The Instant Legolas

Been following this for awhile now, and there are a few different videos. Neat concept- high capacity bow shooting- the in this video he's shooting a 120lb bow, with 5 shots in 8 seconds, all made with medieval components- showing that yes, it can be done. The inventor, Joerg, now is selling a commercial version as well, which is pretty neat.

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: The Instant Legolas

Is 120# the draw, or the weight of the bow? :crazy:
Will have to come back to this. My experience, with a little practice, I can draw, load, aim, shoot, and repeat with a simple 60# crossbow in about 6s. It's not great aim, but far better than I was led to believe possible before I started shooting 'em.

Re: The Instant Legolas

lurker wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:24 am oh, ok, i see now, no legos at all, which explains why it's called lego-less
:rofl:

Seems like a lot of hardware for very little practical benefit.
highdesert wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 pm That's neat, he just needed Legolas the Elf (Orlando Bloom), but Joe wasn't bad. Would it kill and orc?
Depends on the armor? If it's anything like the Agincourt-vintage plate they tested, no. That was a great video.

One thing I took note of - the KE values they got from the chrono readings put the 160# war bow at 10 m / 11 yards were just north of 90 ft-lbs. Down to 80 ft-lbs at 25m. BBTI has most .22LR doing 80 ft-lbs out of a 3" barrel, and I believe they made the point somewhere that you'd need to add another inch for revolvers because of the cylinder. It's a great illustration of the difference between energy dump and penetration wound theories - the first shot glanced low off the breast plate and went clean through the riveted mail and doublet beneath. A through-and-through hole 1/2" in diameter, with the energy of a snub nose shooting Mini-Mags. As much as I love a good bow, it shows why firearms took over.