How’s the weather

How’s the weather in y’all’s locales? Y’all up north are more used to arctic cold fronts. I hear there’s a big one coming down south. Supposedly we might get some record breaking weather. The biggest issue might come in the form of power outages. The news indicated that demand is expected to exceed available. Unluckily we have electric heating and a/c. Not going to be fun if the electricity goes out. LoL. Good thing I have my old Finnish winter clothes. LoL. (Temps in C.)

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
061DFE45-19B1-49BC-98DB-78FCAABA5B13.jpeg

Re: How’s the weather

Wow, that's cold stay warm. Must be frigid temperatures from Canada. We had a lot of cold days in December and January but it's warmed up. Read about that terrible pileup in Fort Worth, said 70 to 100 vehicles, five deaths, I felt sorry for the emergency services. Storms seem to be passing us by, they just blow through.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:50 pm Wow, that's cold stay warm. Must be frigid temperatures from Canada. We had a lot of cold days in December and January but it's warmed up. Read about that terrible pileup in Fort Worth, said 70 to 100 vehicles, five deaths, I felt sorry for the emergency services. Storms seem to be passing us by, they just blow through.
I think the death toll on that one is at 7 last time I heard. From Sunday to Wednesday I’m not driving. I don’t have all season tires and most Houstonians have not had much experience with ice. LoL. Below freezing is not something Houstonian are used to.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Highs in the 60s F last week, highs of 40s and lower this week. This has been the pattern all winter. Flowers are blooming because 60s and 70s in Jan and Feb every other week. I assume it is the same in Houston.

And record amounts of rain the past year. I love rain, but this is ridiculous.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

rockhound wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:05 pm Temperature is -9 (F) here at the moment, Sunday's forecast is for a high of -4 (F) with a low of -21 (F) overnight into Monday.
No fair. We are on the gulf coast with Florida. You border Canada. Send snow, please! We've had none this year.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Snowfall has been sparse this year, hoping that there's enough insulation from the snow cover that we have to keep the city water/sewer hookups from freezing. On the positive side, I had to replace the boiler in "this old house" late last year, the old unit was around 60 years old, so it was time. The old boiler unit persevered above and beyond its lifespan and the new one is performing well, though I'm sure it will not have that sort of service life.

How's the weather?

I've had to pour $$$ into my plow. First it was the hydraulic hoses, today it was the receivers. Meanwhile my single-stage snow-blower gave up the ghost--I think it threw the rod. And the replacement from Home Depot keeps having its delivery delayed.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

At little below freezing and a bit of snow, and of course people are losing their shit. Few places >45° from the equator are as unable to handle actual winter as Seattle, even though it regularly snows like a motherfucker just a few miles away in the mountains.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Felt a little chilly and overcast all day in Los Angeles. I mean heck, the mercury never even crossed over 65* today! I could barely stand driving to the market my hands got so darn cold holding the milk.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Cold here in Wisconsin. Presently -4 deg F. High tomorrow is 2. High Sunday is -2. This has to happen for a stretch (hopefully short) every year, so I'm used to it but don't like it. I think cold was harder when I lived in the South for 20 years because they just weren't set up for it. Good luck to you folks in the southern states.

Bisbee wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:01 am Felt a little chilly and overcast all day in Los Angeles. I mean heck, the mercury never even crossed over 65* today! I could barely stand driving to the market my hands got so darn cold holding the milk.
You go to Hell and you die!!!

:lol:

Douchebags from LA say "Oh, it's so cold in Seattle," not realizing that 85% of the continent (including Mexico) is colder in the winter.

Then dumbasses from Seattle say "It's too hot to cook" when it's barely over 80°F, not realizing that 90% of the continent is warmer AND far more humid in the summer.

We're low on rain, but temps are normal to high normal. Rain today. Could use ten days straight. It's only froze two days this winter. 40 degrees north in California. Not normal.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

sikacz wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:33 pm How’s the weather in y’all’s locales? Y’all up north are more used to arctic cold fronts. I hear there’s a big one coming down south. Supposedly we might get some record breaking weather. The biggest issue might come in the form of power outages. The news indicated that demand is expected to exceed available. Unluckily we have electric heating and a/c. Not going to be fun if the electricity goes out. LoL. Good thing I have my old Finnish winter clothes. LoL. (Temps in C.)
Fortunately my whole hose generator is finally online and has been tested by several short term outages.

It works.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Here in Kentucky there was a pretty bad ice storm Wednesday night. Everything has a 1/4" layer of ice on it.
The adjoining county had almost an inch of ice. I lost internet for about 24 hours. Most electric outages are localized in my county. Parts of Kentucky in Appalachia didn't fare so well. One county has a 100% outage.
Temps are going to be below freezing for about the next week. I am very worried about my water pipes. I've had the slow trickle going for 3 days now. We are expecting 8+ inches of snow on Monday, which, when added to the ice on tree limbs, could result in more outages.
power outage.png
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

My Bougainvillea had started spring budding growth - I expect the 28F today has given them a shock. I may have to drip faucets for the first time in years this weekend into Tuesday as mid 20's predicted for extended time. Possible snow in SATX forecast. Cold, raw, blustery, wet (83%Rh). Snow or ice will mean destruction derby time on local roads as they can't drive on dry pavement under good conditions. Depressing weekend and Trump will be acquitted to boot. Life can be a bitch at times. Y'all stay safe and warm !!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Buck13 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am
Bisbee wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:01 am Felt a little chilly and overcast all day in Los Angeles. I mean heck, the mercury never even crossed over 65* today! I could barely stand driving to the market my hands got so darn cold holding the milk.
You go to Hell and you die!!!

:lol:
In Norse mythology, hell is the coldest of the 9 worlds. Now, we call it Minnesota. But the mosquitos are not bad, and the water is hard enough to go fishing.

Hiker wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:57 am Here in Kentucky there was a pretty bad ice storm Wednesday night. Everything has a 1/4" layer of ice on it.
The adjoining county had almost an inch of ice. I lost internet for about 24 hours. Most electric outages are localized in my county. Parts of Kentucky in Appalachia didn't fare so well. One county has a 100% outage.
Temps are going to be below freezing for about the next week. I am very worried about my water pipes. I've had the slow trickle going for 3 days now. We are expecting 8+ inches of snow on Monday, which, when added to the ice on tree limbs, could result in more outages.

power outage.png
Slow trickle is my plan as well. Keep warm!

Overcast, rain/drizzle and just above freezing. Gloomy AF. Been like this for weeks. Usually I’d go meet friends for food and drink to break up the winter monotony. Stupid pandemic.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese