Good Samaritan allegedly shot by LEO in Colorado

Good Samaritan who died in Arvada shooting was shot by police, according to sources
DENVER – The Good Samaritan who died in Monday’s shooting in Olde Town Arvada was shot and killed by a police bullet, Denver7 Chief Investigator Tony Kovaleski has confirmed through three informed, ranking sources — including two law enforcement sources.

Arvada Police Officer Gordon Beesley, Good Samaritan John Hurley, and the man believed to be the suspect in the original shooting, 59-year-old Ronald Troyke, all died in the shooting, but Arvada police have not said who was shot by whom.

In a statement Tuesday afternoon, the Arvada Police Department said it would not confirm that Hurley was shot by an officer. They did confirm earlier in the afternoon that Troyke left a threatening note for officers.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Good Samaritan allegedly shot by LEO in Colorado

ill Troyanos was working his normal shift at the Army Navy Surplus Store in Olde Town Arvada on Monday when he heard a pop. Then another. And another.

He moved to the door, peered outside, and saw a gunman across the town plaza.

Then a customer, a 40-year-old man he’d never met, put his hand on his hip, drew a pistol and quickly rushed toward the plaza, Troyanos said.

Standing in the doorway, Troyanos, a former chef, watched as the stranger — identified by police and family as Johnny Hurley — used a brick wall on the corner of the Arvada library as cover.

“When the gunman came back toward the plaza, that’s when Hurley opened fire on him,” Troyanos told The Denver Post on Wednesday. “I did see him shoot the gunman.”

With people in the store yelling for him to lock the door and take cover, Troyanos moved away from the horrific scene, never seeing how the man now being cast as a hero took his fatal blow.

“I would like to know how Hurley got shot,” Troyanos said, adding that he later saw Hurley being carried away on a stretcher.

It’s a question Hurley’s family and friends are still asking two days later, as they celebrate the life of an individual who they described as a true freethinker, an iconoclast and an idealist who challenged assumptions and conventional wisdom — a man who could debate without ruining friendships, and cook up a mean meal from just about anything.

Police have released scant information on Monday’s shooting, which occurred in broad daylight and left three people dead, including Hurley, a veteran police officer and the gunman. Troyanos’ account is the first to shed light on how a man shopping for outdoor gear might have saved innocent lives since authorities have not yet said how Hurley died, how he intervened or how the gunman was killed.
Arvada officers do not wear body cameras. Arvada officials, on the city website, said the department has “begun (the) process” to institute body cameras, which will be mandated before 2023, as a result of the sweeping 2020 police accountability law signed by Gov. Jared Polis in response to the George Floyd protests.

What struck Troyanos was how decisively Hurley acted in the face of an armed man in the middle of a public square.

“It was definitely a selfless act,” he said.
https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/23/j ... town-hero/

Cops are trained to shoot at anyone with a gun, tragically that caused the death of someone who came to the aid of one of their fellow officers. Two years in a row the only NYPD cops killed while on duty were killed by friendly fire.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:36 am
ill Troyanos was working his normal shift at the Army Navy Surplus Store in Olde Town Arvada on Monday when he heard a pop. Then another. And another.

He moved to the door, peered outside, and saw a gunman across the town plaza.

Then a customer, a 40-year-old man he’d never met, put his hand on his hip, drew a pistol and quickly rushed toward the plaza, Troyanos said.

Standing in the doorway, Troyanos, a former chef, watched as the stranger — identified by police and family as Johnny Hurley — used a brick wall on the corner of the Arvada library as cover.

“When the gunman came back toward the plaza, that’s when Hurley opened fire on him,” Troyanos told The Denver Post on Wednesday. “I did see him shoot the gunman.”

With people in the store yelling for him to lock the door and take cover, Troyanos moved away from the horrific scene, never seeing how the man now being cast as a hero took his fatal blow.

“I would like to know how Hurley got shot,” Troyanos said, adding that he later saw Hurley being carried away on a stretcher.

It’s a question Hurley’s family and friends are still asking two days later, as they celebrate the life of an individual who they described as a true freethinker, an iconoclast and an idealist who challenged assumptions and conventional wisdom — a man who could debate without ruining friendships, and cook up a mean meal from just about anything.

Police have released scant information on Monday’s shooting, which occurred in broad daylight and left three people dead, including Hurley, a veteran police officer and the gunman. Troyanos’ account is the first to shed light on how a man shopping for outdoor gear might have saved innocent lives since authorities have not yet said how Hurley died, how he intervened or how the gunman was killed.
Arvada officers do not wear body cameras. Arvada officials, on the city website, said the department has “begun (the) process” to institute body cameras, which will be mandated before 2023, as a result of the sweeping 2020 police accountability law signed by Gov. Jared Polis in response to the George Floyd protests.

What struck Troyanos was how decisively Hurley acted in the face of an armed man in the middle of a public square.

“It was definitely a selfless act,” he said.
https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/23/j ... town-hero/

Cops are trained to shoot at anyone with a gun, tragically that caused the death of someone who came to the aid of one of their fellow officers. Two years in a row the only NYPD cops killed while on duty were killed by friendly fire.
Back during the Gabby Gifford shooting..some guy with a CCWP came to the scene, gun out and was 'almost' shot by LEO.
In Arvada, LEO come up, see 2 down, one a cop, guy with a gun...too bad but.....Why I think me and mine being threatened=gun out..not, not going to run toward shots fired, as it sounds like Hurley did.

IMHO.

The temptation to draw your weapon and stop the murder if your involved in an active shooter situation would be tough to ignore while people are getting slaughtered.
I'd say find a cubby hole and have your weapon ready in case the perp walks by. But then you better put it down if you kill the perp. Course there could be two.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Something for law enforcement to ponder, if no one will come to their aid for fear of being shot or stabbed or...then they are on their own. I agree Hurley got far more involved than I would have and he paid a price. Reminds me of the case of Richard Black of Aurora, CO who had just saved his grandson from a druggy who was beating him and was shot and killed by a cop. The cop wasn't charged.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DJD100 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:25 am
wings wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 am This. How many 'self defense' classes focus on winning a gunfight with an active shooter, but leave out the bit about surviving the first responders?
^^^This!^^^

Sad...
My carry license instructor, essentially said it was better to be a good witness. He noted that if police are already there they won’t know who is who. Strong hint to not get involved.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Wino wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:01 am Then there was the WalMart good Samaritan who took on a male shooter only to be killed by the female perp second shooter. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
It’s tough to know exactly what is going on and who is involved. Seek escape and protect yourself as last resort if cornered. You’re not law enforcement is another phrase my carry instructor noted.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:15 am Exactly, law enforcement run into dangerous situations we run the other way.
This is actually an important point to make about culture. Police actually rely on this belief to help make their job easier. And it is rather uniquely American to not follow this truism.

A Good Samaritan in any other culture is one who helps to stop the bleeding after the gunfire ceases. I don’t know of any other functioning society where the citizens get off on the idea that they can “help the police to stop the bad guy” without doing the hard work and actually take on the difficult responsibilities of policing; a sort of “stolen valor” syndrome in my opinion.

Generalizations to be sure but when good people run from danger things just work better. Samaritans shot by friendly fire and mass shooters may be two sides of a coin IMHO. A perfect society has neither but the average functioning society has far less of both than America, and virtually no Samaritans shot by police.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:57 am
DJD100 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:25 am
wings wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 am This. How many 'self defense' classes focus on winning a gunfight with an active shooter, but leave out the bit about surviving the first responders?
^^^This!^^^

Sad...
My carry license instructor, essentially said it was better to be a good witness. He noted that if police are already there they won’t know who is who. Strong hint to not get involved.
Same with my CHL instructor. He even gave a scenario where you see a person running away from two people with guns in plainclothes. If you intervene you just might get shot by undercover cops during a drug bust.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:07 am
Wino wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:01 am Then there was the WalMart good Samaritan who took on a male shooter only to be killed by the female perp second shooter. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
It’s tough to know exactly what is going on and who is involved. Seek escape and protect yourself as last resort if cornered. You’re not law enforcement is another phrase my carry instructor noted.
Thanks for this.