incendiary bullets

as i mentioned in my reloading bench thread, i happened upon an incendiary bullet mixed into a box of lake city pulled USGI bullets. naturally i loaded it up into a cartridge. what else was i supposed to do with it?(no, don't answer that) so my question is, will i see any difference in daylight, of should i save it for after dark?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: incendiary bullets

Load a handful of’em into a 12ga shotshell and share videos!!!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Don't tracer rounds put more wear and tear on a rifle barrel?
I recall that they're "legal" to buy, but not shoot them in most areas and caution is needed as the rounds can start fires.
What's the story with tracer rounds?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Tracer rounds are so you can "walk" fire onto a target, particularly at night. They are also even more terrifying, somehow, than just having regular "invisible" bullets coming at you. We would load them every third or fifth round in M16's and M249's for night fire ops.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Marlene wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:45 pm Incendiary isn’t the same as tracer is it?
Looked it up there is a difference. Tracers have a coating that allows their trajectory to be traced. Incendiary bullets have a compound that ignites on contact with an object to start a fire. The incendiary ammo first used in WWI by the British to shoot down the Zeppelins by igniting the hydrogen gas. In WWII incendiaryBullets used to ignite gas tanks on the fighters. The British had .303 caliber incendiary while the USAAF used the .50 caliber. They both mixed the incendiary , tracer and amour piercing rounds on the same belt feeding the machine guns.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Hi...
Tracer ammunition, the orange tip stuff, has a small pryo charge, usually a magnesium or aluminum salt, though other metals get used too...in the base of the bullet, up its butt as it were.

It won't harm the barrel. Because it's in the base and not a coating. It will start fires though, because it'll continue to burn until exhausted.

Saw a video daughter's former beloved made when he was teaching newly minted Marines how to handle machine guns effectively. Every 4th was a tracer round and it was rather sobering to realize that there were three rounds in between.

It was shot in daylight. Looked like a solid line of light coming out of the barrel. He tells me that those directly on the other end of the equation (the receiving end) wouldn't see a thing.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:03 am Hi...
Tracer ammunition, the orange tip stuff, has a small pryo charge, usually a magnesium or aluminum salt, though other metals get used too...in the base of the bullet, up its butt as it were.

It won't harm the barrel. Because it's in the base and not a coating. It will start fires though, because it'll continue to burn until exhausted.

Saw a video daughter's former beloved made when he was teaching newly minted Marines how to handle machine guns effectively. Every 4th was a tracer round and it was rather sobering to realize that there were three rounds in between.

It was shot in daylight. Looked like a solid line of light coming out of the barrel. He tells me that those directly on the other end of the equation (the receiving end) wouldn't see a thing.
thanks for this, i knew someone had to have some more direct experience with it. the cylindrical part of the base of the bullet was maybe a quarter of an inch longer than regular bullets, and there was something resembling a shotgun primer inside. no, not gonna cut one open.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?