Lever Actions: Which iron sight is best iron sight?

Reviews and discussion of rifles.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Lever Actions: Which iron sight is best iron sight?

#1 Post by atxgunguy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 am

Will be getting a Lever-Action 30-30 in the not too distant future and the first thing people tell me is, you'll want to get Skinner Sights for it because your eyes are old and aren't getting any better.

Well, thanks for that. So I was looking at the sight and it immediately turns into analysis paralysis. I'm just looking to plink some paper/steel, perhaps a hog at ~100 yards at most. Which is the best sight for that purpose?

Regarding the rifle, probably a Marlin 336...but hopefully a used, well-loved JM series at my favorite LGS. At any rate, most likely a Marlin.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGC Texas - Central Region President

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Skinner Sights - Which iron sight is best iron sight?

#2 Post by Marlene » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:22 am

Not skinner. People seem to like them because of the simplicity, but your Marlin will accept a variety of other options I like much better.

Old school tang sights as made by Lyman and Marbles are quite nice. Quality of current Marbles is better than current Lyman. I have this sort of peep on a bunch of levers.

Receiver mounted peeps of the style offered by Williams, Lyman and others are closer to the Skinner mounting styles, but actually adjustable and accept different size apertures that a person might actually want to use.

My hat is off to the ingenuity of the folks at Skinner for making a sight and a business from some hardware store scrounging, and their products do provide some options that are useful in particular applications. Your Marlin, in the other hand, has better stuff available.

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Skinner Sights - Which iron sight is best iron sight?

#3 Post by atxgunguy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Nearly bought a Mossberg 464 becuase it was there in the LGS, but yikes...fit and finish looks like it was put together and QA’d at Beer:30 on a Friday.

I know the new Marlins also suffer with some fit and finish issues as well, but ugh...anything has to better than Mossberg’s offering.

LGS said they’d have at least one Marlin on order for the coming week, so let’s hope for less suck.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Lever Actions: Skinner Sights - Which iron sight is best iron sight?

#4 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:01 pm

I thought the newest Marlins had fixed the problems, but I could be wrong.
I LOVE my 1979 JM Marlin--it's my favorite firearm and the only one that is absolutely pure fun to shoot! I know I shouldn't change the sights but I'm thinking of a 'scope for it.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by atxgunguy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:17 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:01 pm
I thought the newest Marlins had fixed the problems, but I could be wrong.
I LOVE my 1979 JM Marlin--it's my favorite firearm and the only one that is absolutely pure fun to shoot! I know I shouldn't change the sights but I'm thinking of a 'scope for it.
Marlin’s quality apparently went downhill after their Freedom Group acquisition. It’s a case of YMMV at this point.

DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by DavidMS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:40 pm

I don't know if the sights from XS meet your use needs but if they do you may wish to consider them: https://www.xssights.com/Default.aspx

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by atxgunguy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Marlin 336 orderedfro my LGS today. As I’ve got some time to wait, I was looking over the various options offered. While I think the XS would be great, they’re modern styling really diminishes the look of a Lever Action. Williams sights seem to be more my cuppa, but I’m running into analysis paralysis with the options. I like the basic aperture sights with the front fire sights, but...ugh...fiber optics isn’t doing the old-tymey look any favors.

I’m thinking about just starting with a basic aperture or ghost ring on the rear and sticking with the factory front sight.

That said, I do like the look of the Skinner rear sights...especially the blued+brass option.

NuJudge
Helpful Contributor

Re: Lever Actions: Which iron sight is best iron sight?

#8 Post by NuJudge » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:21 am

For iron sights of just about any sort, you will need to do something to be able to see the front sight. When you are older than age 40, this is a problem without Optician intervention, or some other measures.

I am age 62, and have special glasses for rifle & pistol shooting that deal with the problem, the master eye lens set up so I can see the front sight, the other lens set up for infinity (where the target is). It works well enough for me to shoot Expert level scores in Service Rifle.

There is a cheaper alternative, made by Lyman and other vendors. It is a supplementary aperture which sticks on your glasses, and looking through that plus your sights cleans up the picture of the front sight.

For type of iron sights, an aperture rear sight I shoot far better than the factory open rear sight. This may require drilling and tapping of the receiver.

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by atxgunguy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 pm

I'm in my early 40s and recently went to the eye doctor. I'm in that weird butter zone of being just near sighted enough that I can read without glasses but still need them for driving and long range depth perception.

To get back on topic, I went with the blued Skinner peep sight. Installed with a basic brass hammer and a bit of percussive maintenance. Shoots dead on out to 100 yards with a slight 6 o'clock hold for distances shorter than 40 yards.

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a nice accurate range plinker that gets you a solid 2MOA.Image

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by CDFingers » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 pm

I have a receiver peep and gold bead on my Marlin 336. Really like it.

CDFingers
ImageImage
In spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain
One last voice is calling you, and I guess it's time you go

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#11 Post by Marlene » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:08 pm

I'll try to take pictures of the sights we are putting on my fake husband's 92 this week; Marble's tang sight with a repro old school globe sight with glass level. Dunno how much elevation we are gonna be able to get, but 45 Colt is awful fun on the 300 yard gong.

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by max129 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am

Marlene said:

Not skinner. People seem to like them because of the simplicity, but your Marlin will accept a variety of other options I like much better.
I have a Henry Steel in .357 Magnum. I looked all over and the Skinner Sights were the only option I found. I think I am about $200 total into the project (I added the plug for the removed buckhorns and had to buy a new front sight). The sights work fine, but there is a wait time and the cost seems out of proportion to what you get.

Given the volume in which these rifles sell, it is hard to understand why there are not more options.

And for the final step, I had to take one of my wife's steel files to the range to trim the new front sight down to the right level :-). That was a first for me.

The sights work well, and the looks of the rifle maintain their integrity. Basically, I just hate buckhorn (or semi) sights. The peep sights work a lot better for me.

So I guess I am a +1 on Marlene's comment. I would have preferred another option.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by senorgrand » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:25 pm

I had a marlin with XS sights and hated them. They felt like the rifle equal of a snub nose gutter sight. Ghost ring was HUGE and the white stripe front blade didn't suit me. I like a rifle sight with a bead, thank you.

Release the tapes!

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by max129 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 pm

senorgrand, like you, I prefer a bead and the new front sight from Skinner was just a blade.