temperament is obviously not from this strident minority faction—Biden is an old-school Catholic Democrat from Scranton, not an intersectional leftist. But his approach as party leader over the past few years, and through the decisions of his administration’s more progressive staff members, has been to accommodate much of this left-wing agitation in the name of party comity and conciliation. Now facing dwindling poll numbers and a formidable rematch against Donald Trump, Biden can’t afford any more ideological pandering and needs to differentiate himself from the far left while stamping Democrats with his more moderate brand.

The closeness of the 2024 race makes it even less likely that either party will mend its ways anytime soon. One of the two candidates will win the election—most likely by a very small margin in a handful of states—and then the usual suspects on the ideological extreme of the winning side will claim ultimate victory and vindication for their approach while the activists on the losing side will say they should have been listened to more closely. Self-reflection will not be found in either party after another brutal round of Biden vs. Trump.

The 2024 election unfortunately will not solve the problem of how a country as divided as ours can find a more sensible and less bombastic method of politics to pursue. But it is worth a shot. Whichever political party figures out first how to capture and hold the broad center will be well placed for more durable governing majorities. And it starts by recognizing that loud minorities do not equal a majority and that genuine coalition politics requires building from the center outward—not browbeating from the extremes inward.
https://www.liberalpatriot.com/p/a-stri ... a-majority

If the election was held today according to polling, the tossup states would be AZ, PA, MI, WI and MN. Right now according to polls, Trump would win Nevada, Georgia and North Carolina. Trump stands at 257 electoral votes, so he'd only need 13 electoral votes to win and Biden at 216 electoral votes would need 54 electoral votes to win. Those numbers favor Trump winning. Tick tock, time is running out for Biden and Democrats, it's Biden's election to lose.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The only way Democrats/Biden win this Fall is if they either select new candidates or rethink/rebuild their platform. I doubt either can or will happen and even if it did, it'd have to be *Right Now*. We gonna get a second term of Trump and Maggats and Gaad help US. And into this world where Authoritarian rule and Fascism seems imminent and democratic process seems doomed The Democrats insist on pushing the concept of disarming America.

SCOTUS is in it for the money and perks, our representation is in it for the money and the perks, and the .01% have all the money and perks. We are owned and operated. Like a game of Monopoly in the final stages, there is no way that we are gonna stay in the game. The only solution, in my opinion, is to end the game, wipe the board, and start over. Hopefully with a better strategy and game plan for round 2.

I'm a little guy. Seriously contemplating my Plan B which it to sell everything, take my investments and the $ I get from liquidating mice elf and buy a decent sized, liveaboard Trimaran, sail my ass to Portugal and live aboard and abroad. $2K a month buys a very nice life in Portugal.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I’ve followed and seen biden in the public eye since I was a teen. He was a pompous ass then and his positions on the second hasn’t changed. He’s a fossilized old coot and incapable of changing his view for the good of the country.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The United States on Wednesday expanded visa restrictions for transportation operators "facilitating irregular migration", as the Biden administration aims to tackle a record number of migrants illegally crossing the southern U.S. border. The restrictions will now also target "owners, executives, and senior officials of charter flight, ground, and maritime transportation companies providing transportation services designed for use primarily by persons intending to migrate irregularly to the United States," the U.S. State Department said in a statement.

In November, the department announced visa restrictions targeting individuals operating charter flights into Nicaragua for migrants heading towards the U.S.-Mexico border. The increase in migrants seeking to cross the U.S. border from Mexico has become a top issue as U.S. President Joe Biden seeks reelection, with former President Donald Trump making it a major focus of his campaign to challenge Biden.
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/ar ... -migration

The White House is considering using provisions of federal immigration law repeatedly tapped by former President Donald Trump to unilaterally enact a sweeping crackdown at the southern border, according to three people familiar with the deliberations. The administration, stymied by Republican lawmakers who rejected a negotiated border bill earlier this month, has been exploring options that President Joe Biden could deploy on his own without congressional approval, multiple officials and others familiar with the talks said. But the plans are nowhere near finalized and it’s unclear how the administration would draft any such executive actions in a way that would survive the inevitable legal challenges. The officials and those familiar with the talks spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to comment on private ongoing White House discussions.

The exploration of such avenues by Biden’s team underscores the pressure the president faces this election year on immigration and the border, which have been among his biggest political liabilities since he took office. For now, the White House has been hammering congressional Republicans for refusing to act on border legislation that the GOP demanded, but the administration is also aware of the political perils that high numbers of migrants could pose for the president and is scrambling to figure out how Biden could ease the problem on his own.
Arrests for illegal crossings on the U.S. border with Mexico fell by half in January from record highs in December to the third lowest month of Biden’s presidency. But officials fear those figures could eventually rise again, particularly as the November presidential election nears. The immigration authority the administration has been looking into is outlined in Section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which gives a president broad leeway to block entry of certain immigrants into the United States if it would be “detrimental” to the national interest of the United States. Trump, who is the likely GOP candidate to face off against Biden this fall, repeatedly leaned on the 212(f) power while in office, including his controversial ban to bar travelers from Muslim-majority nations. Biden rescinded that ban on his first day in office through executive order.

But now, how Biden would deploy that power to deal with his own immigration challenges is currently being considered, and it could be used in a variety of ways, according to the people familiar with the discussions. For example, the ban could kick in when border crossings hit a certain number. That echoes a provision in the Senate border deal, which would have activated expulsions of migrants if the number of illegal border crossings reached above 5,000 daily for a five-day average. House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., has also called on Biden to use the 212(f) authority. Yet the comprehensive immigration overhaul Biden also introduced on his first day in office — which the White House continues to tout — includes provisions that would effectively scale back a president’s powers to bar immigrants under that authority.
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-im ... ebfd149f14

Biden will get beaten up by the advocacy groups that have been dictating his immigration policies if he gets tough, but he'll continue to get beaten up by Republicans if he takes no action.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:53 pm I’ve followed and seen biden in the public eye since I was a teen. He was a pompous ass then and his positions on the second hasn’t changed. He’s a fossilized old coot and incapable of changing his view for the good of the country.
So you are supporting TOS? An ignorant pompous ass squared, compared to Biden. You are going to have a choice Biden or TOS.

Then according to one of my neighbors, a TOS supporter, the only people that should be allowed to vote are those that are born here in the USA. He is so rabid right, he feels only those born in Texas should be allowed to vote in elections for Texas local or state offices.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:22 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:53 pm I’ve followed and seen biden in the public eye since I was a teen. He was a pompous ass then and his positions on the second hasn’t changed. He’s a fossilized old coot and incapable of changing his view for the good of the country.
So you are supporting TOS? An ignorant pompous ass squared, compared to Biden. You are going to have a choice Biden or TOS.

Then according to one of my neighbors, a TOS supporter, the only people that should be allowed to vote are those that are born here in the USA. He is so rabid right, he feels only those born in Texas should be allowed to vote in elections for Texas local or state offices.
Where in my comment did I express support for trump. I won’t vote for either but I will go to the polls. Stop the BS that everyone has to vote for idiots. Pick better candidates and a better platform.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The “shadow party” controls the democratic agenda and their agenda is not in the best interest of the nation. The president is increasingly looking weak and the projections for the next five years do not favor biden making through the term if elected. A year ago pundits and some of us were begging the dems to choose another and essentially convince biden to keep his word and not run. That didn’t happen. If the dems lose it’s all on biden and not the electorate that chooses to not vote for him. If biden truly loved his country he would do the right thing, change the democratic party agenda and give a nod to a more compromise orientated candidate that could actually bring our country together.

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:03 am Where in my comment did I express support for trump. I won’t vote for either but I will go to the polls. Stop the BS that everyone has to vote for idiots. Pick better candidates and a better platform.
But by not voting for ether candidate you are letting the choice go to other voters, rather than voting for the lesser of two evils, when you only have two real choices. There is no third choice that has, even a snowball's chance in hell of winning. I also know that many on this gun board and other gun boards are a one issue voter. Voting for the candidate that you might hope will give you the right to keep and carry your guns. Just remember TOS has already made it clear that if elected he is going to put forth a dictatorship by putting his chosen people in charge and in a dictatorship only the few loyal supporters are allowed to keep and carry guns.

Already the Police Unions are supporting TOS.
As Donald Trump continues to glorify the accused and convicted criminals who beat and maimed police officers as part of his Jan. 6, 2021, coup attempt, he appears to have unlikely allies: police unions, who thus far have not offered a single word of criticism.

One, in fact, has already endorsed the former president as he runs for the White House again. “President Trump’s history of support for the men and women of law enforcement is unmatched,” the International Union of Police Associations said in its Feb. 6 announcement.

An employee at the Florida-based union this week declined to explain why it was supporting someone who describes people who attacked officers ― one died hours after the assault ― as “patriots,” “political prisoners” and, most recently, “hostages.”

“It’s our policy not to comment to press,” the employee said.

IUPA’s silence on Trump’s praise for accused and convicted cop-beaters, though, is not unique. Police unions across the country, most notably the 375,000-member Fraternal Order of Police, which represents the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington, D.C., and the Capitol Police, the two agencies whose officers were attacked that day, have said nothing.

In 2020, the FOP endorsed Trump over Democrat Joe Biden, even though Biden had often won the support of police unions when he was a U.S. senator and vice president. “The FOP is proud to endorse a candidate who calls for law and order across our nation,” FOP president Patrick Yoes wrote of Trump then.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-ja ... 5d69218857

Over the years, I have heard many LEOs say, that only LEOs and Military should have guns and that would stop the gun violence. This was when I was working as an EMT on an ambulance or as an RN in an inner city hospital ED taking care of a shooting victim. The dreams of a dictatorship.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:06 pm The “shadow party” controls the democratic agenda and their agenda is not in the best interest of the nation. The president is increasingly looking weak and the projections for the next five years do not favor biden making through the term if elected. A year ago pundits and some of us were begging the dems to choose another and essentially convince biden to keep his word and not run. That didn’t happen. If the dems lose it’s all on biden and not the electorate that chooses to not vote for him. If biden truly loved his country he would do the right thing, change the democratic party agenda and give a nod to a more compromise orientated candidate that could actually bring our country together.
The “shadow party”/ oligarchs controls both parties through the flow of money from PACs and foreign interests. It isn't Biden's total fault if he loses. But the fault of voters that let TOS and his MAGA Repugs win. I would love to see a more compromise orientated agenda for the government. But how can that happen with the likes of the Repug Congress member like MTG, Gym Jordan, Gaetz, and Speaker of the House , Johnson that can only pray and not control his own party. I'm old enough to remember the days when the Congress was run by two men and political business was done without the disorder of today. The Majority leader was LBJ and the Speaker of the House was Sam Rayburn. Both from Texas and they were wheeler dealers in making deals to get the legislature through the congress.

We are in a sad state of affairs when a small group of nitwits can derail the Congress and stall needed bills from passing without using a filibuster.

This Republic has painted itself into a corner by allowing the 2 Party System and their owners/operators (The Oligarchy) to force US into having only 2 choices. We've been had, Ladies and Gentlemen.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:04 pm This Republic has painted itself into a corner by allowing the 2 Party System and their owners/operators (The Oligarchy) to force US into having only 2 choices. We've been had, Ladies and Gentlemen.

VooDoo
Agree and I won’t condone it by simply playing along. It’s up to the rest of you to help push the dems in the right direction. And don’t bother saying what about the republicans, I’m not interested in them, I want a people’s no corporate party and aside from starting a new party the dems are at least historically close.

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:09 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:47 pm
We are in a sad state of affairs when a small group of nitwits can derail the Congress and stall needed bills from passing without using a filibuster.
Which is why voting for the lesser of two evils get us nowhere. Both evils are owned.
This, absolutely this.

Which is why voting for the lesser of two evils get us nowhere. Both evils are owned.
Sorry but reality says that voting for the lesser of two evils most definitely gets you something; something of very great value.

It gets you the lesser of the two evils.

Until the reality shows some other option it is still wise to minimize suffering.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

If he’s so experienced and smart why is he pushing a jackass agenda that will likely lose him the election. The BS that he knows how the senate works was the excuse used last time to dismiss a better candidate.

sig230 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:17 pm
Sorry but reality says that voting for the lesser of two evils most definitely gets you something; something of very great value.

Until the reality shows some other option it is still wise to minimize suffering.
Ah yes. The choice of stage 4 cancer with or without chemo... Chemo buys you some months. At what cost?

The path the two parties are on takes this country to the dustbin of history. Sure, we may get a slightly longer trip to the trash bin with the Dems. But we're still destined for the bin. That's not a win in my book.

One of America's most powerful labor unions has reported its first major donation to Republicans in two decades after meeting with former President Trump last month, but the party has yet to receive the money, sparking confusion. The Teamsters' $45,000 donation to the Republican National Committee's convention fund, per Federal Election Commission reports, comes as Trump and President Biden vie for blue collar support in key swing states ahead of this year's election. The reported contribution is not an endorsement. But it's a powerful statement from a union that's supported every Democratic presidential nominee since Al Gore. It represents the Teamsters' first big donation to the RNC since 2004, the Washington Post reports.

The party has neither received a check from the union nor heard anything about the contribution coming, a source familiar with the RNC told Axios. In a statement Thursday, the Teamsters said the donation was "issued" last month, and "will be sent soon." Asked why the Teamsters reported the donation to the FEC before sending the money, spokesperson Kara Deniz said the union has "a strict internal auditing and reporting process that is followed before any contributions are sent." "Like so much in Washington, it takes time to go through the process," Deniz said. The union's PAC made the donation on Jan. 25, according to FEC data.

Earlier that month, Trump met with Teamsters president Sean O'Brien behind closed doors. The former president also participated in a public roundtable meeting with the union on Jan. 31. "We had a very strong meeting with the Teamsters," Trump reportedly said at the time, adding that he believes he has a "good shot" at notching the union's endorsement. Biden, who has long promised to be "the most pro-union President" in U.S. history, has already scored the UAW's endorsement. As both candidates prepare for a rematch of the 2020 presidential race, support from union members is likely to be vital in states such as Michigan and Pennsylvania that could decide the election. The Teamsters still overwhelmingly give to Democrats.

O'Brien has said the Biden administration has "been great for unions," per the Post.
The union's PAC sent a total of $135,000 to the DNC in December, including $45,000 for its convention fund. Deniz said this year will mark the first time since 2000 that the union will participate in both parties' conventions. "In the Teamsters, all our members' voices will be heard, regardless of party," she said.
https://www.axios.com/2024/02/22/trump- ... tion-biden

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:23 pm I’d rather face the inevitable quicker and start the rebuilding process. So no thanks to a lingering death.
As a professional troubleshooter and field service specialist I learned that things don't usually get fixed until they just plain can't function anymore. We are there. Let's finish it so we can get started on a new System. A new game of Monopoly is in order. This one is played.

VooDoo

VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:04 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:23 pm I’d rather face the inevitable quicker and start the rebuilding process. So no thanks to a lingering death.
As a professional troubleshooter and field service specialist I learned that things don't usually get fixed until they just plain can't function anymore. We are there. Let's finish it so we can get started on a new System. A new game of Monopoly is in order. This one is played.

VooDoo
Will it be a new system or more like Germany 1932-33? If TOS has his way and is elected, it will look like Germany 1932-33.

The announcement of Teamsters backing 45 is a bad open. TOS likely promised everything O’Brien asked for… the way a con-artist would do, with no intention of carrying through. The Teamsters Union membership should hold a referendum on their leadership. Trade unions should remember what Hitler did to the unions after coming to power: he nationalized them (and their assets) to form a German governmental office of Labor Force. In short, he made promises to protect the German workers personally and then moved to eliminate competing labor union leaders.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:16 pm
sig230 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:17 pm

Ah yes. The choice of stage 4 cancer with or without chemo... Chemo buys you some months. At what cost?

The path the two parties are on takes this country to the dustbin of history. Sure, we may get a slightly longer trip to the trash bin with the Dems. But we're still destined for the bin. That's not a win in my book.
The issue is "what does a "not voting" act do that might have any worth or significance beyond personal gratification?

Seriously.

Do you think any candidate is concerned by how many folk don't vote?

Do you think they give a damn how many people don't vote?

All they care about are three things, winning, keeping the funding coming and making sure there is an income stream should they not win.

Not voting for the lesser of two evils does NOTHING to encourage better candidates or better platforms or better government and does increase the likelihood of getting the greater of two evils.

There can be no win unless we first encourage better candidates and unfortunately there is no evidence that is likely to succeed.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim