Senate Dems add women to Selective Service registration requirement

As all y'all know, I am a vocal supporter of women's bodily autonomy with respect to reproductive health services. Yet in the back of my mind, I still remember registering for the Draft during Vietnam back when there was a lottery to win an all-expenses-paid 13 month trip to Southeast Asia. During Nam, a lottery I won with a draft number above 300. Women did not go there often, though eight nurses' names grace The Wall. RIP. Yet those women were volunteers, not draftees. Flash forward to 2024.
Senate Democrats have added language to the annual defense authorization bill to require women to register for the draft, prompting a backlash from Republicans and social conservatives and complicating the chances of moving the bill on the Senate floor before Election Day.
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4730 ... men-draft/

What will happen in the minds of American voters with respect to this? I support drafting all genders if there needs to be a draft.

CDF
Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see.

Re: Senate Dems add women to Selective Service registration requirement

Women have pushed for equality in the Armed Forces and they are no longer excluded from any combat units. I too remember the Vietnam era draft, my number was 28. I see no problem with women being included in the Selective Service System, registration doesn't mean automatic conscription.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:34 am
featureless wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:13 am Yep, the draft should include all able people.
Including those with fake bone spurs.
Yup. I'd even say it should include everyone up to the age of 60. Us olds are perfectly capable of non combat services. Maybe inclusion of older folks and women would cut down on the desire to go to war in the first place.

featureless wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:54 am
featureless wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:13 am Yep, the draft should include all able people.
Yup. I'd even say it should include everyone up to the age of 60. Us olds are perfectly capable of non combat services. Maybe inclusion of older folks and women would cut down on the desire to go to war in the first place.
Yes, there are a lot of non-combat positions that older Americans could fill inside and outside of the military. Like military security positions that require monitoring cameras, not actually walking a beat. Or backfilling our old jobs until regular employees returned. Yes, it could prevent future wars.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I turned 18 in 1969 and registered for the draft. My lottery number was 54. I called the Army recruiter and asked if they would take a person that was blind in one eye? He said no but if a person was deaf in one ear they could take them. Since I was blind in one eye since right after birth, a result of being a premature infant, I had my eye doctor write =me a letter to go the the draft board and I was first classified 1Y then later 4F. I could have replaced someone else in a Non-Combat role for them to go the combat. But the military didn't see it that way. As my Dad put it to me, "I fought enough wars for the both of us in the 27 years in the military." He flew 50 missions in B-24s over Europe was a POW and later in the hot part of the Cold War.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

senorgrand wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:25 pm not wanting to send your daughters off to war might be enough to stop them from happening
Or perhaps grandma and grandpa. To go to war should be a hard decision and it should mobilize the whole country. That in itself might limit the enthusiasm for war.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:29 pm Or perhaps grandma and grandpa. To go to war should be a hard decision and it should mobilize the whole country. That in itself might limit the enthusiasm for war.
Want to really tamp down government enthusiam for war? Draft the rich kids first. Suddenly we will have the most peaceful government the world has ever known.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:36 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:29 pm Or perhaps grandma and grandpa. To go to war should be a hard decision and it should mobilize the whole country. That in itself might limit the enthusiasm for war.
Want to really tamp down government enthusiam for war? Draft the rich kids first. Suddenly we will have the most peaceful government the world has ever known.
Yep everyone! Might even want to give the wealthiest and the politicians and their families the privilege of being the first up front. I can can guarantee it would be a hard vote and very rare.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

SubRosa wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:07 pm Besides, if any country actually did REALLY attack the USA, a draft wouldn't be needed...volunteers would line up in droves.
Just like they did after Pearl Harbor.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

All should register regardless of sexual orientation. I got my induction notice 14 days before my 26th birthday (Jan. 1,1968) in Dec. 1967, thanks to my ex-wife calling the draft board and getting me reclassified 1A from 3A (married with children) - 26 was the cut off age at the time. Received two 60 day extensions with final May 5th 1968 (Cinco de Mayo) report date thru my employer request (I handled all our contracts with Military in support of SE Asia when Kelly AFB was prime buyer) at the time. Remarried my Ex - she wrote a sad missive to the Board and I was again reclassified 3A - we didn't make a year before going our separate ways once again.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

And those in "Divinity" School. They can be military Chaplains or Medics...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:44 pm

And those in "Divinity" School. They can be military Chaplains or Medics...
Agree. No exceptions. There are plenty of jobs if a real war starts. There’s also jobs for maintenance, supply jobs and office work.