Snap cappin'

I picked up a reproduction of a WWII GI .45 holster, the one with the cavalry flap that hangs on a web belt. Made in India, still it is constructed well and stitched deeply. Likely it will live longer than I. Not only does it have the wire hanger for the web belt, it also has slots for a regular 2" belt, which is how I'll wear it. How the heck does snap-cappin' slip into the picture?

It was dark and the house was sleeping when I finally found the time to slit open the package. My Springer fit just fine. Since it's new, it's still pretty stiff, so I worked the clasp a few times--if y'all will recall, the clasp really is just a slit with a hole in it cut into the leather. A brass button must be forced through so the leather will close securely behind it. This is so you can run and jump and do all that soldiery stuff that happens when soldiers wear it. So of course I strapped it on and wandered about the quiet house. At a certain moment, I had the urge.

I eased it out of the holster and immediately said to myself, "A gun is always loaded." I dropped the mag, saw a red snap cap in there, and put the mag in my top pocket. I put my hand over the ejection port such that what ever was in there would end up in my hand. Worked the slide and felt an object hit my hand. I put down the gun and opened my hand to reveal a second snap cap, left over from my last cappin' session. I stuffed the second snap cap into the top of the magazine and could see through the slot in the mag that there were only two snap caps in there. I put the mag in and racked up a snapper.

I could sense that all the light switch plates in my house began to tremble with fear. These are my targets for my snappin' sessions. He he.

The point of this coffee-fueled post is, when I brought up the gun in the darkened room to zero in on the switch plate, I could not see the three dot viz picture. I shifted my eyes and moved the gun up and down a bit to see what I was seeing, and I was pointing quite nicely in the close vicinity of the switch plate. I was easily within one minute of bad guy without sights, but not good enough for competitive target shooting. I'll make a note not to compete for points in a darkened shooting range. I did realize that all my snap cappin' in the past has given me pretty decent muscle memory.

Good discovery. Snap caps are cheap, kids.

A gun is always loaded until you determine it is not. My .45 is a fun gun while my .357 double action GP100 is The One.

CDFingers
Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see.

Re: Snap cappin'

I'm a great believer in snap caps, have them for all of my pistols even the 22s, though the Ruger's don't need them as long as the magazines are in place. As we get older our eyes also get older, a reality of life. I'm looking at night sights for pistols I'd use for home protection, have them on one and am looking at a light and laser and/or a red dot.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Kinda/sorta/maybe/almost on topic.

I have night sights on quite a few of my often carried pistols; no revolvers with them. Over the decades I've tried several formats other than the traditional three dot and find the single line/dot rear is the easiest to see and line up in the dark. For all around use I like the paint/fiber/tritium combination though.

Single dot front and rear:
Ameriglo-sights.jpg
Ameriglo-sights.jpg (146.34 KiB) Viewed 546 times
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Well said, CDFingers. Snap caps are a great tool for safe practice, and I use them regularly as well. Nothing like developing that muscle memory.

Since you have a GP100, I would suggest the following exercise with those snap caps. Fifty trigger pulls with the GP100, with each hand, on a regular basis will help to keep your trigger finger strong. Should you be in a situation, which I think we all hope you never are, your trigger pull will be smoother and will help you remain "minute of bad guy". I do this exercise with the Super Redhawk (same trigger system as the GP100) almost nightly to help keep in shape, and that wheelgun's looooong trigger pull is very good exercise for this purpose.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/