Re: Glock TV Ads

That is one f-ed up commercial.

A woman can be confident if she can own a Glock? Yeah, right. Without regular training that Glock she is wearing will just as likely be wrestled away and used against her as anything. Do we see the woman in the commercial handle her Glock even once? Training with it at all? No she is enjoying her life and carrying the gun as a concealed accessory like another iPod.

I know of retired (women) LEO who will not carry a gun because they know guns so well from years on the force. Carrying a gun alone without constant and repeated training to keep up muscle memory is a liability. Period.

This commercial is complete and utter (irresponsible) BS. But not surprising in the least. Dovetails right in with America’s immature, fetishized notion of guns.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:59 am That is one f-ed up commercial.

A woman can be confident if she can own a Glock? Yeah, right. Without regular training that Glock she is wearing will just as likely be wrestled away and used against her as anything. Do we see the woman in the commercial handle her Glock even once? Training with it at all? No she is enjoying her life and carrying the gun as a concealed accessory like another iPod.

I know of retired (women) LEO who will not carry a gun because they know guns so well from years on the force. Carrying a gun alone without constant and repeated training to keep up muscle memory is a liability. Period.

This commercial is complete and utter (irresponsible) BS. But not surprising in the least. Dovetails right in with America’s immature, fetishized notion of guns.
Glock has aired ads previously that included training.

The only time I carry is when I go to the desert to shoot, and if I'm working a remote broadcast site.

When traveling, it is in the car/truck but not on me.

Never in a metro, too many things to go wrong.

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

Like so many advertisements these days I was left clueless about what was being marketed if I did not already know the general product.

It was not even sell the sizzle instead of the steak it was simply generic sizzle.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

A young woman who saddles her horse to ride, is an archer and we see her stretch and jog. Her jogging outfit was too tight to conceal anything and the ear plugs don't show preparedness or concern for safety. That's so bland they could show it in CA or NY but I doubt many TV stations would air it. And a scary evil Glock never makes an appearance.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:26 pm A young woman who saddles her horse to ride, is an archer and we see her stretch and jog. Her jogging outfit was too tight to conceal anything and the ear plugs don't show preparedness or concern for safety. That's so bland they could show it in CA or NY but I doubt many TV stations would air it. And a scary evil Glock never makes an appearance.
Yeah I think it was intentionally bland and not to show someone blasting away like some YouTube video we all watch. Wouldn't want to offend anyone.

But heck, she lives on a farm, c'mon. Everyone that lives on a farm can shoot. I kinda like the idea of the commercial showing a woman carrying. I think more women should. As far as saying women are more easily disarmed than a a man is biased thing to say. So in that thought women should not be able to defend themselves at all and just give themselves up to an attacker..... "oh please Mr. Bad guy don't hurt little ole me as I am a helpless woman." Ha
There is a lot of women I wouldn't dare try and mess with.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

sig230 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 pm Like so many advertisements these days I was left clueless about what was being marketed if I did not already know the general product.

It was not even sell the sizzle instead of the steak it was simply generic sizzle.
Marketing is about information..and appealing to their target audience. I'll bet many women know what a 'Glock' is, I'll bet many women, these days, are on the fence about whether or not to CCW..So, when they actually take that information(Glock) and research concealed carry(Glock), at the LGS..'Glock' will be on their mind. They won't ask about a 'Sig', they'lI ask about a Glock.
Think some are reading way too much into this little 30 second commercial.

How many times has somebody voted for somebody just because they saw their name on a campaign sign on somebody's lawn.

F4FEver wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 am
Think some are reading way too much into this little 30 second commercial.
Reason for my post wasn't about the woman but about actually seeing a gun ad on the TV which is like never seen on your regular TV channels. A balsy move for a gun manufacturer these days with all the anti-gun lobby out there.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Haven't knowingly seen any Glock ads on TV and I'm surprised one would run during a Colbert show. Maybe they could do a PSA on how to prevent Glock leg. LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:04 am Haven't knowingly seen any Glock ads on TV and I'm surprised one would run during a Colbert show. Maybe they could do a PSA on how to prevent Glock leg. LOL
That too!

You can't Glock leg yourself with a longbow. Okay, it takes some work though.

Didn't I just read somewhere that the role of TV advertising in selling firearms was essentially nil? I think that was a NSSF survey. OTOH, brand awareness is really important when complete neophytes start looking for their first [insert blank here]. All that matters is that the name triggers familiarity and positive associations. Then when they go to the store and are confronted by a multitude of unfamiliar options, the reptilian hindbrain grabs onto the first thing that looks safe.

They aren't selling to us. They're looking to catch those first-time sales.

It’s interesting that got the ad bought on national TV.
They really don’t have to show the gun everyone knows what a Glock is.
It’s the name recognition. Glock has the name recognition locked down.

When I bought my first handgun I told my sister who knows absolutely nothing about firearms. She asked me “Did you get a Glock? And it was. A Glock 19 Gen 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wings wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:22 pm You can't Glock leg yourself with a longbow. Okay, it takes some work though.

Didn't I just read somewhere that the role of TV advertising in selling firearms was essentially nil? I think that was a NSSF survey. OTOH, brand awareness is really important when complete neophytes start looking for their first [insert blank here]. All that matters is that the name triggers familiarity and positive associations. Then when they go to the store and are confronted by a multitude of unfamiliar options, the reptilian hindbrain grabs onto the first thing that looks safe.

They aren't selling to us. They're looking to catch those first-time sales.
Yes and all the libs out buying guns. I can wander into the huge Turners Outdoors here and spot a noob gun buyer all day long. Shot guns of all varieties are flying out the door cus you know, Biden. lol

Wino wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:04 am Haven't knowingly seen any Glock ads on TV and I'm surprised one would run during a Colbert show. Maybe they could do a PSA on how to prevent Glock leg. LOL
Guess it's time to show the video of the guy who shot himself in the leg...with some 1911..

wings wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 am I dreamed about buying a Glock last night. Damn it, marketing works. I have no interest in owning one. Why don't i dream about revolvers?

Saw something yesterday - fully half of all buyers since 2019 have been women. Rock on.
In its final analysis of FBI background checks, the National Shooting Sports Foundation estimated gun sales at about 21 million, a huge 34% jump over the previous record set in 2016, another year where politics helped to drive sales.
The group’s analysis said, “8.4 million people bought a firearm for the first time in 2020. That’s 40% of all purchases. This year’s buyer is increasingly diverse too. Forty percent of 2020’s buyers were women and the biggest increase of any demographic category was among African Americans, who bought guns at a rate of 58% greater than in 2019.”
Not sure how anybody knows that 8.4 million people bought a firearm for the first time in 2020. Probably a search of somebody's name..first time filling out a 4473 but no private organization has this info.

Wether someone is trained or not, the most likely result of pulling a gun is the other person breaks off the attack and leaves. In the vast majority of incidences the criminal does not take the gun away from the defendant.

https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/fil ... argets.pdf

I'm not good at cut and paste from a pdf but the question is addressed on page 14 of the report which is page 18 of the pdf. Interestingly they found many more instances of the victim disarming the attacker than the wrongly pushed idea of the criminal disarming the victim.

I understand the gun ad on prime time TV is a ballsy move by the gun manufacturer. I was involved with advertising in my past. But because the entire marketing industry is essentially antithetical to any discussion of morality, I felt it important to insert my strong opinion on marketing concealed handguns as a tool for defense.

I don’t agree that guns should be sold as self-defense tool without also emphasizing the need for self-defense training. And such training required to differentiate, identify, and actually hit a moving target or violent attacker (as opposed to accidentally shooting a bystander) is generally too much for most non-enthusiasts to even consider.

I’ve seen the home videos of women who fire blindly in the direction of robbers in their house to force them to flee. I’m frankly amazed other occupants of the house were not shot in the process. If loud noises and explosive flash is enough to scare away home intruders, maybe firecrackers can be marketed as home defense tools.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee writes-
I don’t agree that guns should be sold as self-defense tool without also emphasizing the need for self-defense training. And such training required to differentiate, identify, and actually hit a moving target or violent attacker (as opposed to accidentally shooting a bystander) is generally too much for most non-enthusiasts to even consider.
Haven't ever seen any ad for any defensive carry gun(or any gun) that 'emphasized the need for self defense training'...etc, etc.

Have you?
Last edited by F4FEver on Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

F4FEver wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:45 am
Haven't ever seen any ad for any defensive carry gun(or any gun) that 'emphasized the need for self defense training'...etc, etc.

Have you?
Nope

Speaking as an instructor, among other titles, I've never met a cop (and I used to train them) who knew enough about weapons to carry them, and it's probably more along the lines of recognizing what they don't know driving their decision not to carry. After a few years on the job, most of them are surprisingly accurate about exactly what they can and can't do successfully.

Don't ever think of a cop as a resource of any kind when it comes to weapons. Being a cop is an extremely complex job that actually has very little to do with firearms. They certainly don't know how to carry a weapon-- the majority of their training teaches them to break every safety rule. When a cop draws his or her weapon, they start breaking safety rules immediately.

The job is one percent firearms, five percent Impossible Demands and 108% Everything Else.