Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 9026
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:12 pm
Location: SoNH
Contact:

Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#1 Post by DispositionMatrix » Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 pm

...who, of course, is not partial to the idea people should not be allowed to buy EBRs when America's aggressive, hostile police forces can.
Killer Mike, Maher Defend Gun Rights: I'm Not Comfortable Being Asked To Be Unarmed And Police Are Not
From the transcript:
ROBERT REICH, FMR. SECRETARY OF LABOR: I couldn't agree with you more in terms of equal rights. I mean, let's face it, this is not a country that distinguishes itself with equal rights on a racial basis. But there is a difference between that point I think and maintaining that we have to get rid of assault weapons, we've got to have universal background checks. That is absolutely critical.
REICH: They were defined in 1994 in the Assault Weapons Ban which went into effect and I was there and all I know is that for the 10 years, from 1994 to 2004, when the Republicans got rid of the Assault Weapons Ban there was a 42% drop in mass killings, defined as killings of 5 people or more at the same time.

Now, you can define assault weapons any way you want but I am just telling you that we had a law. Let's go back to the law.
Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 8701
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#2 Post by highdesert » Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 pm

I couldn't get that link to work, this one does. Good interview.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... e_not.html
MAHER: Why is that critical? Because one of the problems gun people have with liberals talking about guns is that liberals don't know what they're talking about guns.

KILLER MIKE: At all.

MAHER: I'm not a gun expert. I don't like guns. I've said many times that I have a gun, because self-reliance. And because the police might not get there, yada yada yada.

But there was I think only 400 deaths from all types of rifles last year. I don't know if that is the key issue. It's a big applause break for liberals when you say assault weapons, but the Virginia Tech shooting was the biggest one ever and that was a handgun.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
AndyH
Loquacious
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:05 pm
Location: LGC Member San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#3 Post by AndyH » Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Political toady v. truth. Thanks for the link, gents!
“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” Heinlein
You can’t take the Razorback! She is gone and gone and gone!

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 17546
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER:Northern California
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#4 Post by shinzen » Wed May 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Reich, as noted in another thread I believe when his gun violence video came out, is misrepresenting the numbers at best.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/state ... ssault-we/

Similar claims by other folks have proven to be mostly false, and the studies following the AWB expiration showed no real effect. Also worth noting, his specifically called out 5 or more people dying in a mass shooting, which is a different statistic than the 4 that is normally used by congress, and is also different than the "new math" of using 3 or more people injured. Lies, damned lies, and statistics- and Robert knows what he's doing with statistics.

Killer Mike did a great job IMO in that interview, raising salient points- and surprisingly, so did Bill who often annoys me.
Image

User avatar
Eris
Chatty
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:54 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#5 Post by Eris » Wed May 16, 2018 1:58 pm

I love Reich. I have often wished he'd run for President. But like many people on the left, he just doesn't understand guns or gun rights.
63+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

User avatar
senorgrand
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 17387
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#6 Post by senorgrand » Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 pm

shinzen wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:23 pm
Reich, as noted in another thread I believe when his gun violence video came out, is misrepresenting the numbers at best.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/state ... ssault-we/

Similar claims by other folks have proven to be mostly false, and the studies following the AWB expiration showed no real effect. Also worth noting, his specifically called out 5 or more people dying in a mass shooting, which is a different statistic than the 4 that is normally used by congress, and is also different than the "new math" of using 3 or more people injured. Lies, damned lies, and statistics- and Robert knows what he's doing with statistics.

Killer Mike did a great job IMO in that interview, raising salient points- and surprisingly, so did Bill who often annoys me.
The number of guns in America exploded after the AWB passed and the MSR became the most popular firearm because of the AWB. Unintended consequences abound when you try to prohibit otherwise law-abiding people the things they want.
Image

Release the tapes!

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 17546
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER:Northern California
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#7 Post by shinzen » Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Also worth noting, even during the AWB, people still bought AR-15's and the like. Just as with current state level bans, simply modifying the features of the rifle to become compliant meant there was no real impact in availability. And if someone tries to tell me that pistol grips or flash hiders are why we have mass shootings, I'll come way out ahead as there are many, many bridges available for cut rate deals I can sell them.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gu ... ly-banned/
Image

User avatar
DougMasters
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#8 Post by DougMasters » Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Seriously, I can't friggin stand it. Being a gear nut sucks.

I have zero need for one of these. Not one need. But the more we talk about these things I wanna friggin buy one.

Just when I think I got it outta my head, like a bad miley cyrus song, BOOM someone else is in the news talkin about them.

And I hate to say it. But every friggin time they talk about all the things that make them mass murder machines, I start checkin off a list in my head of cool shit.

Pistol grip? Cool shit
Adjustable stocks? Cool shit
30 round magazines? Cool shit
Flash hiders? Cool shit
Forward hand grip? Cool shit
Bayonet? Yeah let's just toss a short sword at the end. COOL SHIT.

If my will power doesn't hold I dunno what's gonna happen.

eelj
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 14456
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#9 Post by eelj » Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm

senorgrand wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 pm
shinzen wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:23 pm
Reich, as noted in another thread I believe when his gun violence video came out, is misrepresenting the numbers at best.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/state ... ssault-we/

Similar claims by other folks have proven to be mostly false, and the studies following the AWB expiration showed no real effect. Also worth noting, his specifically called out 5 or more people dying in a mass shooting, which is a different statistic than the 4 that is normally used by congress, and is also different than the "new math" of using 3 or more people injured. Lies, damned lies, and statistics- and Robert knows what he's doing with statistics.

Killer Mike did a great job IMO in that interview, raising salient points- and surprisingly, so did Bill who often annoys me.
The number of guns in America exploded after the AWB passed and the MSR became the most popular firearm because of the AWB. Unintended consequences abound when you try to prohibit otherwise law-abiding people the things they want.
You're both 100% right. The ban was a scam, after the ban everywhere I went all I ever saw was ARs Minis and tarted up looking SKS carbines. I stopped going to gunshops because of it. I don't hold much stock for Mr Reich, to me he is just another former member of the clinton machine that is responsible for the destruction of the democratic party.

joe4570
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#10 Post by joe4570 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm

I have this silly fantasy about Robert Reich, he's dressed in a Mighty Mouse costume and swings from a rope tied to the balcony and just in the nick of time tears up the repeal of the Glass Steagall Act before Slick Willie has a chance to sign it. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/a ... -the-world

User avatar
ErikO
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 15455
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:49 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER: St Louis, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#11 Post by ErikO » Wed May 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Someone like Reich is not going to get an AK away from someone like me.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

User avatar
321FLSurfer
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:00 pm
Location: The Gunshine State
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#12 Post by 321FLSurfer » Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am

Killer Mike, EL-P, Run the Jewels FTW


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 17546
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER:Northern California
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#13 Post by shinzen » Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Speaking of Killer Mike and press, what about booking him on the LGC Podcast?
Image

User avatar
DougMasters
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#14 Post by DougMasters » Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm

That would be dope as hell.

willa1975
Been around awhile
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#15 Post by willa1975 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:21 am

One of the things on my bucket list is shooting guns with Killer Mike.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
sikacz
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 12811
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

#16 Post by sikacz » Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 am

shinzen wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm
Speaking of Killer Mike and press, what about booking him on the LGC Podcast?
Nice idea.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests