Winchester Model 94 Trapper

I bought this from the widower of my old friend who sold me his old Husqvarna. I posted about it couple years ago.

So the lady and I keep in touch. Ole Jim was a story teller and I would go over, have coffee and listen to his stories about growing up out west. He was a dam builder, a miner and a logger. One of those old rough guys.

So she offers me his Winchester Model 1903 .22 he bought as a kid for 700 bucks. I said no, thats worth at least $1200 in todays market and I cannot afford it right now. But I'd really like that model 94. How much I asked. She went up to her puter and came back and said $500 bucks. I had $523 dollars on me. I said SOLD!. This was my 2020 Christmas present to self. She then charged me 10 bucks for almost two boxes of ammo.

I was really in the market for a lever gun in .357 mag to go with my Blackhawk. But then back orders and price jumps put it out of my reach. I used to have two other Winchesters in 30-30, a regular ole model 94 and a Centennial model with an Octagonal barrel.
I suppose I will get used to 30-30 again. It's a great cartridge for close encounters.

Bought her some leather too. Whats a lever gun without a shoulder sling? Naked is what.

Oh yeah, I was reading an article online where the author said Winchester never really called the 94 with the ring a "Trapper" and that it was a nick name. I gots news for him. See box.
Last edited by tonguengroover on Thu May 06, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”
Attachments
Trapper carbine 3.jpg
trapper carbine 2.jpg
Trapper carbine 1.jpg

Re: Winchester Model 94 Trapper

Me too. I was jonesing for another lever gun. She was born in 79' 80'. I heard there were some issues in manufacturing back then. But I don't care. Ole Jim had multiple safe queens. This one shot only 4 times. Great brush guns.

I'm also an old Chuck Connors fan. Saw him in Old Tucson when I was like 8 years old and he signed my toy rifle that was a copy of his with the large loop. I'm kinda in lever gun heaven. I got the lever that came with it.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

NegativeApproach wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:35 pm That's a gorgeous gun.

I'd love a modern polymer lever action in a regular caliber (44 mag/357) with rails...
Me too, And that was what I was gaming for. But I didn't want to wait a year or pony up three times what they were originally. So which would you choose> Rossi, Winchester, Marlin or Henry?

I settled for this one in 30-30 and kinda glad I did. Sure having a lever gun caliber match your wheel gun would be just so much fun. But a .357 will never match a 30-30 in take down power.
Problem with 30-30 ammo is that it is not manufactured in huge quantity like say your .556. So it is harder to come by these days as the ammo people seem to be concentrating on more popular ammo. And .357 mag isn't cheap. But I do like the ballistics of it out of a rifle. You certainly wouldn't be able to take out a muley with a .357.

Nice acquisition. I'd take 30-30 over 5.56 any day.

I think if you're looking for tactical lever guns, your only options right now are Henry and Rossi, and with Rossi it's more of an appearance package. Marlin dipped a toe in that market just before the Remington breakup, but the Remington years were hard on Marlin's reputation for QC. Might be worth looking at 'em once Ruger gets them set back up again. I hear most of the other assets went to an investment group run by hunters, looking to rebuild the Remington brand, so Ruger had to pack up all of Marlin's machines and move 'em off site.

I looked hard at a tactical black Rossi in .44 earlier in the year. Harder at a .45 carbine. Prices were stupid. But guns in 30-30 have been unobtanium.

Beautiful Trapper.
The ‘94 in 30-30 is possibly the most versatile rifle in the lower 49.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Winchester Model 94 Trapper

tonguengroover wrote:
NegativeApproach wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:35 pm That's a gorgeous gun.

I'd love a modern polymer lever action in a regular caliber (44 mag/357) with rails...
Me too, And that was what I was gaming for. But I didn't want to wait a year or pony up three times what they were originally. So which would you choose> Rossi, Winchester, Marlin or Henry?

I settled for this one in 30-30 and kinda glad I did. Sure having a lever gun caliber match your wheel gun would be just so much fun. But a .357 will never match a 30-30 in take down power.
Problem with 30-30 ammo is that it is not manufactured in huge quantity like say your .556. So it is harder to come by these days as the ammo people seem to be concentrating on more popular ammo. And .357 mag isn't cheap. But I do like the ballistics of it out of a rifle. You certainly wouldn't be able to take out a muley with a .357.
Great trapper - I love it. 30-30, while a great, eastern deer cartridge has limited use for us Ohioans. I’ll probably get one eventually though. Cant hunt with a PCC In Ohio. unless it’s a “straight wall cartridge.” That’s why I’ve settled on .357 & .45 colts. I toyed with the idea of a .450 bush master or .350 legend - but something just feels right about toting a levergun in the woods.

That being said - the Henry’s aren’t too much more than they were pre corona. I think I paid a $50 premium over the pre corona price for my X model. So I think a good buy. Not the insanity like a .45 colt Blackhawk Bisely that went from $700 to $1200 ... I’m going to wait on that one. The x model is lighter than the wood and steel .357 - so for my money a better gun to tote, if not as good looking.

If I decide to deer hunt this fall I’ll work up an XTP load. I’ve found that to be excellent in the .357 version. (To be fair - I’ve only shot raccoons & possums with it, as I did not deer hunt last year.)

Bottom line - lever guns are just all around fun to shoot. I feel almost obligated to have ARs in my safe because of the constant threat of legislation. Lever guns I have Becuase I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the supply chains, but Vance has had the best, most consistent line on guns and ammo through the past 6 months of anywhere I track. Now, there's a regional big-box that can get hands on Ruger revolvers that Vance never picks up on, but vice-versa. Vance can get you a a GP-100 or SP-101, a J-frame, Taurus, or a Heritage .22 - ok, everyone can get you a Heritage .22 - but if you want an Alaskan in .44 or LCRx, try Dunhams Shooting Sports Warehouse.

Heritage and Taurus are at pre-pandemic prices. Rugers, are you kidding?

But Henry, oh dear. They have Henry. Stopped internet sales around the 4th last year and never looked back, but if you're in Ohio, Vance is the place.