Around the BBQ

Back before Covid-19 I was at a BBQ where most of the folk were somewhat (a few decades) past college age and all shooters. The subject of carry guns came up and almost all carried some type of Glock and that led to the usual caliber wars where the 40S&W folk mocked the 9mmPara folk until the 45acp and 10mm folk pointed out the general worthlessness of all those wimpy calibers.

I just kind sat there and concentrated on the spare rubs.

Since I'm just about always the designated Old Fart someone finally suggested that I probably carried a Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum.

I pulled out the little FN 1906 25acp that is almost always in my pocket regardless of what else I might be carrying to the total derision of all and sundry.

my 1906 FN Browning 6.35 most likely made in 1913.
my 1906 FN Browning 6.35 most likely made in 1913.

The tiny little thing got lots of laughs and lots of suggestions that I never load it since all it would do was make a real man angry.

Yet it was the only handgun that was actually there that night and I pointed out that such guns were not banned from importation back in 1967 because they were unreliable, poorly made and ineffective or because they only made folk angry.

The ribs were enjoyed; both kinds.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Re: Around the BBQ

RFK was killed with an Iver-Johnson .22.
Ronald Reagan was nearly killed with a .22, and three others, including James Brady, were badly injured.
The Virginia Tech shooter killed 32 plus himself with a Glock 19 in 9mm and a Walther in .22.

A bullet hole will kill. Many snipers in wars use .22 rifles.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I used to have a “Jennings” .22 LR. It was effectively a single shot as it would not reliably cycle. I’d prefer a .25acp for the reliability of the centerfire cartridge. I eventually settled on .380 for “pocket pistols” but even those I rarely carry.

It’s been a long journey...

I EDC a J-Frame air weight and find it actually comfortable to carry and effective. Perfectly light enough to run with, yet still able to have 5 yard accuracy. About the smallest gun that I find to be reasonably effective.

If I feel the need to carry a heavier or more capacity pistol the J- Frame provides excellent duty as a BUG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent some time recently down a rabbithole involving rifles and hunting, neither of which is really my schtick. Point was made at length about ethical hunting, about the difference between fast kills and slow kills. How a certain class of bullet, calibrated appropriately to prey, would induce shock and unconsciousness so that the animal would bleed out before it came to. Saw parallels to the arguments about lethality vs. "stopping" power in handgun circles.

Tangent - been a long time since I took physics, but shouldn't stopping power literally be related to the rate of bullet deceleration?

Original point being, the lethality of small-caliber firearms really isn't in doubt. The debate is really about whether or not a weapon will quickly incapacitate the target. In an Old West showdown, large calibers do well because they're more likely to do that. In real life? Sig wins the BBQ gunfight - he brought a gun. No one else did.

But Lurker has the right of it. :)

lurker wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:30 pm i see people saying things about guns but i disbelieve, because no pics.
I'm no longer a person of any faith but since it's still fairly close to Easter perhaps folks need to say "behold my hand[guns] and side[arms]". (with pics of course)

(snarky reference to John 20:27)

Mostly, and apologies if this offends, I feel like the loudest voices in any debate regarding “stopping power”, “best” caliber, “most lethal” shot size, etc. are just looking to justify whatever choice they made in each of those areas. As for me, once I start getting shot at I stop asking questions about caliber and velocity and start running the other way. As they say, the 25 in your pocket is better than the 45 left at home.

like i said just before i bought my EDC pepper spray, i'm too old to get into fist-fights with teenagers. i don't necessarily want to kill or even incapacitate them (or them, me), just make them go away.
Last edited by lurker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

PerfectTommy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:22 pm D8F06696-B8A5-447F-A1DE-770DDD82E56F.jpeg
My 1908 Colt Vest Pocket .25, 1917 vintage. 5 quick shots at 5 yards. Not a bad little piece at all.

Carried it for a while when I wanted something truly inconspicuous, but retired it on its centennial for a Sig 238.
Mine is from 1919 and while it still shows some of the fire bluing it also shows some scaring. Internally though it's like new and with new springs and firing pin.
showing some scrapes and scuffs but in better shape than I
showing some scrapes and scuffs but in better shape than I
jim

Wouldn't hot sauce be more appropriate to this thread? Who doesn't love multipurpose tools?

The debates are only partially about justifying preferences and decisions. They're also an excuse to talk about guns in detail with people who might share an appreciation. Deeply inappropriate for a forum like this one, I know.

So, Carolina? Texas? Mississippi? Who's got the best BBQ? Go!

wings wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:32 am Wouldn't hot sauce be more appropriate to this thread? Who doesn't love multipurpose tools?

The debates are only partially about justifying preferences and decisions. They're also an excuse to talk about guns in detail with people who might share an appreciation. Deeply inappropriate for a forum like this one, I know.

East Carolina BBQ.
jim

wings wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:32 am Wouldn't hot sauce be more appropriate to this thread? Who doesn't love multipurpose tools?

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good discussion about what people carry and why they love it. I just start to roll my eyes when the conversation turns to a “9mm isn’t powerful enough but a 40s&w is” sort of thing with dudes whipping out their ballistics charts...metaphor intended.

And the best bbq I ever had was in Charleston SC

sig230 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 pm Back before Covid-19 I was at a BBQ where most of the folk were somewhat (a few decades) past college age and all shooters. The subject of carry guns came up and almost all carried some type of Glock and that led to the usual caliber wars where the 40S&W folk mocked the 9mmPara folk until the 45acp and 10mm folk pointed out the general worthlessness of all those wimpy calibers.

I just kind sat there and concentrated on the spare rubs.

Since I'm just about always the designated Old Fart someone finally suggested that I probably carried a Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum.

I pulled out the little FN 1906 25acp that is almost always in my pocket regardless of what else I might be carrying to the total derision of all and sundry.

1906-03 small.jpg

The tiny little thing got lots of laughs and lots of suggestions that I never load it since all it would do was make a real man angry.

Yet it was the only handgun that was actually there that night and I pointed out that such guns were not banned from importation back in 1967 because they were unreliable, poorly made and ineffective or because they only made folk angry.

The ribs were enjoyed; both kinds.
Far better than those that stayed in the other guys and gals dresser.

Nothing wrong with gun discussions and BBQ, here or at a BBQ. I do subscribe to the idea there is not much point to a carry gun if you won't carry it. To some size matters, in that if it's smaller it's like to be carried. That is definitely a plus and fulfills the intent.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

No pics to add, but I'd love a .32 or .380 in the size of a Shield or P365 for carry. Alas, the roster and lack of manufacturing interest. My LCP would be a nice shooter in .32. My shield would be wonderful in .380. I have a Ruger LC380 that would be wonderful but it's DA looooong trigger isn't the greatest. But damn is it a soft shooting gun.