Re: How’s the weather

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:54 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:07 pm After an hour and a half of just sitting in their trucks the two Centerpoint crews left. They did absolutely nothing.
Sound like members of congress.

CDF
If anyone hears in the news Centerpoint trying to justify their slow response don’t accept their excuses. They are totally inefficient and lack flexibility.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:56 am Excellent news! When did they get it restored? What happened to your generator?
I left the house about 11am to go try and find a new battery for the generator thinking that might be the problem. When I got back home around 2:30pm the power was back on. I have no idea what is wrong with the generator. Even with the new battery it still won't start.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:00 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:07 pm After an hour and a half of just sitting in their trucks the two Centerpoint crews left. They did absolutely nothing.

CDF
If anyone hears in the news Centerpoint trying to justify their slow response don’t accept their excuses. They are totally inefficient and lack flexibility.
So I was right..

CDF
Crippled but free, I was blind all the time I was learning to see.

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:50 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:00 pm

CDF
So I was right..

CDF
Yep, just as messed up as our politicians.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Maybe they were checking to see if y’all were on the proper checklist as supporters of the Repugs of Texas and TOS. Name not there the on to the “other” list. To be fixed when we get around to it. TOS and the Three Stooges supporters get first treatment for electricity service.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:09 pm Maybe they were checking to see if y’all were on the proper checklist as supporters of the Repugs of Texas and TOS. Name not there the on to the “other” list. To be fixed when we get around to it. TOS and the Three Stooges supporters get first treatment for electricity service.
LoL! I just think they’re inefficient and incompetent, a bit like the republicans. LoL. A neighbor of our just after this incident had been driving around and he said he saw ten large service trucks just sitting in a parking lot parked and obviously not doing anything. This seems to be a case of no decent leadership or strategy. This whole thing is a farce. The Centerpoint rep said on the radio that even while they were going to do their assessment they would also address issues as they came along. This is directly opposite of what they are doing in the field.

Eris wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:09 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:56 am Excellent news! When did they get it restored? What happened to your generator?
I left the house about 11am to go try and find a new battery for the generator thinking that might be the problem. When I got back home around 2:30pm the power was back on. I have no idea what is wrong with the generator. Even with the new battery it still won't start.
Well good y’all have power. That’s an odd generator issue. Is it under warranty?

Texans resorting to fast food app to track outages slam utility company

After the devastation left in the wake of Hurricane Beryl, millions of Texans were left without power. And once again, residents of the Lone Star State were unable to count on Texas' flagship utility company for either prompt service restoration or even reliable communication.

Some Texans frustrated with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and main power company CenterPoint Energy (formerly Reliant Energy) not providing residents with an outage tracker found a better alternative — the app for Texas-based fast food chain Whataburger. X/Twitter account @BBQBryan posted a viral tweet Monday night showing a screenshot of the Whataburger app's locations in the Houston Metro area, with locations that were open colored in orange and the ones that were still closed colored in grey.

"The Whataburger app works as a power outage tracker, handy since the electric company doesn't show a map," @BBQBryan wrote in the tweet that has since been viewed more than seven million times. "Still nearly 1.9 million power outages."

That tweet spawned a flurry of angry reactions on social media, with some Texas-based X users using the outage tracker as a jump-off point for a larger conversation about how Texas' GOP-dominated government has failed to provide reliable infrastructure for residents.

"Whataburger has been more helpful in tracking outages than CENTERPOINT ENERGY," tweeted Texas-based progressive activist Olivia Julianna. "This is ridiculous. What a joke of a company and joke of a state to continue to let these major outages happen without investments into burying power lines or upgrading electric infrastructure."

Former Houston Chronicle contributor Sara Cress tweeted that she has firsthand experience with CenterPoint as an ex-employee of the utility company, and offered her own surprised reaction to the Whataburger outage map.

"[A]s a former [C]enterpoint comms employee that struggled with the bureaucracy there when communicating about outages: oh my god," she posted.

Former labor organizer Cristina Tzintzún Ramirez, who is president of the youth activist organization NextGen America, observed that "We’re truly living in a dystopia when a fast-food chain is doing more to track outages during a severe weather event than the f*&king state of Texas." X user @USA_Comrade reacted to the initial tweet by posting the popular meme of North Korean defector Yeonmi Park — who famously went on Joe Rogan's podcast and contrasted dubious accounts of life in the hermit kingdom with life in the United States — with the text: "In America you have to check power outages on a hamburger app because the privately owned utilities are incompetent."

This isn't the first time restaurants have been used as a means of gauging damage to local infrastructure in the wake of a major storm. The Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) has admitted to using the "Waffle House Index" as a means of determining the impact to a community in the immediate hours after a hurricane or tropical storm makes landfall. The index looks at whether Waffle House — which operates 24-hour restaurants primarily in the Southeastern United States — has locations that are open or closed in a storm zone to determine how hard a major weather event affected an area.

“If you get there and the Waffle House is closed?” FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate has said. “That’s really bad. That’s where you go to work.”

Whataburger is apparently aware of Texans using the company's app to track power outages, as its X account quote-tweeted @BBQBryan's post with the text, "Y'all be safe out there!"
https://www.alternet.org/texas-fast-food/

With the Three Stooges in Austin, at least the people can come forward with solutions to disaster when the Stooges just yuck it up and pass the buck.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I feel for you folks, the electricity went out here at 8 am which means a/c and cable internet. So. Cal. Edison was worthless they didn't even show the outage on their site. The cable company said to expect service around 3 pm, they gave regular updates not Edison. And it's another 110 fucking degrees today. Just got home and the outage tripped the breaker and I can't reset it, so I had to call an electrician.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Burying the lines is the only rational option. I wouldn’t expect that kind of project to happen overnight. It would take decades to do, but we are not even considering it. The corporatists just dismiss it as expensive, but just what is the cost to human lives to go through this every year. Even without tropical storms we’ve had these outages. We need a commitment and a strategy to achieve this. I don’t recall seeing any modern city in Northern Europe with poles for transmission of power. Even the suburbs are burying cables there. We’re a third world country in many ways not just our political system.

sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:16 pm Burying the lines is the only rational option. I wouldn’t expect that kind of project to happen overnight. It would take decades to do, but we are not even considering it. The corporatists just dismiss it as expensive, but just what is the cost to human lives to go through this every year. Even without tropical storms we’ve had these outages. We need a commitment and a strategy to achieve this. I don’t recall seeing any modern city in Northern Europe with poles for transmission of power. Even the suburbs are burying cables there. We’re a third world country in many ways not just our political system.
Out here cities seem to require underground cables, but in rural areas like mine they don't. Power outages in my area are often because someone has plowed into a power poll.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:32 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:16 pm Burying the lines is the only rational option. I wouldn’t expect that kind of project to happen overnight. It would take decades to do, but we are not even considering it. The corporatists just dismiss it as expensive, but just what is the cost to human lives to go through this every year. Even without tropical storms we’ve had these outages. We need a commitment and a strategy to achieve this. I don’t recall seeing any modern city in Northern Europe with poles for transmission of power. Even the suburbs are burying cables there. We’re a third world country in many ways not just our political system.
Out here cities seem to require underground cables, but in rural areas like mine they don't. Power outages in my area are often because someone has plowed into a power poll.
Requiring new developments and infrastructure upgrades to include burying cables would be a good way to start. One needs to build a cable channel not just dump soil on a cable though.

sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:05 pm Well good y’all have power. That’s an odd generator issue. Is it under warranty?
Yes it is, but I've never found any place that does warranty service and I don't feel like paying to ship a 100 pound object back to the factory
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:09 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:05 pm Well good y’all have power. That’s an odd generator issue. Is it under warranty?
Yes it is, but I've never found any place that does warranty service and I don't feel like paying to ship a 100 pound object back to the factory
Yeah, that’s a bummer. Think you can diagnose it? Should be like any engine, right? Check for spark and follow the checklist down….

What's Houston area water table level?? 6" at best! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:02 pm
What's Houston area water table level?? 6" at best! LOL
That’s not an issue. Water table is well below. Cabling like that is built and put in an enclosure that can be serviced. I heard they want to get funding to “strengthen “ the transportation system, found out that they want to install concrete or other polls. In other words still exposed to trees and wind. Totally stupid. Also we can build electrical conduits submerged in water.

Pressure was mounting on CenterPoint, the Houston-area electric utility, after it bungled its communications to the public amid yet another massive Texas power outage. The company appeared in chaos as it worked to turn on power for angry people who faced days in dangerous heat without air conditioning, including stressed customers struggling to manage health issues without electricity. More than 48 hours after the storm left the region, the company still had no clear timeline for when people could expect their electricity to be restored. “They need to speak clearly and tell people the whole truth even when it’s not pleasant,” said Doug Lewin, energy consultant and author of the Texas Energy and Power Newsletter. “People need to know when their power is going to get back.

Some of the damage Beryl wreaked on Texas’ above-ground power infrastructure as the storm’s hurricane-strength winds persisted inland, downing trees and electricity poles, lay beyond the company’s control. But the full picture of the utility’s response — and what went right or wrong with its preparation and equipment — remains muddled. Yet even as elected officials piled onto everyday Texans’ scathing criticisms of how long the outages are lasting, CenterPoint appears to be restoring power to people faster than it has after recent storms. And, a state requirement to plan for emergencies hadn’t prevented what many residents consider a dissatisfactory response. On Thursday, the company is expected to give a hastily requested update to the Public Utility Commission of Texas, which regulates electricity in the state.

CenterPoint clearly and immediately failed people in its bungled communications with customers about the damage and what to expect for the timeline of recovery, energy industry observers said. Notably, the utility’s map that is supposed to show the locations of power outages had not worked since a storm in May. Houstonians turned instead to a map of open and closed Whataburgers to find where power was on. “That indicates a complete fail on their customer management and public service capabilities,” said Alison Silverstein, a former PUC adviser.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/texa ... ously-has/

Do the children of the Three Stooges run CenterPoint ?

Likely yes. What’s pissing me off is they plan to use public funds to replace old wood poles with just new poles of concrete or other materials. That still leaves lines exposed. The major issue is not in most cases a pole breaking, it’s the lines being in contact with trees or other objects during a storm.

The asshole who runs Centerpoint made sure his power was restored first.

Centerpoint had to change their name from Reliant Energy when it was proven not to be so Reliant.

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:26 am Centerpoint had to change their name from Reliant Energy when it was proven not to be so Reliant.
New name…..
3ADDDE6E-A9C1-433C-9BCF-E7285A07FD65.jpeg
3ADDDE6E-A9C1-433C-9BCF-E7285A07FD65.jpeg (164.86 KiB) Viewed 248 times