Delta passenger travels from Atlanta to Tokyo carrying a firearm

Post your links to the latest news.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Delta passenger travels from Atlanta to Tokyo carrying a firearm

#1 Post by highdesert » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 pm

A traveler carrying a firearm boarded a flight from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and flew to Tokyo Narita International Airport on January 3, according to a statement from the Transportation Security Administration. "TSA has determined standard procedures were not followed and a passenger did in fact pass through a standard screening TSA checkpoint with a firearm at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on the morning of January 3," the release states. Delta Airlines also issued a statement to CNN, saying that "upon the customer's disclosure, the airline reported the incident to the TSA."

The security breach came two weeks into the government shutdown, during which TSA agents have been required to work but have not received paychecks. CNN first reported on January 4 -- a day after the breach -- that hundreds of TSA agents from at least four major airports had called in sick. However, the TSA dismissed suggestions the government shutdown contributed to the security lapse and said a normal amount of staffers were working that day. "The perception that this might have occurred as a result of the partial government shutdown would be false," TSA said. "The national unscheduled absence rate of TSA staff on Thursday, January 3, 2019, was 4.8% compared to 6.3% last year, Thursday, January 4, 2018. So in fact, the national call out rate was higher a year ago than this year on that date." The TSA noted that it will "hold those responsible appropriately accountable."

TSA screeners have struggled to detect weapons even in the absence of a shutdown. In 2015, the acting administrator for the TSA was reassigned after a report found that airport screeners failed to detect explosives and weapons in nearly every test that an undercover team conducted at dozens of airports. About 51,000 TSA agents are among the 800,000 government employees working without pay or on furlough during the shutdown. The Air Traffic Controllers Union, Aviation Safety Inspectors Union and various other groups and air travel experts have issued statements condemning the various consequences of the shutdown, but the TSA and aviation experts have said flying is still safe.

"Security standards will NOT and have NOT been compromised," said Michael Bilello, TSA assistant administrator for public affairs, on Twitter. In an attempt to ease the financial pain caused by the government shutdown, the TSA announced Sunday that it would provide a day's pay for those who were on duty the day after the lapse in funding, and also award $500 bonuses for work during the holiday travel season. "While I realize this is not what you are owed for your hard work ... and what you deserve, I hope these actions alleviate some of the financial hardship many of you are facing," TSA Administrator David Pekoske wrote.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/us/tsa-g ... index.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

BKinzey
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Delta passenger travels from Atlanta to Tokyo carrying a firearm

#2 Post by BKinzey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 pm

So, what happened to the guy? Where's the gun? Are they both still in Tokyo?

How'd that "customer disclosure" go? Did they answer a post flight survey? "My flight was great, the seat comfortable, loved the meal, arrived on time! Oh, I brought a gun."

Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by Bisbee » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 am

Funny the ass-covering double-speak TSA officials are employing.

The gentleman in question probably just answered truthfully when presented with the Japanese immigration forms which asked if you were bringing any raw fruit/vegetable, uncooked meat or firearms...

Another article simply stated he was met by Japanese law enforcement officials upon disembarking. I don't think he necessarily got in trouble. I can imagine Japanese officials bowed to the honorable American and apologized that in Japan people are not allowed to carry firearms, so sorry for the inconvenience, and asked for the address the firearm could be mailed back to in the United States, free of charge to the Traveler of course.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by highdesert » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 am

TSA screeners stop passengers — many of them forgetful or unwittingly — carrying loaded guns onto planes in their carry-on luggage fairly regularly throughout the year; a reported 4,000 firearms were seized at checkpoints in 2017. Instances in which armed passengers make it through security, however, are rare.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... 4a9e038be7

Most of the reports just repeat the CNN one. I guess it could have been TSA checking their system.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by max129 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am

This is the biggest reason I have a "no firearms or ammo in my backpack" rule. I live in some worry that I would accidentally leave a firearm in my pack when I head to the airport.

Also, If I go shooting the day before I board a plane, I use extra scrubbing to remove any residue from gunfire (those pads they wipe you with will trigger explosives when testing in their machine).

I have - one time - flown on a plane only to discover at the other end that a speed strip of .357 was still in my bag. It did not trigger any alerts. I left the ammo with a gun shop - it would have cost more than it was worth to ship it home.

So, "Yes" I can imagine accidentally having a firearm in my bag. I have a terror about it.

Eris

#6 Post by Eris » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:40 am

max129 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am
This is the biggest reason I have a "no firearms or ammo in my backpack" rule. I live in some worry that I would accidentally leave a firearm in my pack when I head to the airport.

Also, If I go shooting the day before I board a plane, I use extra scrubbing to remove any residue from gunfire (those pads they wipe you with will trigger explosives when testing in their machine).

I have - one time - flown on a plane only to discover at the other end that a speed strip of .357 was still in my bag. It did not trigger any alerts. I left the ammo with a gun shop - it would have cost more than it was worth to ship it home.

So, "Yes" I can imagine accidentally having a firearm in my bag. I have a terror about it.
I can understand this. When I went to Canada in November I had a checklist of things to do before leaving that included in all caps "NO GUN IN PURSE!" to remind myself to leave my carry piece at home, and when I picked up my traveling companion I made sure that he didn't have a gun either.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

workinstiff
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by workinstiff » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:46 pm

I have a dedicated range bag. Going to the range is the only thing it used for and only loaded up with stuff for the day's shooting No chance of flying with it.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by featureless » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 pm

While I understand why guns on planes is a bad idea, I find it amusing this is even newsworthy. Nothing happened. I'm sure it's not the first or last time someone was on a plane with a gun and nothing happened. Looks like TSA needs to up their game but not sure why we all needed to know about nothing happening.

Mikeinmich
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by Mikeinmich » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am

I'm guessing it is a news slam on the turnip for the shutdown. "Oh, we're all scared and in danger because the screeners are taking sick leave because they are not getting paid" kind of thing. I'd be more worried about possible understaffing for air traffic controllers myself.

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by TrueTexan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 am

Mikeinmich wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am
I'm guessing it is a news slam on the turnip for the shutdown. "Oh, we're all scared and in danger because the screeners are taking sick leave because they are not getting paid" kind of thing. I'd be more worried about possible understaffing for air traffic controllers myself.
The Air Traffic Controllers have been understaffed since St. Ronnie broke the union. It just gets worse with the shutdowns.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

Stiff
Loquacious

#11 Post by Stiff » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:30 pm

I have bags specifically for firearms, so they never get anywhere near regular travel bags. This should prevent me from accidentally bringing a gun to the airport.

Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by Bisbee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:46 am

‘Twas a woman who forgot the gun was in her purse....

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/13/us/tsa ... 5253D51621
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#13 Post by highdesert » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am

Bisbee wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:46 am
‘Twas a woman who forgot the gun was in her purse....

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/13/us/tsa ... 5253D51621
The rest of the story - so it was't a TSA test.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by K9s » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 pm

I find that story hard to believe. I used to fly every other week for years and years. TSA in ATL obsessed over every little tiny thing they "thought" they saw.

I guess it could happen, but what are the odds?
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

#15 Post by Mustang » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:57 am

K9s wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 pm
I find that story hard to believe. I used to fly every other week for years and years. TSA in ATL obsessed over every little tiny thing they "thought" they saw.

I guess it could happen, but what are the odds?
"What are the odds?"

Considering that TSA misses 70-80% of fake weapons during routine testing and as recently as two years ago was missing 95% of fake weapons, I would say that the odds are quite good.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgol ... 3991532a38

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#16 Post by K9s » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm

I guess you are right, and I am not disputing those studies. Hard for me to believe those stats after years of personal experience. I would love to see the details on those studies.

Considering bags are x-ray imaged and your body is millimeter wave scanned, is that all for show? I truly don't believe it is.

I think it is just as likely that the security industry pushes those numbers to sell the more expensive CT baggage scanners. Never underestimate the power of fear to sell products to people with uniforms and badges.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

#17 Post by Mustang » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:22 pm

K9s wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm
I guess you are right, and I am not disputing those studies. Hard for me to believe those stats after years of personal experience. I would love to see the details on those studies.

Considering bags are x-ray imaged and your body is millimeter wave scanned, is that all for show? I truly don't believe it is.

I think it is just as likely that the security industry pushes those numbers to sell the more expensive CT baggage scanners. Never underestimate the power of fear to sell products to people with uniforms and badges.
Look again. Those tests are conducted by the Office of Inspector General for Homeland Security, not by the security industry. The tests results do not make Homeland Security look good and it seems unlikely that they would be participating in a scheme to inflate those numbers.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#18 Post by K9s » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:35 pm

Mustang wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:22 pm
K9s wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Look again. Those tests are conducted by the Office of Inspector General for Homeland Security, not by the security industry. The tests results do not make Homeland Security look good and it seems unlikely that they would be participating in a scheme to inflate those numbers.
I did read the article. It is very general. It is a Forbes article's take on the study we haven't seen. I am not going to argue about this anymore. Can we agree to disagree?
The Forbes Audience Network aggregates Forbes-owned media properties and affiliates to create an audience of affluent business professionals catering to our users' interests and passions centered around business, investing, luxury lifestyles and politics.

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

#19 Post by Mustang » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:12 pm

K9s wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:35 pm

I did read the article. It is very general. It is a Forbes article's take on the study we haven't seen. I am not going to argue about this anymore. Can we agree to disagree?
Sure...if you are going to argue that the TSA is highly effective at finding weapons in carry on luggage, I assure you that we disagree.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/ ... 85558.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tr ... 07c355e869

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tes ... d=51022188

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/83680926-157.html

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/tsa-fa ... f-the-time

etc, etc, etc...

Batty

#20 Post by Batty » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:58 pm

I got through TSA in January with a live round in my vest pocket, oops. Didn’t realize it until 2 days later when I reached into my pocket and was like, “What’s this? Oh. Wow.”

Darwinchip
Verified Member
Verified Member

#21 Post by Darwinchip » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:42 pm

max129 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am
those pads they wipe you with will trigger explosives when testing in their machine).
They can also trigger if you spilled paint thinner on your bag weeks earlier.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail