Re: are caampaign staffers more liberal than themainstream voter? is that a problem?

Well, a though, yes. Could be staffing campaigns with out of touch elites is not the greatest idea. Could also explain the insistence on pushing some agenda items that don’t make sense. Since this is a second amendment supporting forum, the dems gun agenda is one. Is it pushed by these young types, no idea, but it would be interesting to know.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: are campaign staffers more liberal than the mainstream voter? is that a problem?

Very good article lurker. Some quotes I thought were interesting.
As a result, Democrats end up spending a lot of time talking about issues that matter to college-educated liberals but not to the multiracial bloc of moderate voters that the party needs to win over to secure governing majorities in Washington.
In the longer term, however, the party will have to elevate the policy and messaging preferences of its moderate Black, Hispanic and working-class supporters over the preferences of young, highly-educated and liberal staffers.
Republican and Democratic affiliation in 2020.
Around two-thirds of registered voters in the U.S. (65%) do not have a college degree, while 36% do. But the share of voters with a college degree has risen substantially since 1996, when 24% had one.

Voters who identify with the Democratic Party or lean toward it are much more likely than their Republican counterparts to have a college degree (41% vs. 30%). In 1996, the reverse was true: 27% of GOP voters had a college degree, compared with 22% of Democratic voters.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... -religion/

Used to be that the Democrats were the party of non-college graduates and union workers and Republicans were the party of highly educated college graduates.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: are campaign staffers more liberal than the mainstream voter? is that a problem?

lurker wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:36 am
highdesert wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:10 am
Used to be that the Democrats were the party of non-college graduates and union workers and Republicans were the party of highly educated college graduates.
are you saying that in 30 yrs or so, we'll be trying to overthrow the govt?
I'm not good at reading crystal balls or tea leaves. The demographics of the two political parties has changed over the years and In addition to the divide over college vs non-college education there is also a gender divide between the two parties.

In the end maybe we become less partisan as Independents keep growing larger.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/part ... ation.aspx
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 pm In the end maybe we become less partisan as Independents keep growing larger.
Except most independents aren't. They're overwhelmingly partisan, just unaffiliated. Not all of them - but party switchers tend to be low-information voters.
sikacz wrote: Our country needs to step back to basics. Understanding what government is for and it’s relationship to the people needs to be re-examined.
We've had one party actively calling to drown the government in the bathtub so capital can operate without restraint since the Reagan era. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just a reminder that sardonic understatement is more characteristic of the Finnish sense of humor than the British.

wings wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:40 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 pm In the end maybe we become less partisan as Independents keep growing larger.
Except most independents aren't. They're overwhelmingly partisan, just unaffiliated. Not all of them - but party switchers tend to be low-information voters.
sikacz wrote: Our country needs to step back to basics. Understanding what government is for and it’s relationship to the people needs to be re-examined.
We've had one party actively calling to drown the government in the bathtub so capital can operate without restraint since the Reagan era. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just a reminder that sardonic understatement is more characteristic of the Finnish sense of humor than the British.

Yes independents tend to lean towards one party, but they don't always vote that way. They don't want affiliation with either party. Party switchers are very small, one estimate is 1 in 10 registered voters. Research has found that in some rural areas people are still registered as Democrats, but consistently vote Republican and some states don't register voters by party affilitation.

lurker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm i lean, but that party does not have all of my interests (2a) at heart. so i registered as indy in georgia in 95.

You beat me, I changed officially to indie in the early 2000s, but I gave up voting for many of their candidates earlier.

lurker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 pm reenacting led to the 2nd amendment for me. i formed an opinion about what the purpose of the 2nd was and still is. i've never been especially interested in social, political or economic theory (they are theory after all), but had read enough world and US history in school and on my own to conclude that a democratic republic, while imperfect and occasionally prone to excess, is superior to any other form of government, and that an individual right to, and access to the means of, self-defense were essential underpinnings to that principle. what i do intensely dislike is authoritarianism of whatever color, red, black or paisley. consent of the governed and all that.
Well said.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I’m a leaner, too - but not a joiner. Like Lurker I find authoritarianism contemptible and worthy of my resistance. I’m a life long believer in liberal democracy. (In the classical sense) that the government governs from a mandate from of the people; via a system of laws and norms.

My wife and I are both vets; and though she is far more politically active than me (women’s rights a
activist local & planned parenthood action committee, and a Democrat.) I try to support her Becuase I’d rather just spend my non-working hours doing dad stuff & hobbies. I used to be very active in the statewide gun rights organization of ohio - Buckeye Firearms Association - but I at first, I fought from within & eventually cut ties after it became tea party infested (anti-govt kooks) I was always steering it back to guns and wavy from other stuff that was as I see it with hindsight “nascent Trumpism.” The part that surprised me was that for a bunch of anti govt. kooks, they went all in on a cult of personality and authoritarianism. I guess they just needed a god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk