Pickup truck runs over 6 cyclists in Waller County, 4 people hospitalized

Gotta show off and do the Rollin' Coal.
WALLER, Texas - A group of Houston area cyclists are hospitalized after getting hit by a pickup truck in Waller County Saturday morning.

According the Waller County Sheriff, 6 cyclists were hit by the vehicle along old 290, roughly 2 miles west of Waller. In total, four of the cyclists had to be taken to area hospitals, including 2 by helicopter.

Pickup truck hits 6 cyclists in Waller County

On Saturday, six cyclists were hit by a pickup truck along old 290, roughly 2 miles west of Waller. In total, four of the cyclists had to be taken to area hospitals, including 2 by helicopter.

"I thought someone was dead," said Chase Ferrell. "I heard a lot of crunching. I heard brakes. Tires screeching. People screaming."

Ferrell had been riding with the cyclists as part of a training ride for IRONMAN Texas.

Roughly 75 miles into their training ride, Ferrell says a black diesel pickup truck slowed down near him and accelerated to blow smoke in his lane. Moments later, the pickup trick tried doing the same thing to other cyclists riding ahead of Ferrell.

"The reason he couldn’t stop is because he was accelerating to blow more diesel fuel on these cyclists," said Ferrell. "He ended up hitting 3 people before his brakes even started."

The driver of the pickup truck has been identified as a 16-year-old boy. According to Ferrell, the teen stayed at the scene and met with police after hitting the cyclists.

"There was no reason for this to happen," said Ferrell. "It wasn’t like he was on his phone. [He] definitely meant to try and scare these people [or] intimidate them in some way. [Maybe he then] made a mistake and ran them over."

As of Saturday evening, the driver of the pickup truck had not been arrested.

"Right now is prime time for cyclists and people for to be outside working out," said Ferrell. "Please, be careful."
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/picku ... spitalized

He was just having a little fun, that's all. :sarcasm:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Pickup truck runs over 6 cyclists in Waller County, 4 people hospitalized

The driver of the pickup truck has been identified as a 16-year-old boy. According to Ferrell, the teen stayed at the scene and met with police after hitting the cyclists.
As of Saturday evening, the driver of the pickup truck had not been arrested.
Two sides to every story. Hope his parents have plenty of insurance.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Tha fuckstick needs to be jail. If he wasn’t a fucking asshole driving a truck no sixteen year old should be behind the wheel of this wouldn’t have happened.

His obvious shit bird parents need to be accountable too - someone paid for that coal rolling douchemobile and it wasn’t a sixteen year old.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 pm Hey hey now. I drive a diesel truck and ride my old Peugeot 12 spd.

It's not the truck, it's the person. Uh, kinda like guns. geez. See how that works.
Also my truck uses bio fuel and gets better mileage than a V10 or even a larger V8. Plus I use mine for work.
I agree its the person behind the wheel. I can almost tell you the ones that are rolling coal. Their Trucks look like the should be in a monster truck rally wide tires sticking out about a foot pass the fenders, has one or two large megaphone exhaust pipe. Truck is jacked up at least one foot above factory specs. Many times has stickers on it for Trump and statements about don't take my guns, maybe a Rebel flag, or a love it or leave sticker. We can't forget the Truck Nuts from the trailer hitch. At least that is the typical Rolling Coal pickup in Texas.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

lurker wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm attempted murder more like.
But, he might use the “affluenza defense” as it was used before here in North Texas. He didn’t get off Scott free but got a lot less than had he been poor or a POC.

Mason wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:01 pm I have a diesel truck, too, THAT I USE TO HAUL HEAVY SHIT, not as a status symbol to confirm that I’m a dickless, insecure asshole.

Fucking up the planet and directly killing people for some twisted vanity. Fuck yeah, Murrica!
That's what they should be used for, hauling or towing heavy loads. The ones rolling coal a usually the ones that haul nothing more than an ice chest full of Coors, Lone Star, or Miller Lite when heading to a tailgate party or the lake.

Y'all do know that the Miller Brewery is in south Fort Worth and uses the Fort Worth Trinity River water that is collected downstream from the east Fort Worth Sewage Treatment plant. But don't worry the water dumped back into the river is 99% pure water. IT is just that one percent that makes the fermentation better and adds to the flavor of the beer. :thumbup:

Waller Police said the crash remains under investigation but on Monday morning said they had no updates on the incident, and did not confirm witness accounts. The office of Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis, in a Sunday statement, said it had not received the case. “This matter will be thoroughly reviewed and appropriate actions taken as soon as the investigation is completed and handed over to this office,” the statement read.

The lack of swift action, or even an arrest as the case is investigated, drew condemnation from bike riders online, many comparing it to assault with a deadly weapon. Others, tempering the online outrage, said there remains a need — particularly in Texas outside many urban areas — to recognize cyclists.

“We have a tradition of treating bicyclists as an invasive species on our roads, when they have every right to use the roads,” Cutrufo said.

That relationship has for years been fraught in Waller County. The mostly rural county is ideal turf to have training rides for events such as the MS 150 bicycle ride between Houston and Austin. Triathletes also plan rides in Waller County, where few intersections and mostly wide open highways offer lengthy stretches that mimic organized competitions that shut down streets.

That popularity, however, sometimes creates conflict with local officials and drivers. Waller County Sheriff’s Office and county constables in 2016 ticketed bike riders for riding three-abreast and not yielding or flowing into a single file line to let automobile and truck traffic through. Drivers have complained of weekend trips halted at their own driveways as a peloton of hundreds of riders passes by.

Cyclists meanwhile say it is common for Waller County drivers to harass and intimidate them by passing too closely, aggressively accelerating and slowing or even tossing objects from moving vehicles.

Since 2011, four cyclists have died and seven have been seriously injured in roadway crashes. In that same period, neighboring Washington County — also popular with distance riders — has reported zero deaths or severe injuries.
The popularity of the county as a riding site has led Waller County to have a slightly higher number of serious injuries and deaths for bicyclists than nearby counties. In Waller, 2.2 percent of the people seriously injured or killed in road crashes were cyclists, compared to 1.8 percent in neighboring Austin County, 1.3 percent in Liberty County and 0.8 percent in Chambers County.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 490562.php

No love lost there. I hope the sheriff's forensic team did a thorough job of collecting all the evidence.
Last edited by highdesert on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:18 pm
Y'all do know that the Miller Brewery is in south Fort Worth and uses the Fort Worth Trinity River water that is collected downstream from the east Fort Worth Sewage Treatment plant. But don't worry the water dumped back into the river is 99% pure water. IT is just that one percent that makes the fermentation better and adds to the flavor of the beer. :thumbup:
Years ago (1970s, I suppose), there was a local beer (Kentucky) called Drummond Brothers. It was a sub-brand from Falls City Beer, another local brand (and the company that made Billy Beer, named after Jimmy Carter's brother). I figured that Falls City was mostly water from the Ohio River, but filtered some, and Drummond Brothers had a little less filtering done. Never drank either one.

Fast forward to recent times, and a different outfit has revived the Falls City brand, and has a couple of okay beers (Streetlamp Porter and an English style ale named after the local club-league soccer team), along with an IPA dubbed "Hipster Repellant" that even I can't drink (I'm WAY too old to be a hipster).
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

And, as a life-long cyclist, and cycling educator for the last fourteen years, I have a deep personal loathing for anyone who would willfully threaten cyclists on the roadway, especially those whose "threats" reach the point of impact with a cyclist. That his hitting more than one caused injuries to several? I'd be sorely tempted to exact some biblical justice on him and let him experience what those injuries feel like first-hand.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

I rode the roads heavily for 7 years as a competitive triathlete. Only had 4 aggressive drivers and 2/4 were “rolling coal.” One was an old guy with cane that ran me off the road then started to get out of his car - yelling at me that it was “illegal for me to ride the road.” I just slammed the door on that fool.

I’m sure the rolling coal my dad & I got hit with in 2018 was a meth-Ed out, toothless woman screaming incoherent, obscenities from the passenger side at us a stop. I got over to the side, Un-clipped and prepared to draw. They sped off after they hit a motorcycle club with l rollin’coal” likely, accidentally. The MC pursued them … lol —- accidentally coming to our rescue. I’ve always carried either a .380 or a .38 airweight in jersey pocket with a pocket holster. Generally, they display some sort of angry/aggressive behavior before they attack with the vehicle. So I stop and ready myself. It takes a lot of discipline to hit the breaks & turn and face the great rather than just keep riding.

Most of my issues were distracted drivers - but ironically, with everyone using hands free that has improved - it was the Wild West 2012 - 2015.

Now I ride almost all trail & just for exercise. I don’t feel like being a tough guy with these ignorant hicks in rural, Ohio. I drive a 3/4 ton Truck as well; that I use to tow my camper, so I’m not sure I get the mentality. Idiots with energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my town it's the "privileged Lexus Ladies" who are the most dangerous. Rules are for everyone else, not them because THEY are special! When I've had a close call, it's them. Today, stepping out of Walgreens, one of them flew by, doing 25 or 30 in the parking lot, clipped the corner in front of me, and nearly hit me..
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 pm I rode the roads heavily for 7 years as a competitive triathlete. Only had 4 aggressive drivers and 2/4 were “rolling coal.” One was an old guy with cane that ran me off the road then started to get out of his car - yelling at me that it was “illegal for me to ride the road.” I just slammed the door on that fool.

I’m sure the rolling coal my dad & I got hit with in 2018 was a meth-Ed out, toothless woman screaming incoherent, obscenities from the passenger side at us a stop. I got over to the side, Un-clipped and prepared to draw. They sped off after they hit a motorcycle club with l rollin’coal” likely, accidentally. The MC pursued them … lol —- accidentally coming to our rescue. I’ve always carried either a .380 or a .38 airweight in jersey pocket with a pocket holster. Generally, they display some sort of angry/aggressive behavior before they attack with the vehicle. So I stop and ready myself. It takes a lot of discipline to hit the breaks & turn and face the great rather than just keep riding.

Most of my issues were distracted drivers - but ironically, with everyone using hands free that has improved - it was the Wild West 2012 - 2015.

Now I ride almost all trail & just for exercise. I don’t feel like being a tough guy with these ignorant hicks in rural, Ohio. I drive a 3/4 ton Truck as well; that I use to tow my camper, so I’m not sure I get the mentality. Idiots with energy.

And I thought I was the only one who carried a weapon while riding.

I was on the fence until an incident several months a when a group of thugs bumped a cyclist with their car, pulled over and beat the crap out of the cyclist on a highly used road going up a mountain that is very close to me.
I keep a close eye out on my side view mirror for cars approaching me. I see many other cyclists don't bother with one.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote:My truck has standard wheels and tires, no lifts.

Ya know what I hate since we're dissing vehicles and people who drive them is Prius/EV people going 10 miles under the speed limit in the fast lane blocking traffic.
I hate any one in any vehicle in the fast/passing lane that doesn’t know how to use it. Oh how I wish I had guns or missiles on my car…

Mandaliberal wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:04 pm
tonguengroover wrote:My truck has standard wheels and tires, no lifts.

Ya know what I hate since we're dissing vehicles and people who drive them is Prius/EV people going 10 miles under the speed limit in the fast lane blocking traffic.
I hate any one in any vehicle in the fast/passing lane that doesn’t know how to use it. Oh how I wish I had guns or missiles on my car…

I want the Death Star weapon.

Years ago before HOV lanes, networks used to have public service airings like this Discovery Channel one on highway safety. This one is narrated by the late Christopher Reeve. The major networks had them and it was a good review for all drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPzyigbyxI

tonguengroover wrote: I see many other cyclists don't bother with one.
It’s Because road cyclists are obsessed down to the gram with their equipment weight. I’ll spare the 15 oz for a loaded, J-Frame; when at my best I weighed 200lbs (& more like 235 these days) I was never a racer who could climb.

I always try to follow the Boy Scout motto: be prepared.

I also have a medium size saddle bag crammed with emergency gear: x2 tubes, patch kit, tyre spoons, leather man skeletool, Allen wrench tool. Mini flashlight And cigarette lighter. I’ve definitely burned through 2 tubes on a ride before & needed pliers once to pull a huge nail out of my rim. I always try to self rescue & have only once had my wife rescue me (3 flats & hypothermic in 40 degree temps with wind) & once a co-worker. Better to have an not need.