'Thought it was a joke': Vending machines in 3 GOP-led states stun consumers selling Ammo.

A Texas-based company has developed vending machines that sell bullets and installed them at a handful of grocery stores in Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama, with plans for expansion into other states, according to news reports this week.

The machines, produced by American Rounds, based in the Dallas area, use artificial intelligence to verify the age of buyers, who must be 21 to purchase the shotgun, rifle, and handgun bullets on offer.

There are few federal regulations on the sale of ammunition, and only a small number of states have their own tougher laws.

The vending machines are "likely to stoke controversy," Newsweekreported, while Gizmodocalled their spread a "questionable new trend." Social media users wrote that the idea of vending machines for bullets was "insane", "horrible," and "beyond sick."

"In some states, you can now walk into a grocery store and buy bullets from a vending machine as if you were ordering a candy bar or a soda," Gizmodo reported, though it explained that the process was "slightly more rigorous... than buying a Twix."

The video player is currently playing an ad. You can skip the ad in 5 sec with a mouse or keyboard

Nick Suplina, senior vice president for law and policy at Everytown for Gun Safety, expressed concern about the accessibility of the ammunition.
One of the new vending machines was the source of controversy in Tuscaloosa, Alabama last week.

"I got some calls about ammunition being sold in grocery stores, vending machines," Tuscaloosa Councilor Kip Tyner said during a city council meeting on July 2, according toABC 33/40. "I mean, I thought it was a lie. I thought it was a joke, but it's not."

The vending machine in question was removed from a Fresh Value supermarket in Tuscaloosa the next day. The store manager said that the machine was removed due to lack of sales.

The American Rounds machines can currently be found at four locations in Oklahoma, one in Alabama, and one in Texas. The company has plans to install a machine in Buena Vista, Colorado, and already has more than 200 installation requests from stores in nine states, CEO Grant Magers told Newsweek. "And that number is growing daily," he said.

American Rounds' website says that "the future of ammo sales is here."

There are no limits to how much ammunition a customer can buy, other than the machine running out of stock, Newsweek reported. American Rounds is targeting small towns where ammunition might not be readily available. The machines are always set up inside of stores, Magers said.

The process of making the purchase, including the use of facial recognition software to check against the ID being used, can take one minute and a half, Magers told the AP.
https://www.rawstory.com/thought-it-wa ... consumers/

Ammo vending machines. That will go the way of Cigarette Vending Machines.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: 'Thought it was a joke': Vending machines in 3 GOP-led states stun consumers selling Ammo.

sig230 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:05 pm I grew up when even as a kid I could go to the local gas station and by a dime or quarter of 22lr. If I had a dime it was ten rounds and a quarter usually got me thirty rounds.
Yep, I'm just old enough to remember reading about that in other parts of the country. In the past, I'm told by the ol' folks that doing this was quite common.

Given that Germans have beer-vending machines and have had them for decades, I really don't see a problem with it, as long as the laws are followed.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Re: 'Thought it was a joke': Vending machines in 3 GOP-led states stun consumers selling Ammo.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama is the home of the flagship campus of the University of Alabama, founded in 1831. Probably why some people there and of course "The Raw Story" are getting their knickers in a twist. Like any business they need to do market research on the location whether it's store fronts or vending machines.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

FUCKING BULLSHIT!

[ETA: Why can't I post in the HUGE font? That's what this needs.]

Just got this email from "Democracy For America". This machine is a big step in their direction. It compares your photo ID to your face. I'm sure it retains an image of both. Does it take cash? Cuz' credit cards are another link to the purchaser.

Then the BIG lie.
You can now buy bullets as easily as you buy a candy bar or a soda.
That's a bald faced lie and they know it. They have to know it's a lie. The rest is typical anti-gun crap and they had to refer to the current shooter. Pro Tip: A vending machine had fuck all to do with the acquisition of ammo there. Being DEAD makes it hard to "restock" ShitForBrains!

So here is the entire ShitMail:
Democracy for America Advocacy Fund

The gun lobby has crossed a dangerous new line. A Texas company is now installing ammunition vending machines in grocery stores across Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas. Let that sink in.

You can now buy bullets as easily as you buy a candy bar or a soda.

This isn't just irresponsible -- it's a recipe for disaster. We've already seen the devastation that easy access to firearms can cause. Just last Saturday, an AR-15 was used in an assassination attempt on former President Trump in Pennsylvania, leaving one innocent bystander dead and others injured.

Now, imagine if the assailant could have easily restocked ammunition at the local grocery store.

This is a slippery slope. Today, it's a few states. Tomorrow, it could be nationwide. We can't let the gun lobby turn our grocery stores into armories. We can't let them put profit over the safety of our communities.

Tell Congress to act now. Demand a nationwide ban on ammunition vending machines in grocery stores.

The company behind these machines claims their age-verification technology makes these transactions safe. But we know better. No amount of technology can prevent these machines from normalizing gun violence and making deadly weapons more accessible than ever.

We need to stop this dangerous trend before it spreads. We need to send a clear message that our grocery stores should be safe spaces for families, not convenient pit stops for potential killers.

We've already lost too many lives to gun violence. We can't make it even easier for tragedy to strike.

We're up against a powerful, well-funded gun lobby that puts profits over people's lives. But we have something stronger: the will of Americans who are tired of living in fear of gun violence.

Congress needs to hear from you. Demand they put people over profits and ban these dangerous machines now.

- DFA AF Team

And the use of the word "Democracy" which is in a lot of Democratic Party campaign literature as in, "democracy under Biden but dictatorship under Trump." Pound the drums of fear and repeat the big lies. Politics is full of so much bullshit, all we hear are lies.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

In a different era, the idea of a vending machine for boxes of .22lr sold at any country general-store or bait shop would have just seemed like decent common sense.

There was a time when firearms and ammo were just "sporting goods" in the same vein as fishing poles and camping supplies. A boy buying a box of 50 .22s at a country store would not have raised an eyebrow, and if anyone thought anything of it all, it would be that squirrel would be on the menu that night, or that old tin cans needed to be careful if they were out in the woods.

I wish we still lived in such a simple time. I am glad I got to live part of my life before that era faded away. Maybe it lingers on in some more rural parts of the country.

highdesert wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:48 pm And the use of the word "Democracy" which is in a lot of Democratic Party campaign literature as in, "democracy under Biden but dictatorship under Trump." Pound the drums of fear and repeat the big lies. Politics is full of so much bullshit, all we hear are lies.
Makes me wonder about the stuff I believe to be true. Is it really? Or have I just been fooled again, manipulated, and groomed? Hard to go thru Life now not believing nor trusting anything from the MSM (or any media for that matter) or .gov.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

Dot 'em if ya got 'em!

You can still buy .22LR in the Walmarts all day...well, at least in Free America, you can. :-)

The anti-2A forces have, to my knowledge, told only one thing that is true. They tell us that only the military and police "need" guns and that everyone else's should be confiscated...and they mean to do just that.

NOT THIS BLACK/CHEROKEE MAN.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/