Quest for ammo, places to look

Everything being in short supply, perhaps a thread with hints were to find ammo. Since primers are a bit hard to locate, feel free to chime in.

Just recently I came to need some .308 Win and I wanted a specific bullet weight ammo. Many online vendors are just as bare as the brick and mortar establishments, but I found what I was looking for at EuroOptic. The ammo is found in a sub category within the Firearms section. Hope this helps anyone that can do internet purchases.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Quest for ammo, places to look

lurker wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:09 pm just got an e-mail, outdoorlimited.com claims to have 5.56, 7.62x39 and 9mm, can't speak to the prices.
Thanks for the link!

In stock, yes. Prices, high. If you are desperate and have the money, go for it. I haven't seen anything cheaper lately.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

For all of those shooting these rounds, consider the Holy Commandment of all brass whores--er, um, reloaders--everywhere:

1.) Keep Thy Brass.

2.) Reload Thy Brass.

3.) GOTO Step 1.

Yes, I pick up brass from semi-auto rifles as well. You better believe it. Gradually stock up on primers, powder, and projectiles, even if you're paying panic prices at the moment. Pick up a reloading press setup. The important thing is to get started. This way, you'll actually *have* ammo.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

$2/round for 9mm 115g FMJ? NOBODY on GunBroker is asking anywhere close to that much. At most $1/round or less, but nothing below $.65/round that I see. And not Russian steel-cased crap--Fiocchi, and other name brands.

Since I've been afraid to go to a range since the pandemic, -- my last go was a private range one of our LGC local group members has-- I haven't been "squandering" my stocks of ammo. My last purchase was 9mm brass FMJ, 1000 rounds for $600. I don't think you'll do better than that.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Northern wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:43 am There’s definitely a huge range of prices on gunbroker but watching the auctions as opposed to Buy Now prices gives a picture of where the market actually stands, I think. I agree, Yankee, 9mm FMJ is currently not above $1/rd.
Everyone calls me YT for short--I had it long before it became shorthand for You Tube! :lol: :thumbup: :D
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Some of those are from retailers. I see $2/rd brass FMJ 9mm from retailers lately. That's why $600 sounds like a good price (when it is triple 2019 prices).

At least firearms prices will drop further soon. Who wants guns with these ammo prices?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:57 pm Some of those are from retailers. I see $2/rd brass FMJ 9mm from retailers lately. That's why $600 sounds like a good price (when it is triple 2019 prices).

At least firearms prices will drop further soon. Who wants guns with these ammo prices?
Yeah, and some of us remember when $1 / gal for gasoline seemed not just outrageous but outlandish. Nowadays, we'd figure it's a scam...then it was price gouging!

The summer I graduated HS, I pumped gas for college money. We charged 42.9¢ / gal for regular and 44.9¢ for high-test.

One million dollars? Please tell me they have a FFL in a hollowed out volcano. Guarded by sharks with fricking lasers.

I'm wondering if 9mm Luger is ever going to come back down again. Lots of new buyers, higher demand, competition from law enforcement, magazines over 10 rounds? I think it's going to be like the old .22 drought. Everything's short these days, but I remember .30 carbine and .454 Casull lingering on shelves last year.

OTOH, I am seeing 9mm back in inventory, along with .45 ACP - at double the price. JHPs didn't jump in price the way hardball did, initially - I think the buyers are people who understand the difference in demand between defensive and target shooting. Wouldn't be surprised if commodity traders are playing games with inventory. Dense durable goods with high fluctuation in demand, meet warehouses and capitalism.

wings wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:52 am One million dollars? Please tell me they have a FFL in a hollowed out volcano. Guarded by sharks with fricking lasers.

I'm wondering if 9mm Luger is ever going to come back down again. Lots of new buyers, higher demand, competition from law enforcement, magazines over 10 rounds? I think it's going to be like the old .22 drought. Everything's short these days, but I remember .30 carbine and .454 Casull lingering on shelves last year.

OTOH, I am seeing 9mm back in inventory, along with .45 ACP - at double the price. JHPs didn't jump in price the way hardball did, initially - I think the buyers are people who understand the difference in demand between defensive and target shooting. Wouldn't be surprised if commodity traders are playing games with inventory. Dense durable goods with high fluctuation in demand, meet warehouses and capitalism.
Manufacturers are focusing on 9mm, .308, and .223/5.56 now. Everything else will be less available for the foreseeable future. I assume that, as availability increases, prices won't drop until the hoarders and scalpers run out of reasons to hoard and price gouge. I would love to see good brass cased 9mm drop back below $0.20/round again some day.

So much for shooting my revolvers and lever gun for the next year or more, though. Any non-AR or non-9mm calibers will be dry for a while.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saw some 308 Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing BTHP for about twice what I paid for GM308 pre-panic. Still.... $32/box is the best I have seen in a year (in stock). They had a limit of 10 boxes and it sold out pretty fast.

CCI Mini-Mag 22LR can be found for 16 cents/rd on backorder. Haven't seen it cheaper yet.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 pm Saw some 308 Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing BTHP for about twice what I paid for GM308 pre-panic. Still.... $32/box is the best I have seen in a year (in stock). They had a limit of 10 boxes and it sold out pretty fast.

CCI Mini-Mag 22LR can be found for 16 cents/rd on backorder. Haven't seen it cheaper yet.
I'm in pretty good shape with .308. I like the AR-10 format because I think it's more versatile than .223.