Hello! Texan in Washington.

Hey y'all, Native Texan here, been living in Washington State a while. You can take the boy out of Texas, but...

Grew up shooting and waking up at the crack of dawn to go to the range with the old man; lost all interest pretty early, and once college started (Hook 'Em), I never really went shooting again. It just wasn't my thing, and traded guns for guitars.

Unfortunately, we lost dad on election day in 2020. I inherited his pickup truck and his Springfield Armory Saint. Like I said, you can take the boy out of Texas, but...

Whatever the reason, I find myself with renewed interest: maybe it's a way to remember the old man, maybe it's being tired of people's tired firearm narratives. I joined the LGC in February 2021 to resume my education around people of similar affiliation. I just got back from a road trip from Texas with the truck, having shipped "the item" (as I've been referring to it) as to not deal with the California Penal Code, yet comply with Washington State Initiative 1639... and now, posting for the first time here in the forum.

Thanks for having me and thanks for reading!

Re: Hello! Texan in Washington.

StandardTime wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:37 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:33 pm Howdy from Houston!
Hey there! Got tons of friends and family in Houston and the surrounding areas! Thanks for the welcome!
lurker wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:20 pm :welcome: from NC. what kind of truck?
A Sierra extended cab. Made good time and even better mileage through the desert and up the coast, too.
We have a nice contingent of the Texas Chapter in the Houston area. When y’all come for a visit let us know, we’ll put together a shoot meet.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

CDFingers wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:11 pm Welcome from California where we commonly ask, "Do you have the item?"

CDFingers
So you know exactly what I'm talking about. :)

Before I flew home, I started reading up on penal code violations, and thought, "Nope, I'll just ship the item."

I've been trying to keep up on Benitez's recent decision... that's heavy stuff.

StandardTime wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:23 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:11 pm Welcome from California where we commonly ask, "Do you have the item?"

CDFingers
So you know exactly what I'm talking about. :)

Before I flew home, I started reading up on penal code violations, and thought, "Nope, I'll just ship the item."

I've been trying to keep up on Benitez's recent decision... that's heavy stuff.
In my town, UPS has a stamp for that shit. But we're in the far north here, home of the State of Jefferson.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

wings wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:09 pm o/

Sounds very familiar. My own story differs in detail, but similar outline. The hassle of transporting or shipping my pops' old popper greatly exceeded my interest in it at the time. So mom's armed these days, and that's good. It's no Saint, but none of us ever were, really.
I actually lol'd. Thanks. :)

I put it in a Pelican and sent it out next day air. I was NOT gonna give some stikki fingaz an opportunity to mess with the item.

Same, my mom is well-stocked. Best not cross that lady.

StandardTime wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:37 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:33 pm Howdy from Houston!
Hey there! Got tons of friends and family in Houston and the surrounding areas! Thanks for the welcome!
lurker wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:20 pm :welcome: from NC. what kind of truck?
A Sierra extended cab. Made good time and even better mileage through the desert and up the coast, too.
Hi from NJ! I OBVIOUSLY spent time in North Carolina.

I have your truck's twin: 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 long bed. I love it! Best truck I've ever had...never thought I'd own a GM vehicle ever again (after a 1981 Citation I got rid of in 1990).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

FlyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:25 am Another Howdy from Houston!
I am going to assume that your not going to mount a rifle rack in the back window.
LOL

Uh, no. To be fair, I wouldn't have done that back home, either. The old man always said, "People don't need to know what you have."

Especially not in King County. Doesn't matter if I'm left-leaning, I don't think people would react too kindly to... *gestures widely*

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:58 amHi from NJ! I OBVIOUSLY spent time in North Carolina.

I have your truck's twin: 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 long bed. I love it! Best truck I've ever had...never thought I'd own a GM vehicle ever again (after a 1981 Citation I got rid of in 1990).
New Jersey has bred some of the nicest people I've ever met. Y'all are something else and I'm here for it.

I'll bet yours doesn't say "TEXAS EDITION" on it, though. I gotta keep these west coast folk in line.

StandardTime wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:10 am
FlyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:25 am Another Howdy from Houston!
I am going to assume that your not going to mount a rifle rack in the back window.
LOL

Uh, no. To be fair, I wouldn't have done that back home, either. The old man always said, "People don't need to know what you have."

Especially not in King County. Doesn't matter if I'm left-leaning, I don't think people would react too kindly to... *gestures widely*
King County, under 300 people! Y’all probably all knew each other. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

StandardTime wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:15 am
BearPaws wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:45 pm :welcome: from somewhere east of the Mississippi River!
Hey, thanks! Somewhere east, eh? SEC country.
You could say that, if by SEC you are referring to a sector of UCAA stuff. I'm about an hour's drive west of one of the famous SEC basketball programs, if I remember correctly (to me, a basketball is a dog toy--my folks used to have an Australian Shepherd whose favorite toy was a basketball, which proved beyond doubt that he was in Kentucky).
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.