"Mike Bloomberg backs Biden with $20 million contribution"

Billionaire Mike Bloomberg has given nearly $20 million to help Democratic President Joe Biden's re-election effort against Republican former President Donald Trump, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters on Thursday. Bloomberg's contribution included $19 million to an independent pro-Biden group known as Future Forward or FF PAC, and over $900,000 to the Biden Victory Fund, which is an amalgamation of the Biden campaign and Democratic Party committees, the sources added, asking not to be identified. The donations were first reported by the Washington Post.

The Biden campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Bloomberg, the former New York mayor who spent $1 billion of his own money on a failed 2020 presidential bid in the Democratic primaries, injected at least $100 million to help Biden's campaign against Trump in Florida in 2020. Trump, who lost the overall 2020 race to Biden, had won in Florida by over three percentage points. Biden and Trump have mostly been tied in national polls. Democrats have maintained an overall cash advantage over

Trump and the Biden campaign continues to have a considerably larger war chest. Biden's campaign reported $84 million in the bank at the end of April, compared to $49 million reported by Trump. However, Biden campaign's fundraising in April lagged Trump's for the first time, after the former president ramped up his joint operation with the Republican National Committee and headlined high-dollar fundraisers. Pro-Trump spending groups have spent more than $25 million since Trump clinched the Republican nomination on March 6, Federal Election Commission records show, compared to more than $15 million spent by Biden's allies during the same time.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mike-b ... 024-06-21/

Biden modified his immigration policies, but I don't think he'll be modifying his anti-gun stances after this contribution.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Mike Bloomberg backs Biden with $20 million contribution"

Just another presidential election where dueling billionaires and their interests and issues dominate. Political parties aren't grassroots organizations where members have any say, the direction and issues come from the top down, based on who can donate the most money which prioritizes their interests. The two parties are institutions just like religious organizations and they know what's best for us, because their special interests tell them. Billionaires with special interests like Michael Bloomberg.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Mike Bloomberg backs Biden with $20 million contribution"

highdesert wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:30 am Just another presidential election where dueling billionaires and their interests and issues dominate. Political parties aren't grassroots organizations where members have any say, the direction and issues come from the top down, based on who can donate the most money which prioritizes their interests. The two parties are institutions just like religious organizations and they know what's best for us, because their special interests tell them. Billionaires with special interests like Michael Bloomberg.
With the oligarchy of Billionaires controlling the money for the parties we have an election that is bought and paid for no matter which side wins, be it Dems or Repugs. What has been needed but will never happen is a limit on how much money a person can donate to each candidate or party during an election cycle.. Also a need to exclude PACs especially those affiliated with foreign governments or countries.

I remember a story my Dad told me about when he was a boy. He and my great-grandfather were working on a fence by a road when a Model T pulled up and the Sheriff got out and walked over to them. He call out to my great-grandfather and said "Seth, Election is coming and I would like to know you are wanting me to be reelected by giving me your full support and this election is costing me a lot of money." Great-grandfather, said "I will think about it and see what I can do." The Sheriff thanked him and drove off. Great-grandpa looked at Dad and said, "Son, Never trust a man that is wanting to spend more money running for an office, than what the office will pay him. Because the SOB is as crooked as a dog's hind leg,"
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,