Holosun HS510C Rifle red dot sight--neophyte learning moment

Neophyte with a red dot sight. Scary idea, eh?

I just acquired one of these due to an auction on GunBroker, at well under MSRP (and a fair bit less than one of the local gun shops was asking for it). It arrived a few days ago, and I had opportunity to verify that it's zeroed for my Stag AR-platform today.

Happily, it only needed a couple clicks of the elevation adjustment to be close enough that any inaccuracies are user error. I don't expect to burn through enough ammunition to do half-dollar ten-shot groups any time soon, but using a bench rest, I'm getting holes in the target within a half-inch of my aiming spot at twenty-five yards.

I had no idea that the red dot sight would be so forgiving, though. I tried to find the cheek weld I was using with the iron sights (A2 carry handle rear, the usual post at the front), but discovered that I'm missing the reference of having that rear sight. I tried to use the front post sight as a partial co-witness, and realized that I don't even need to do that. If I hold the rifle so that my view through the RDS shows the dot and circle to the left of the front post, the hole in the paper is where the red dot was when I pulled the trigger.

If the dot and circle were to the right of the front post in my view, same thing.

I asked the RSO about it, and he told me that the thing is made so that if the sight glass is damaged, one can use the remaining areas of sight glass to aim the rifle. Since the dot and circle are projected onto the glass, I guess that may have some validity, but I'm not going to bet the ranch on it.

What I do think, however, is that the RDS will allow more rapid target acquisition if I'm ever in a hurry to put rounds down range, especially for my "well-used" eyes that are feeling the effects of age-related presbyopia.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: Holosun HS510C Rifle red dot sight--neophyte learning moment

Right, as long as you can see the red dot on the target, that’s where the shot should go. The position of your face isn’t relevant as long as you can still see the dot. Also, you can keep both eyes open. Imagine how great that is if you have to move through a building as you aim down sight — much better situational awareness.

The limitation on this freedom is its lack of magnification; once you add a magnifier, it will behave more like a prism scope with a smaller eye box and thus a more restricted head position.

I had a red dot on an AR many years ago. I'm planning on getting one for several of my guns, as soon as I can quit spending all my money on other gun stuff. Oh the slippery slope!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:51 am I had a red dot on an AR many years ago. I'm planning on getting one for several of my guns, as soon as I can quit spending all my money on other gun stuff. Oh the slippery slope!!!
I am heading face first down that slope. My new requirement for future hand gun purchases; Hammer fired, RMR ready, and Threaded barrel. Yeah, I fell down the suppressor slope too.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.