Re: Naked Taurus 942: Tear Down, Clean, Lube, and Reassemble

And it's back. The receipt says that they just replaced the trigger spring, but the FFL that did the transfer told me they replaced six parts.

Which I believe. I haven't gotten to the range yet, just cycled a couple of cylinders of drywall anchors, but the action is TOTALLY different. The trigger pull is WAY heavier, and the way the hammer behaves is really consistent every time. It's like big-click-little click-drop every round. On the one hand, when my arthritis is bad-- and it was, yesterday-- I definitely feel a twinge pulling that trigger. On the other, I know exactly when it's going to break.

I bet it's pretty much 100% now, but it will take some practice getting used to it.

Bisbee wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:00 pm Hahaha! So it goes with rimfire cartridges… when in doubt, put in a heavier spring!
:laugh:
Can't wait to check it out, hopefully this week!

Another odd detail: It came back absolutely filthy! The receipt said it was tested with 16 rounds... but clearly, they ran a lot more ammunition than that through it, probably confirming the problem.

Of course, I'm used to it being very clean because I was cleaning it so obsessively trying to get it to run right!

Bisbee wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:48 am Taurus… dang Brazilians!
In general, yes-- though the 942 was repaired in Bainbridge.

An amusing coda to the story is that while it was in for repair, Redstone told me that Taurus would contact me about a timeline for returning it.

A few weeks after it was shipped, I got a call from a Florida number. Being a somewhat paranoid person generally, I always answer unknown calls by saying, "Who is calling, please?" But in this case, I answered, "Is this a call from Bainbridge?"

The caller answered, "Yes."

I then said, "Ah, great! So did you receive the Taurus and have you determined what the problem is?"

The caller on the other end of the line burst out laughing and said, "No, I'm actually with << insurance company >> reminding you to update your profile on our site." My guess is, the caller was also a gun owner, and knew exactly why I made the assumption that I did.

And the 942 is a total pig with the new spring. The trigger pull is absurdly heavy-- after the first two cylinders, with my osteoarthritis? I needed BOTH RIGHT AND LEFT INDEX FINGERS to pull the trigger. Which almost, but not quite, defeats the purpose of double action. I think my next revolver is going to be an SA Heritage Barkeep with a 3-inch barrel and a 22 WMR cylinder option. Maximum rate of fire (with even marginally acceptable accuracy) would only be a little slower, I'd just have to use that damn wooden dowel for shell extraction. The three inch Rough Rider is not available in CA.

However, no light strikes whatsoever, so I'll sleep a little better on that point for sure. Trigger action is annoying in that it's *almost* good. Six or seven shots out of eight, it's entirely predictable and hangs nicely before dropping so I can decrease muscle tension for a second to improve aim. But one of two rounds out of eight, it drops unpredictably. This leads me to believe that something is basically wrong with this gun that was never really corrected-- like Bisbee said, they just put a crazy heavy spring, solves all problems.

Aguila ammo was noticeably more accurate that my ancient Remmington Golden Bullets. Useful range, for me, is only around 25 feet max with the Remmingtons, maybe 30 with the Aguilas. The Remmingtons do better in the Rough Rider or Mark III, I notice less of an accuracy difference.

So still fine for a bedside-table, hotel, or campsite gun. It is really not very satisfying for target, and even kind of exhausting, though I will make a point of practicing with it. 64 rounds from the Taurus and about 15 from the .380 Makarov and I was done. That took about 45 minutes. With the Rough Rider, I can shoot a little longer before getting tired, maybe an hour. It's also rock and roll season, so I'm practicing a lot for shows and my hands are tired.

I think I learned my lesson. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have splurged on the S&W for a snubbie, but OTOH, the guy at Redstone said that everyone's been having QC problems recently, and a lot of guns are getting sent back even from Ruger and S&W.

That’s why I was laughing about the mainspring. Make it heavy for guaranteed rimfire ignition. But the result is a DA trigger pull that almost needs two fingers to pull. Not a real solution in my opinion but what Taurus passed off as good.

If it were me I would start cutting the springs, or look for an aftermarket spring kit for that revolver. It is really a S&W design, just needs some polishing for S&W quality. Actually even S&W’s from the factory need polishing to really feel satisfying in DA. All single action pulls are fine from the factory.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:17 am That’s why I was laughing about the mainspring. Make it heavy for guaranteed rimfire ignition. But the result is a DA trigger pull that almost needs two fingers to pull. Not a real solution in my opinion but what Taurus passed off as good.

If it were me I would start cutting the springs, or look for an aftermarket spring kit for that revolver. It is really a S&W design, just needs some polishing for S&W quality. Actually even S&W’s from the factory need polishing to really feel satisfying in DA. All single action pulls are fine from the factory.
I was thinking about aftermarket spring kits-- maybe you and I are due for a rematch with that bratty little gun some day, if you have the time-- and maybe multiple (or a higher-end) bottles of Tequila is in order!

Hadn't considered that r.e. single-actions, but that makes a lot of sense.