Range Etiquette question

Our favorite outdoor range is closed(fire ban) so me amy 2 sons go to a local indoor range. Last time there..a couple shooting what looks like some AR something..THEN...hauls out a 50BMG and bangs away..My son was in the next lane and that thing HURT. I was standing behind him and that hurt ME.

So, the ?..do ya think the 50BMG shooter should warn everybody to stand back? Should the range safety guy warn everybody? Should this caliber not be allowed(10 lanes, 25 yard max..pretty standard indoor range).
I donno..even a 223/556 is pretty painful when you are next to one.

Re: Range Etiquette question

This is all getting rather silly. I know many ranges have banned 50 bmg, and I don't blame them. I know many people enjoy a good thump on the shoulder, but the concussion of a super magnum retort is more than the body can take. Whether it's toxic masculinity or just plain foolishness--enough!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

CDFingers wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am When we teach gun safety and range etiquette starting about fifth grade or so, we rarely see these kinds of problems.

Oh.

CDFingers
Quoted for truth!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Check the range rules before going. It sounds like this range doesn’t have restrictions on what can be shot in their lanes. Talk to the manager as well, perhaps ask if they could limit where these large caliber guns can be shot.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Indoor ranges I've been to generally have posted prohibitions on types of firearms and calibers that can be shot, the people checking shooters in point to the sign to remind them. I find someone shooting a 357 in the next lane annoying enough. Usually concrete floors and walls, nothing to suppress the sound.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The indoor range I frequent is fairly modern, apparently, as it has a little bit more sound attenuation stuff applied to the walls between the stalls and to the first six or eight feet of range wall.

There is a prohibition on shot shells (any shotgun must be using slugs) at this range, so I hope they disallow .50 BMG. I know that when I bring a long gun, they ask me what caliber I'm shooting, but since my only current long gun is an AR-platform, I don't know what they'd say about something huge.

And, yeah, to the point made by CDFingers, despite that I wasn't allowed toy guns as a kid (since real guns are not toys, Mom didn't want there to be ANY conflation problems), I learned some firearm safety stuff in high school ROTC. I was glad that some of those lessons stayed with me--being a more stable shooting platform was good when I was shooting film instead of bullets (hobby photography), and the stuff I learned taking safety classes when I restarted shooting last year did nothing to contradict what I remembered (but added to what I remembered, which was the point of taking the instruction).
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Duuude. A .50bmg at an indoor rage? That’s getting close to a flash bang grenade going off in the room isn’t it?

Most them rifles have a muzzle device that redirects flash/energy to the sides and back. Standing in the next lane is the worst place to be concussion-wise (the shooter enjoys the most protection from the report).

But I’m surprised they allowed such a rifle at any indoor range. Is there any concern for not capturing all the energy into the berm material and damaging the back wall of the building?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Small update..I sent 2 messages to the range saying that I didn't think a 50BMG is a great idea..no answer back..maybe time to find a new range. This one is so close tho, not expensive, good in every other regard...Can't wait till the outdoor range opens back up..closed for fire danger..

lurker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am definitely time for a new range. what's next, claymores?
20 mm Vulcan cannons.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

As to etiquette I understand the appeal of allowing bigger calibers at your for profit range. It absolutely stinks when the closest range to you does not allow you to shoot your chosen firearm. And I've found that to be a frequent problem where I live.

That said I'd say fair is fair, someone shooting a 50 bmg should be required to rent out the stalls to the left and right of them, and wait for a less busy time if that is not available. If you can afford a 50 bmg and its ammo, then a 2 stall buffer is hardly an inconvenience.

One outdoor range fairly close to me has forbidden 50BMGs from their range because somebody shot one and the bullet land inside an RV at the Texas Motor Speedway. The range was held liable and settled out of court. They also don't allow steel core bullets. They say it tears up the berms.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

lurker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am definitely time for a new range. what's next, claymores?
Proper claymores are silent. So are dirks and sgian dubhs. :wink:

Last time I hit the rifle range, I had to double up even though the couple shooting were two lanes over and we were outdoors. I imagine .50 BMG with proper ear protection would be like .357 without any. I once experienced a .38 starter pistol at close range in an enclosed space. My ears rang for days.