Re: Oregon county voted on secession to Idaho.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:55 pm
highdesert wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:06 am Not likely to happen as I said earlier, because Oregon wouldn't agree to give up territory, though Idaho welcomes it. Congress isn't likely to agree because it would open the floodgates around the US.

Switzerland which is about the size of Vermont and New Hampshire combined has 26 cantons similar to our states, but in sq miles they are more like counties. It's small so people are closer to their democratic institutions and there are referendums regularly so they voice their opinions. The US is so large that people feel alienated from their government and its institutions. Maybe 75 or 150 states is a better solution, time will tell.
My point is that there are millions of people across America that are pretty much sick and tired and they want change. They might not succeed at this tack but as Illinois is doing, first we get the support of counties and then we form a new State. My point is that it's happening - people across America have had it with State and local jurisdictions that simply do not represent "We the People" and growing numbers of people are going to take action.

America is gonna try and reshape itself. It might not happen peacefully but I believe it can happen. People where I am, and apparently in Oregon, have had near enough now.

VooDoo
It's the urban-rural divide in the US and in between are the suburbs that swing between each side. Left wing populist vs right wing populist, it's the political polarization we have. In the past social democratic parties dominated in Europe, but have been replaced by more polarized center left and center right parties. In the US think Bernie Sanders vs Donald Trump, two populists on each end of the political spectrum and most voters (Independents) don't belong to either political camp. Cities have the population and votes to advance their agenda, rural counties need the support of suburban counties to have any influence.

A big city like Baltimore has a violence problem and they have enough representatives in the state legislature to enact firearms restrictions for the whole state. Portland dominates Oregon as Seattle dominates Washington, the blue counties in the west vs the red counties in the east, like Chicago and Cook County in the northeast dominates Illinois.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

HD, I don't think it is so much the Urban vs the Rural or Right vs Left. as it is the money divide of the wealthy vs the poor with the middle class caught in the middle. You really don't have very many of the working class or the poor represented in our government. Jim Hightower put it very well.

Check out the thread: https://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpB ... hp?t=68375
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

highdesert wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:10 am A big city like Baltimore has a violence problem and they have enough representatives in the state legislature to enact firearms restrictions for the whole state. Portland dominates Oregon as Seattle dominates Washington, the blue counties in the west vs the red counties in the east, like Chicago and Cook County in the northeast dominates Illinois.
In Illinois, anyone outside of Cook County and Chicago is being ravaged politically. economically, and socially - what works for Chicago simply no longer works for the rest of the state. I'm sure it's the same in Portland or Seattle. Big city Ways seem to want to crush the rest of the state to make ends meet and if ya don't like it, then git out. which is what we are doing in Illinois and (trying to do...) I suppose it's the same in Oregon or Washington.

America is going to reshape itself, good or bad, right or wrong. The polarization (at least in Illinois) has gotten to the point that if one wants to survive financially or politically or socially ,and is middle, lower, or rural class we'll have to either get out or kick Chicago/Cook County out and reset the playing field.

I suspect much pain will be involved. There is already much pain involved.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.