Blog - Biden’s Executive Actions

As expected, the Biden administration announced a series of Executive Actions related to “gun violence.” Here is our breakdown. There are some not smart things here. The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns.” We’ve talked about this, the so called proliferation of “ghost guns” in crimes seems completely made up, according to Biden’s own ATF. It has always been legal to make your own firearms, and while its indeed been made easier with modern tools readily available to regular people, there is no crime wave being caused by these. The vast majority are being made by hobbyists, legally, and legally possessed. The problem they are trying to solve doesn’t exist. The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act.  The DOJ and the ATF should not write laws. Their original approval, then reversal, has been consistently capricious. Even under the previous administration. And like our opposition to the Trump administration doing it with bump stocks, this is just as stupid. Amend the NFA if you want to amend the NFA. Arbitrarily turning hundreds of thousands of legal gun owners into felons seems like a really good way to spend a lot of time in court. Either that or a whole bunch of people get “free SBR tax stamps” and we can’t see either solution surviving a court challenge. The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states. Red flag laws are hugely problematic. Great intentions, paved with ridiculous abuse, and when there is abuse, it’s often disproportionate. Systemic racism loves poorly written laws. The Administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions. This is worth discussing, evidence based community violence interruption programs work. We’ve been saying it for years. If you want to reduce violence of any kind, things like Operation Ceasefire work. We’ve not seen the omnibus infrastructure bill that purportedly funds these for the details, but if its for stuff like that? We are all for it, and you should be too. Evidenced based solutions work. The administration should consider using evidence in its approach to the other things in this set of actions. The Justice Department will issue an annual report on firearms trafficking. The DOJ should indeed enforce existing laws. The focus on “ghost guns” is idiotic (see above), but there SHOULD be reporting on this, just like there is supposed to be other reporting  by the DOJ to congress on gun related issues  that seems to have lost its way from the FixNICS act. The President will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Mister Chipman seems qualified, but tapping someone from a lobbying group like Giffords, is problematic at best, read his positions for yourself.  Lobbyists with agendas shouldn’t run regulatory and law enforcement agencies regardless of whose “team” they are on. We don’t want someone from the NRA in the position either.    

Source: https://theliberalgunclub.com/bidens-executive-actions/

Re: Blog - Biden’s Executive Actions

Sadly the term "ghost guns" is like the term "partial birth abortion", it stirs up emotions in people so they support making it illegal. And that's the intention of each side, in this case the anti-gunners who stigmatize it as evil and therefore it has to be banned.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:12 pm Could be worse.

CDFingers
Yeah, could have been much worse.

The pistol-brace thing is weird; I suspect it will do nothing to reduce violence and will secure a substantial Republican majority in state houses and Congress for 2022, and set the thugs up to finish off the republic in 2024 (yeah, I'm a little cynical right now). IF it had the chance to save lives AND it went through proper legislative channels, I wouldn't mind it so much. It's doing neither, so it's an effective shoot yourself in the foot move. Hell, I know I'm a minority on this here, but if it did EITHER of those I wouldn't find it egregious.

Ditto for the ghost guns. A solution in search of a problem, and I'm not losing much sleep over either the problem or the solution. Just shooting himself in the foot for 2022 and 2024 without helping anyone.

Red flag laws. I'm not smart enough to know the repercussions of this. I like the idea of being able to call the police and say "my 21 year old incel son just came up from his home in our basement where he's been on a 1-week marathon of Red Bull, meth and shoot em up video games. He has a crazed look in his eyes, 2 shotguns, an AR-15, and a duffle bag full of ammo, I'm worried," and someone could stop the next nightmare, he'd get appropriate treatment, live a productive happy life, etc. But devil's in the details. Is that how it works? What red flags someone? How do they get their rights back? Honestly, if someone can parse this one out for me, I'd be grateful.

Evidence-based community violence interventions. Now we're talking. Again, devil's in the details, but this sounds good.

This is one reason I didn't vote for the asshole. The others were his positions on healthcare and him being a corporatist that would not favor the support unions need just to name two. His actions are right inline with what I believed he would make his priorities. I knew he was and is essentially anti civil rights, civil rights includes the whole bill of rights.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

cooper wrote:Also, lots of folks will say, "I didn't think Biden would be so anti-2A." I'm not one of those. This board has all my posts where I supported him. I expected him to do this. I voted for him anyway because Tr*mp. I would do it again.
Which was arguably the right thing to do. Doesn’t mean we have to take it lying down.

cooper wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm Also, lots of folks will say, "I didn't think Biden would be so anti-2A." I'm not one of those. This board has all my posts where I supported him. I expected him to do this. I voted for him anyway because Tr*mp. I would do it again.

I too supported Biden, he was the only viable alternative to TFG. I figured with the money Biden got from Bloomberg and the Bloomie groups that something would eventually come down the pike. There isn't much Biden can do, getting gun control laws through Congress is impossible. And Biden has an infrastructure bill and other legislation that he's focused on, packages that will pass.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

not to be selfish, but no effect on me, except to near-guarantee a resurgent repub party in 2022 and 2024. there are other, more important and useful things.
course, i just cut the buttstock off my m14clone and am fixing to affix a pistol grip, thereby arguably turning it into an assault pistol. so you never know. hold on, someone's at the door, brb...
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:13 pm not to be selfish, but no effect on me, except to near-guarantee a resurgent repub party in 2022 and 2024. there are other, more important and useful things.
course, i just cut the buttstock off my m14clone and am fixing to affix a pistol grip, thereby arguably turning it into an assault pistol. so you never know. hold on, someone's at the door, brb...
They nabbed lurker in short order. I'm surprised they knocked.

:lol:

Inquisitor wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:32 pm
cooper wrote:Also, lots of folks will say, "I didn't think Biden would be so anti-2A." I'm not one of those. This board has all my posts where I supported him. I expected him to do this. I voted for him anyway because Tr*mp. I would do it again.
Which was arguably the right thing to do. Doesn’t mean we have to take it lying down.
I cannot agree with this. The right thing to do was to choose someone better in the Democratic Primary election, like Tulsi or maybe Bernie. Shotgun Joe? HEYELL, NO. I knew that guy was bad news years ago, like Hillary; at least Tulsi or Bernie would've been honest and made some sort of serious effort to move the country into an actually better place, for the people, not just for the Big Donors. I still haven't figured out why Democrat voters went for Shotgun Joe in the Primary when there were better choices. Now look where it's getting us.

I keep saying that Primary Elections matter. That's because they do.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 pm
I cannot agree with this. The right thing to do was to choose someone better in the Democratic Primary election, like Tulsi or maybe Bernie. Shotgun Joe? HEYELL, NO. I knew that guy was bad news years ago, like Hillary; at least Tulsi or Bernie would've been honest and made some sort of serious effort to move the country into an actually better place, for the people, not just for the Big Donors. I still haven't figured out why Democrat voters went for Shotgun Joe in the Primary when there were better choices. Now look where it's getting us.

Not going to disagree with you since you’re making the same arguments I made last year. We are where we are. Bad choice all around. Now we have to recognize that we need to fight to preserve all our rights and not accept what biden, bloomie and the rest of the neoliberals want.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I knew Biden was an anti, and I supported him Becuase it was the only chance against full throated authoritarianism. If the Orange fool king was in there another 4 years he might never have left office, or somehow tried to force loyalty tests on the military. Our republic is in deep trouble as it is after 4 years of blatant lies, grift, & white supremacy ascendant by a hateful minority of white grievance voters.

The choice between that or fighting to keep pistol braces on ARs, & the rights of others to buy 80% lowers, I’ll take it. These EOs are anemic compared to what DiFi wants for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowboyT wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 pm

Your solution, though, required a DeLorean with a flux capacitor and a magic wand. I didn't have either on voting day.

cooper wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm Also, lots of folks will say, "I didn't think Biden would be so anti-2A." I'm not one of those. This board has all my posts where I supported him. I expected him to do this. I voted for him anyway because Tr*mp. I would do it again.
Agreed. Remember, TFG is even MORE anti-gun than Biden--unless you're a traitorous neo-nazi White supremacy misogynist. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

He's also anti-voting rights, anti- free speech, free press, the whole bill of rights. etc. He's even anti the 20th amendment (moving the inauguration to Jan 20) and the 22nd (2 term Presidential limit). Plus, TFG doesn't recognize ANY law having the right to limit him, only his "enemies"...and everyone is an enemy whom he cannot control. In "Shogun", Torinaga demands that, as a test of loyalty, his son put his children to death, and the son, though horrified, reluctantly goes to obey. But, unlike Trump, Torinaga has made sure the children are safe, saying foul times require foul tests. Trump wouldn't protect the children.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 pm Remember, TFG is even MORE anti-gun than Biden--unless you're a traitorous neo-nazi White supremacy misogynist.

I'd agree with that, he's a New Yorker through and through and gave lip-service to 2A but anti-gun. During his first two years in office, TFG had many opportunities to get gun some friendly bills through congress and sign them into law but he didn't.