A Conundrum: Dan Wesson 1911 vs custom CZ

Let me say at the outside that I have more than enough guns. I know that sounds blasphemous, but as a man with 70 years of age peeking over the horizon and with no one to leave them to upon my demise, I don’t want to make things even more difficult for my wife and children. (Please note that I am not in any health crisis.)

That having been said and noting that I have recently come into a bit of a financial windfall, I’m thinking about buying one more handgun, my last, and I want it to be special. I have pretty much narrowed my search down to two, as the title says.

I have four CZ 75 pistols and I like them a lot but some of the custom guns keep winking at me and I am a sucker for a pretty face.

I have a lovely Sig 1911, a Nightmare Carry. It’s great. But I fondled a Dan Wesson Bruin and a 9mm Discretion and my knees got weak. I had a DW revolver for a while. It was lovely but aggravated the arthritis in my hand to the extent that I never shot it so I sold it.

So, any advice (and please, don’t say buy them both)?

Re: A Conundrum: Dan Wesson 1911 vs custom CZ

I was just looking through the Dan Wesson website and there is quite the selection.
If I had to make a choice, it would fall on the Dan Wesson.
My main reason is that I am not a big fan of CZ triggers. I own two a 75 polished and a 97DB.
I had a Cajun Works trigger job on the 97DB and its better, but nothing beats a 1911 trigger break.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote:I was just looking through the Dan Wesson website and there is quite the selection.
If I had to make a choice, it would fall on the Dan Wesson.
My main reason is that I am not a big fan of CZ triggers. I own two a 75 polished and a 97DB.
I had a Cajun Works trigger job on the 97DB and its better, but nothing beats a 1911 trigger break.
A very good point. My Sigg 1911 trigger is head and shoulders better than any of my CZ triggers. The latter are fine, but the 1911’s is sublime.

Considering you already have several CZ-75 iterations, maybe a nice Dan Wesson 1911 is fitting for a distinguished gentleman like yourself. It’s that or a shiny CZ-clone race gun which you’ll never use to it’s designed capacity. Which one would you rather paw every once in a while during those cold, wet PA winters? Which would bring you greater satisfaction to manipulate and stroke while sitting next to the crackling fire, running your toes through the fur of those lazy freeloaders sleeping below your feet?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

OMG, I just checked out the DWX. I think you need to get that one. Not just the handle of a CZ slammed into a 1911 frame and trigger. The slide also apparently rides inside the frame like a true CZ. I don’t know why this pistol design isn’t more popular...

Oh, it costs more than my 2004 Corolla is why.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

And here you thought the LGC community exists to make your life easier. -How quaint.

Speaking of children, how dare you disown us at this late date!

Well, if you're really looking for one to stroke more than shoot, Dan Wesson. If you're looking for one more to shoot than to stroke, that DWX seems like the thing. It's hard to beat the appearance of a stainless 1911. The DWX is close to ugly by comparison.

I'd wanted a Dan Wesson really bad (ok, still do) until you talked me into the SP-01. I don't get to shoot enough as it is, so function over form. (plus it's half the cost and more utilitarian)

featureless wrote:Well, if you're really looking for one to stroke more than shoot, Dan Wesson. If you're looking for one more to shoot than to stroke, that DWX seems like the thing. It's hard to beat the appearance of a stainless 1911. The DWX is close to ugly by comparison.

I'd wanted a Dan Wesson really bad (ok, still do) until you talked me into the SP-01. I don't get to shoot enough as it is, so function over form. (plus it's half the cost and more utilitarian)
Was I right about the Sp-01? I’d hate to think I misled you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:41 pm
featureless wrote:Well, if you're really looking for one to stroke more than shoot, Dan Wesson. If you're looking for one more to shoot than to stroke, that DWX seems like the thing. It's hard to beat the appearance of a stainless 1911. The DWX is close to ugly by comparison.

Was I right about the Sp-01? I’d hate to think I misled you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the fucking bomb! I have a CGW trigger kit waiting in the garage if I ever get around to it (and work up the nerve). Did I mention I got a PRC shortly after? It was all forlorn in the LGS.

I agree with Featureless. The DWX is amazing but looks like the offspring of a fling between a 1911 and SP-01. A truly nice 1911 would probably look and feel much better fondling empty in the house. I own a beautifully blued Colt 1911 for that expressed purpose.

I would like to shoot the DWX though, just to see how much better it is than a cajunized SP-01. Is it truly 2-3x better? -I wonder. But based on looks I can say it wins points on novelty; definitely a Klown gun, fer sure.

Oh, and if you get a Dan Wesson 1911 get a good one. And sell the Sig.