Making your own cases/nerd alert

Reviews and discussion of things that don't fall into one of the other categories.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Benredbeard
Helpful Contributor

Making your own cases/nerd alert

#1 Post by Benredbeard » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm about to make a custom case for all my honing and sharpening equipment, which got me thinking about how happy I am with my home made pistol case. Using an inexpensive plastic case (Plano or the like, just find one with suitable dimensions) and Kaisen foam, trace the foam and cut to fit closely to the case. Then arrange your bits and bobs until you like how they lie on the foam. Then just trace out what you have, and cut-and-peel the foam until the depths of each piece is perfect. Tip: using an electric carving knife for longer cuts and shaping the foam to the case does make for neater cuts.

Pictured is the case for my G42 and G20, plus mags, barrels and recoil springs (I do swap between 40S&W and 10mm occasionally, and have a ported barrel/spring combo for the full powered defensive 10mm loads).

Fun project and nice protection, even just for Glocks ;).

Now that I've invested in enough nice honing stones it's time to get another of these rolling. It'll be multi-depth (two trays) so a little more involved, but SWMBO is gone all next week so time for some swarf-n-sawdust therapy! Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Making your own cases/nerd alert

#2 Post by FlyGuy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Looks Like Fun!

Especially for the OCD crowd, which I'm a member of.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by Hiker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:02 pm

OK, I love this kind of thing!!!! Where do you get the cases and foam???

I want to do this for 'paired guns'. Like my KelTec Sub 2000 and the M&P 2.0. Since they use the same mags, I could fit both in a brief case sized box along with as many mags as I could fit in. If the grits hit the pan, I could just grab it and go. This would also work for the new Ruger take-down carbine and whatever gun it could be paired with.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Benredbeard
Helpful Contributor

#4 Post by Benredbeard » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Amazon for the cases, eBay for the Kaizen foam.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

spittingglass
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by spittingglass » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 pm

I thought about doing this, even bought the case for it, but got lazy and never cut the foam. I've since bought a big Plano case with pick'n'pluck foam and use that instead:

It works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯