Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

Post your links to the latest news.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 10194
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:12 pm
Location: SoNH
Contact:

Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#1 Post by DispositionMatrix » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 am

...allegedly.
Ask Amy: Dad is horrified to learn daughter has a gun in their house
Dear Amy: This week, I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it.

Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess! She says it is for emergencies. There have only been two home invasions in our neighborhood in the last 11 years.

I’ve given her three choices: She can either give her weapon to me, sell it or move out in three weeks.
Apparently, the daughter's ownership of a firearm makes her impossible to trust and is "endangering" the father, provided the entire thing is not made up.

User avatar
senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18496
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#2 Post by senorgrand » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:32 am

I need to market hair-fire extinguishers for the modern American. Or bring back the fainting couch. Get a fucking grip.
Image

Release the tapes!

User avatar
Bang
Chatty
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:52 pm
Location: LGC Member in The land of the Mormons
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#3 Post by Bang » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am

Allegedly is right, no one wrote this supposed letter. The columnist or someone who works with her contrived it to push an agenda.

User avatar
Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: On The Border with no need of The Wall.
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#4 Post by Bisbee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Link to evidence backing that assertion, Bang?

Because without evidence then we are no better than the noise generators on this issue.

But yes, I am dismayed at the tone of this so called “advice columnist”. While anyone could conceivably start a column professing to give rational advice for people in society to get along, it doesn’t mean that everyone should. In this day and age where anyone with internet and a keyboard can blog and broadcast their opinions, I feel the standards for professional writers and editors should be held at a higher; where facts and opinions are clearly explained.

If the aim of this column is to propagate fear and mistrust, the columnist succeeded. In every other respect where we imagine folks writing in for advice would be seeking, such as information, guidance, understanding, this “Amy” fails on all fronts.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

User avatar
Mason
Moderator
Posts: 7771
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 am
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#5 Post by Mason » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Wow! That is some stupid, non factual shit. Hollow points illegal? Somebody get Amy a wig.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

User avatar
max129
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:35 pm
Location: Free State of Nevada
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#6 Post by max129 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Other than the hysterical tone of the "Father", the basic idea that he should have control of his own house is legit.

But treating his 24 year old daughter like a child is not OK.

One thing all of on this forum need to accept is that the anti-gun sentiment is not based on rational concepts. Assertions such as "that is the kind of gun a criminal owns" or that hollow points are "exploding ammunition" are pervasive.

To most of these emotional anti-gun people, the only info they want to read or hear is that "two legs bhaaaad, four legs gooooood". OH SORRY "guns are bhaaaad ... no-guns gooooood".
Image

User avatar
Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#7 Post by Buck13 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:37 pm

"Not a normal gun."

Describes an exceedingly normal gun. :rolleyes:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

User avatar
Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: On The Border with no need of The Wall.
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#8 Post by Bisbee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Hyperbole fer sure... or is it?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

User avatar
Bang
Chatty
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:52 pm
Location: LGC Member in The land of the Mormons
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#9 Post by Bang » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Bisbee wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm
Link to evidence backing that assertion, Bang?
No evidence, no, but it's too on the nose. The tone the writer takes is too exact, the emotions too extreme. The writer isn't trying to tell the reader about their feelings, they're trying to convince them of them. It's ungenuine.

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18481
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#10 Post by CDFingers » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Buck13 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:37 pm
"Not a normal gun."

Describes an exceedingly normal gun. :rolleyes:
This is also my biggest take away from the OP about that entertainer's column.

CDFingers
ImageImage
You know my uncle--he starts a friendly game
it's the high-low Jack and the winner takes the hand

User avatar
Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: On The Border with no need of The Wall.
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#11 Post by Bisbee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 pm

While I may agree this feels like a setup, there is an inherent problem with gut feelings that is the heart of our political paralysis. It is exactly the same “logical fallacy” that lead Dear Amy to write what she did:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

User avatar
max129
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:35 pm
Location: Free State of Nevada
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#12 Post by max129 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:29 pm

OK, so this week we learn about 'deep fake' videos. Well, advice columnists have been faking their letters for decades. A tiny few have been caught because it is not normal for their supplicants to reveal a real identity in the first place.

I agree with Bisbee we need to focus on 'fact based' arguments. I also agree this one smells a bit.

In any event. The columnist's answer was to use the letter as a pretense for a pitch from her (very small) bully pulpit.

No where did she point out that the man's daughter is of legal age and has the right to own a firearm. The hysterics of "exploding ammunition" would be entertaining in another world.
Image

User avatar
senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18496
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#13 Post by senorgrand » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Sounds like something the FBI would carry...
Image

Release the tapes!

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18673
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#14 Post by shinzen » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 am

When I saw this article yesterday I swear I thought it was a satire site and some parody of the antigun crown. This is just unreal to me. Some of our FB members decided to discuss this letter with the columnist on twitter. (Not at our behest) I think this one sums it up pretty well.
Amy.JPG
Image

User avatar
DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm
Location: Virgina
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#15 Post by DavidMS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:29 am

shinzen wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 am
When I saw this article yesterday I swear I thought it was a satire site and some parody of the antigun crown. This is just unreal to me. Some of our FB members decided to discuss this letter with the columnist on twitter. (Not at our behest) I think this one sums it up pretty well.

Amy.JPG
Jamie's reply is pitch perfect.

User avatar
Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: On The Border with no need of The Wall.
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#16 Post by Bisbee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:07 pm

👌 Perfect.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

User avatar
inomaha
Loquacious
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#17 Post by inomaha » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:17 pm

I don't trust my daughters either. But it's with the credit card not their guns.

Dude locks himself in his bedroom to protect himself from his armed daughter. LMAO. After reading it, I get the feeling it was a strawman to set up the response.

I'm surprised Omaha.com ran that syndicated column, given the readership here. It likely went over like a turd in a punchbowl.

That's before we even get to the point where it reads that grown women shouldn't be armed for their protection and are likely not trained or capable of owning a gun. How misogynist is that crap coming from an Amy. A lot of females here are strong, capable, armed, and have been shooting since childhood. Maybe his daughter joined The Well Armed Women group and has her CCW permit.
Brian

User avatar
featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3443
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#18 Post by featureless » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:21 pm

inomaha wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:17 pm
Maybe his daughter joined The Well Armed Women group and has her CCW permit.
We can hope. My wife isn't much into guns--they frighten her. She has learned how to use them, though. My daughter enjoys shooting with me. They are both about as liberal as they come.

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 12193
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#19 Post by highdesert » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Dear Amy is Amy Dickinson, born, raised and currently living in NY. She's lived a sheltered life and where others who write advice columns consult experts, Amy is just passing along her ignorance.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
awshoot
Been around awhile
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:40 am
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#20 Post by awshoot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Her advice is based on false premises. Do you think there will ever be a retraction? I don't. People like her don't care about the facts,

Image

Jerseyite
Been around awhile
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

#21 Post by Jerseyite » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 am

awshoot wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:53 pm
Her advice is based on false premises. Do you think there will ever be a retraction? I don't. People like her don't care about the facts,

Image
The ignorance is equal parts terrifying and hilarious.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest