Chicago rapper shot ~64 times upon bonding out of Cook County Jail

Local rapper who had ‘just been released’ from Cook County Jail suffered as many as 64 bullet wounds in fatal shooting across the street from jail, police say
Fifty-nine shell casings littered the 2700 block of West 27th Street in Little Village — across the street from the jail — around 8:50 p.m. The 31-year-old man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:25 p.m., according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

A police report identified the man, known locally as a rapper, as Londre Sylvester, though the medical examiner’s office said it had not notified next of kin of his death Sunday. The police report said Sylvester suffered as many as 64 bullet wounds to his head and other parts of his body, however a full autopsy report detailing his injuries won’t be released for weeks.
Late last month, prosecutors hit Sylvester with a petition for violation of bail bond for violating the conditions of his release in a 2020 felony gun case.
Rapper shot 64 times moments after being released from jail, Chicago police say
Londre Sylvester, a Chicago rapper who goes by the name “KTS Dre,” was killed by a barrage of bullets just moments after he was released from jail Sunday, police told local news outlets.
The 31-year-old rapper was pronounced dead at Mt. Sinai Hospital around 9 p.m., according to CWB.

The letters “KTS” in Sylvester’s stage name stand for “kill to survive,” CWB reported, which he had tattooed on his neck along with a target design.

Re: Chicago rapper shot ~64 times upon bonding out of Cook County Jail

The likely suspects were from a rival gang one of who's members this guy punched and "punked" last year, and it sounds like 2-4 shooters. It's the inevitable fallout of gangs without leadership. The BDs (originally Black Gangster Disciples, now Black Disciples) and GDs (Gangster Disciples) have been fractured since the older leadership got RICO'd and put into prison, leaving a lot of the young gang members without any checks and balances, and in an increasingly volatile mix of petty street squabbles that get out of control. The 90s were the first wave of this, and this is the latest wave of that senseless violence.

Ultimately, this is one of those situations where the root causes are being ignored, and a lot of young men and bystanders are paying the price. The guy who was killed was no saint, but a brazen execution like this is not exactly normal either.

NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:37 am The likely suspects were from a rival gang one of who's members this guy punched and "punked" last year, and it sounds like 2-4 shooters. It's the inevitable fallout of gangs without leadership. The BDs (originally Black Gangster Disciples, now Black Disciples) and GDs (Gangster Disciples) have been fractured since the older leadership got RICO'd and put into prison, leaving a lot of the young gang members without any checks and balances, and in an increasingly volatile mix of petty street squabbles that get out of control. The 90s were the first wave of this, and this is the latest wave of that senseless violence.

Ultimately, this is one of those situations where the root causes are being ignored, and a lot of young men and bystanders are paying the price. The guy who was killed was no saint, but a brazen execution like this is not exactly normal either.

Thanks for the background NA. So the feds took down the top leadership and what has the state, county and city done with the rest of these criminal organizations. Like the old law enforcement attitude towards the mafia, as long as they were killing each other they didn't care.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:02 pm
NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:37 am The likely suspects were from a rival gang one of who's members this guy punched and "punked" last year, and it sounds like 2-4 shooters. It's the inevitable fallout of gangs without leadership. The BDs (originally Black Gangster Disciples, now Black Disciples) and GDs (Gangster Disciples) have been fractured since the older leadership got RICO'd and put into prison, leaving a lot of the young gang members without any checks and balances, and in an increasingly volatile mix of petty street squabbles that get out of control. The 90s were the first wave of this, and this is the latest wave of that senseless violence.

Thanks for the background NA. So the feds took down the top leadership and what has the state, county and city done with the rest of these criminal organizations. Like the old law enforcement attitude towards the mafia, as long as they were killing each other they didn't care.
Basically, yes... I know the the majority of cops here don't care that young black and Latino men (and children) are murdering each other. The cops here have been on a soft strike since the Laquan McDonald killing by an officer in 2017 (or maybe it was 2016). They are essentially not trying to solve these murders and that is a huge part of for why things are getting out of hand. This killing took place right out in front of the county jail when the victim was being released after a year in jail on gun charges. Last I heard, no one was in custody on it. Which is mind-blowing. I have heard some conflicting reports on the length of time this guy was in jail with some people saying he was on instagram live in feb of this year, but that might have been done with a smuggled phone from the jail, I don't really know at this point.

The bottom line is that there is not enough is being done to address the root causes of this sort of violence. There are a few violence intervention task forces at work, but there are still really scant resources on the south and west sides, very few jobs, and a lot of systemic and generational poverty. Chicago drill rap is contributing to some of the squabbles and people getting killed over disses on raps. But that's also one of the only ways a lot of these kids and young men can get any money outside of drug dealing, so it's a really convoluted and complex problem. Most of the rappers here don't live to be 30, with this guy being 31 and seen as a much older guy, which might sound completely insane to people who don't see it up close. And it is. It's a really fucked up and insane situation. You see kids as young as 12 and 13 doing drive-bys and getting shot. You may have heard about the Adam Toledo shooting by an officer a few months ago. That was in the Little Village area of the city. He was 13.

There is some investment being done and the lawndale and Englewood neighborhoods are seeing some decrease in violence, but 63rd street is a hot spot for violence along with 47th street with a lot of the warring Latino gangs. On the West side Austin and West Garfield Park see a ton of violence as well. Since most of the gangs on the North side are gone, most white people here don't see the violence and don't experience this in the day to day outside of the rash of carjackings here, but I've always had friends on the south side and west sides from a very young age and grew up with people involved in this lifestyle. While I don't condone it, I do understand some of why it happens and the lack of opportunity and segregation is a huge part of why this occurs and will keep happening until those root causes are addressed. In some neighborhoods, I'd make an educated guess that 70-80% of people have PTSD. Some people there are burying friends and family every month. There's no easy fix and definitely no quick fix. In some cases, you're talking about families 4 generations deep in gang life at this point. This is a way of life for them. You don't fix that with bandaids and you can't ignore that it's a fabric of this city at this point. What I tend to see is a lot of platitudes and blaming people for the situations that they were born into.

In some neighborhoods, I'd make an educated guess that 70-80% of people have PTSD. Some people there are burying friends and family every month.
I agree NA.

I attended a lecture by this guy years ago.
One local expert says national data suggests one in three urban youth have mild to severe PTSD. “You could take anyone who is experiencing the symptoms of PTSD, and the things we are currently emphasizing in school will fall off their radar. Because frankly it does not matter in our biology if we don’t survive the walk home,” said Jeff Duncan-Andrade, Ph.D. of San Francisco State University.

Duncan-Andrade said doctors at Harvard’s School of Public Health have come up with a new diagnosis of complex PTSD, describing people who are repeatedly re-exposed to trauma, which Duncan-Andrade said, would include many inner-city youth.

In Oakland, about two-thirds of the murders last year were actually clustered in East Oakland, where 59 people were killed.
Even the slang nickname for the condition, “Hood Disease,” itself causes pain, and ignites debate among community leaders, as they say the term pejoratively refers to impoverished areas, and distances the research and medical community from the issue.

“People from afar call it ‘Hood Disease,’ – it’s what academics call it,” said Olis Simmons, CEO of Youth UpRising working in what she describes as the epicenter of the issue: East Oakland.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/ ... de-murder/

They're not like soldiers who eventually leave the war theatre, they live there there is not "end of tour".
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Some get out, but not many. Educational opportunities are usually poor, same with economic opportunities. Sports and academic scholarships get some out, but it's tought to get kids directed that way when dad is in jail and mom is working 3 jobs and you're dodging bullets and losing friends (there are obviously much worse family lives). The drug war tears these communities apart. The prison industrial complex keeps them torn up. Is it any wonder the young end up in violence? But I remain assured gun control is the way... For fucks sake.

Thanks, NegativeApproach, well said.

From my outsider position, I propose that at minimum two things need to happen for these situations...

a) Opportunity needs to be put back into the areas, i.e. reasonably decent paying manufacturing jobs and higher educational opportunities. This will take federal assistance most likely?

b) Penalties for violent felonies/gun crimes/gang participation etc need to be upped big time. This can happen at either level.

The Big Carrot along with a Big Stick approach, though you can't have one without the other for whatever period of time which it would take to get a meaningful turn-around etc?

In other words, reward non-violent behavior and eliminate those responsible for the violent behavior, gang participation, and illegal drug pushing etc.

Is it possible, not likely...

Legalize Crack and Heroin?

Rehabilitation instead of incarceration for violent felons, murderers, attempted murderers, or the kids who spray streets and malls with bullets without regard for innocents?

Sorry, IMO predators need to be eradicated regardless of their race and wealth status, while the rest of the non-violent criminals can be rehabilitated, and all need access to decent jobs, higher education, and the generational wealth builders to help them pick better choices for themselves etc.

I think most here would agree that drug treatment and rehabilitation programs are short in supply and long in need. There is the idea that taxes collected from the legal sale of the drugs which pose the problems would be used to offset the costs of these programs.

My new Ford truck came with a feature I did not quite understand until a deer crossed my path. The darn thing actually braked and stopped before both the deer and I suffered anything more than elevated heart rate.

I pay a road use tax called insurance to pay for things broken when fucking up isn't hard to do. Lives, like the truck, if not “totaled” can be rebuilt. They are however, never quite the same.

The deer went on about her business and take care of her young charge. I went on the the grocery store instead of the hospital.

There is enough crash test data available so as this experiment need not be repeated.
Getting old, or is it just me?

lurker wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:30 am

"live fast, die young, leave a good-looking corpse" - James dean?
Maybe James Dean, but I know it's in a Tom Waits song.

Mr Siegal lyrics:

I spent all my money in a mexican whorehouse,
Across the street from a catholic church,
And then I wiped off my revolver,
And I buttoned up my burgundy shirt,

I shot the morning in the back,
With my red wings on,
I told the sun he'd better go back down,
And if I can find a book of matches,
I'm goin' to burn this hotel down.

You got to tell me brave captain,
Why are the wicked so strong,
How do the angels get to sleep,
When the devil leaves the porchlight on.

Well I dropped thirty grand on the nugget slots,
I had to sell my ass on fremont street,
And the drummer said there's sanctuary,
Over at the Baghdad room,

And now it's one for the money, two for the show,
Three to get ready, and go man go,
I said tell me mr. siegel,
How do I get out of here.

Well willard's knocked out on a bottle of heat,
Drivin' dangerous curves across the dirty sheets,
He said man you ought to see her,
When her parents are gone,
Man you ought to hear her when the siren's on.

When the devil leaves the porchlight on.

Don't you know that ain't no broken bottle,
That I picked up in my headlights,
On the other side of the nevada line,
Where they live hard die young,
And have a good lookin' corpse every time,

Well the pit-boss said I should keep movin',
This is where you go when you die,
And so I shot a black beauty,
And I kissed her right between the eyes.

Well willard's knocked out on a bottle of heat,
Drivin' dangerous curves across the dirty sheets,
He said man you ought to see her,
When her parents are gone,
Man you ought to hear her when the siren's on.

When the devil leaves the porch light on.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Well it is Chicago, with a long history of mob violence. This shooting didn't happen on Valentine's Day. The city has been know for violence and racism for over 100 years. Start with the novel The Jungle by Upton Sinclair as a starting point. The names change and the minorities change but the story stays the same.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,