Re: Indianapolis here!

Welcome from Lexington.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:41 am
lesleyharrell742 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am Manager of worktime.com]worktime company
so sneaky, 2 days later, edit in your link for productivity monitoring software.
I suggested he was a troll 4 days ago. Single post? No details about what he/she shoots, or wants to? No mention of us being a LIBERAL gun club? It all stinks of troll sweat.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

These guys are not bots, I think they’re dedicated spammers from an English-speaking third world country working for an “SEO optimization” business. It’s their day job. Probably working nextdoor to a tech support scam outfit. Our forum is particularly of interest because we want to be newbie-friendly, and we don’t prevent the use of URL to newbies. Other forums often block URL’s before a certain postcount.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

look through the member list. start from the bottom, giving especial scrutiny to those with 1 or 2 or 3 posts. there are a lot of them. good, now you have a list of potential candidates. now, read their posts. it's not so bad, only one or two each, remember? most of them just popped in, registered, made an innocuous post, then just lost interest. but some of them are spammers. try not to be overzealous, because some of them, while obviously spam, are relevant to the topic. go back through at least two months, because they'll do that. good, now, in a day or so, do it again. try not to let your eyes glaze over from the inanity and monotony.

we have 1(!) special case who frets me on insomniac nights, over a dozen posts but they fit the profile, nothing particularly relevant or meaningful, no personal detail, no relation of experience with guns or liberalism, but as yet, no spam. wtf. and then, it dawned on me. maybe he's going for the big score, 20 or 30 links dropped all at once in old posts nobody looks at anymore. quick, notify sponsors, cash the checks, move on the the next victim. and you think i'm paranoid. :)
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

It never fails to amaze and depress me just how many people are employed around the globally by businesses whose SOLE business is to rip suckers off. I get several emails a week with rip-off schemes, faked logos, plus multiple phone calls a day with warnings for extended car warranties, fake credit cards, "Congratulations!...", fake police and fireman benevolent funds. No matter how many numbers and emails get blocked, there are always more.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Local sheriff's office notes prominently in their mail donation solicitations that they never, ever solicit by phone. Weird, since someone claiming to be them called me a couple days earlier.

Color me surprised on this one. Glock 19 is pretty basic, but so are pumpkin spice and universal health care.

Sometimes I enjoy leading them on and wasting their time. I actually traded emails with one kid from Nigeria who had at first pretended to be a young woman "interested in an older man". Yawn. When he finally realized that I was just playing with him he came clean and we exchanged some friendly messages. On the one hand it really annoys me, on the other, as he pointed out, there are so many desperate people out there who'll try anything to earn some money.

DavidS wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:13 am Sometimes I enjoy leading them on and wasting their time. I actually traded emails with one kid from Nigeria who had at first pretended to be a young woman "interested in an older man". Yawn. When he finally realized that I was just playing with him he came clean and we exchanged some friendly messages. On the one hand it really annoys me, on the other, as he pointed out, there are so many desperate people out there who'll try anything to earn some money.
I've had a similar experience.

Among other things, I'm the administrator of the phone system where I work; as an experiment, I set up a phone line using a number which had been unused for at least ten years - it took less than 15 minutes for the first spam / scam call to arrive!

I would ask them "Why do you shame your family by working for thieves?" - this got a lot of immediate hang-ups, some (presumed) cursing in non-English dialects, and one guy who simply (and somewhat sadly) said "I have to support my family."
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

mods got it. members can't delete posts if there's a post after it.

it's appropriate to be welcoming, we don't want to drive new people away.

we have to wait for them to post actual spam. doesn't mean we can't hint at suspicion in secret code
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:39 pm
DavidS wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:13 am earn some money.
key word, "earn". in some places there is a scarcity of economic opportunity, no doubt due in part to concentration of wealth by a few individuals and corporate entities.
"Earn" is not the same as "get" money. "Earn" means a conversion of labor into either goods or services of value, or aids in that conversion (such as critical overhead staff). And since money is a commonly accepted proxy for those goods and services, seeking ways to get money without creating something of value, means one is nothing but a parasite.