About 80 masked looters ransacked a Northern California Nordstom's store Saturday night.

Dozens of looters swarmed into the Nordstrom store in downtown Walnut Creek Saturday night, terrorizing shoppers, assaulting employees, ripping off bag loads of merchandise and ransacking shelves before fleeing in a several vehicles waiting for them on the street.

Walnut Creek Lt. Ryan Hibbs told KPIX that three people were in custody and others were being sought.

“Walnut Creek police investigators are in the process of reviewing surveillance footage to attempt to identify other suspects responsible for this brazen act,” authorities said in Sunday morning news release.

Police began receiving calls from Nordstrom employees about the looting at around 9 p.m. He said there were approximately 80 individuals who ran into the store and began looting and smashing shelves.

Two employees suffered injuries when they were assaulted and another was pepper sprayed by the suspects.

Video shot at the scene shows the masked looters streaming out of the store, carrying bags and boxes, jumping into the cars.

Dozens of police vehicles also responded to the scene.

An 18-year-old Oakland man and two people from San Francisco, ages 30 and 32, were taken into custody. Police also seized a gun from one of the suspects.

The male was charged with robbery, possession of stolen property, conspiracy to commit burglary and possession of burglary tools. The female was arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm.

Stolen property from the looting and a firearm was recovered from their vehicle.

A third suspect was caught on foot and arrested. He was also charged with robbery, possession of stolen property, conspiracy to commit burglary and possession of burglary tools.

The police department “is actively monitoring intelligence that indicates the group of thieves who stole from the Broadway Plaza Nordstrom last night are considering similar activity later today,” Walnut Creek police said in a community advisory posted about 3:30 p.m. Sunday on social media. “This has not been confirmed but, out of an abundance of caution, we’re alerting businesses and residents to be prepared,” police said in the advisory.

The department is calling in additional officers and reserves and some stores may consider closing early or taking other precautions, police said.

Brett Barrette is one of the managers of P.F. Chang’s restaurant across from the Nordstrom store. He watched as the bedlam unfolded.

“I probably saw 50-80 people in like ski masks with crowbars, a bunch of weapons,” he said. “They were looting the Nordstrom.”

“There was a mob of people,” he continued. “The police were flying in. It was like a scene out of a movie. It was insane.”

Barrette also worried about the safety of the diners in his restaurant. Many crowded around the windows to watch the looters flee. “I had to start locking the front door,” he said. “Locking the back door. You never know, they could come right in here. It was crazy … All the guests inside were getting concerned. It was a scary scene for a moment.”
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... rom-store/

A similar smash and grab situation happened Friday night in San Francisco's Union Square. They robbed high end stores like Louis Vuitton, Bloomingdales, Yves St Laurent and others. Police nabbed 8 of the looters, some frequent flyers.

As usual the Daily Mail has pictures and video.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... inute.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: About 80 masked looters ransacked a Northern California Nordstom's store Saturday night.

Police and their analysts from many departments are likely combing through any video. In some of the photos I saw it appeared the license plates were missing or maybe just obscured. I grew up in WC and Saturday night kids would "drag the Main" so those vehicles could have just blended in with all the other kids in cars.

Didn't know it was the whole Bay Area, that was coordinated a conspiracy.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: About 80 masked looters ransacked a Northern California Nordstom's store Saturday night.

featureless wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 am Let the games begin? This isn't a good sign.
I have a feeling this will be like the FBI searching videos for US Capitol rioters, a long slow process. With all the looters wearing balaclava's and if their skin was covered hiding any tattoos it could be almost impossible to identify them. It seemed well rehearsed.

featureless wrote:Let the games begin? This isn't a good sign.
Our unequal society is is getting frothy. From this to Rittenhouse and all the bad driving, normalized narcissism and general rudeness we are jaded for a bad place , I fear. My hippie ass, environmental engineer wife has started talking to me about HER carrying concealed. That is a sure sign of bad things coming…
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Copy cats?
Authorities in Beverly Hills are investigating after two storefront windows near the tony shopping area of Rodeo Drive were smashed just after midnight Sunday.

Officers responded to reports of attempted burglaries at a shop in the 200 block of Rodeo Drive and another in the 9600 block of Wilshire Boulevard around 12:30 a.m., according to Capt. Max Subin of the Beverly Hills Police Department.

Witnesses reported the locations as a Louis Vuitton store and a Saks Fifth Avenue.

Subin said that multiple suspects were seen traveling in several vehicles and that they “descended on the locations and used a sledgehammer to try to break through front windows.”

No entry was made in either case, he said.

The incidents occurred on the heels of a series of smash-and-grab robberies in the Bay Area, which included targeted thefts Friday and Saturday of several high-end stores, including Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Bloomingdale’s and Nordstrom.

Police in Chicago were also investigating a similar robbery at a Neiman Marcus store Friday night.

Subin did not confirm whether officials in Beverly Hills are considering the incidents related. Beverly Hills police and armed private security have increased their patrols in the area, he said.

“This used to be the safest city in the West, but it’s not anymore,” shopper Salvano Fino told CBS-TV at the scene. “Anybody can come and just take, and it’s just getting very easy for them.”

Representatives for Louis Vuitton and Saks Fifth Avenue did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Calls to both stores went unanswered Monday morning.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... odeo-drive

After DECADES of Republican-driven policy to make the rich richer and the rest stay poor, I’m hardly surprised to see smash and loot commonly seen only in wildly unequal third-world countries.

There’s a widespread feeling that people at the top are getting richer by rigging the system in their favor, so people at the bottom feel they don’t need to adhere by this rigged social contract. The rich loots with a pen, the poor with a crowbar.

A middle class guy like me gets squeezed both ways. I’m not rich enough to pay expensive lawyers and be above the law, but not poor enough to be invisible and untraceable. FML.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:34 pm After DECADES of Republican-driven policy to make the rich richer and the rest stay poor, I’m hardly surprised to see smash and loot commonly seen only in wildly unequal third-world countries.

There’s a widespread feeling that people at the top are getting richer by rigging the system in their favor, so people at the bottom feel they don’t need to adhere by this rigged social contract. The rich loots with a pen, the poor with a crowbar.

A middle class guy like me gets squeezed both ways. I’m not rich enough to pay expensive lawyers and be above the law, but not poor enough to be invisible and untraceable. FML.
Good point. “Chickens come home to roost” perhaps. There’s definitely an increase in violence in Houston as well. Pandemic and years of not addressing social issues. Yes, the rich are richer and the poor dropped out of the system are throwing in the towel. It’s like they are saying f’it. Our system is screwed up, politicians lookout for the wealthy and themselves, manchin types. F the people, result not surprising. We’re headed down the tube. “Of the people” only works if everyone is part of the people and not just the entitled rich.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

An unknown number of thieves broke into a Nordstrom department store at the Grove mall late Monday, smashing one window.

Rick Caruso, the developer behind the Grove, confirmed there was a break-in at the Nordstrom but no entry was made to the Grove.

“Fortunately they could not enter the Grove and LAPD is pursuing,” he said in a text message.

According to KNBC-TV Channel 4, there was one shattered window at the scene near West 3rd Street and The Grove Drive.

A KNBC reporter spoke with a man identified as the Grove’s head of security who said no other businesses in the mall were affected by the break-in, which occurred about 10:45 p.m.

The perpetrators fled the scene before police arrived.

Deputy Chief Blake Chow told The Times that a pursuit of the suspects ended in the department’s Southeast Division.

Further information on the incident, such as how many suspects there were, an estimate of damages to the Nordstrom and whether anyone was in custody, was not available late Monday night.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... os-angeles

As police investigate we'll find out which ones were organized criminals, which ones were a social message and which ones were copy cats.

I have nothing but contempt for thievery !! Having been on the receiving end of auto theft, auto break ins, home robbery, stealing things I worked hard to pay for is a bit unsettling. There is a huge difference in stealing an apple pie off a window shelf because you are starving and just outright theft of anyone's or things property. Inequities are no excuse for stealing - I don't care who or what you are or one's lot in life, it does not entitle anyone to theft.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I don’t think anyone here was condoning illegal activities, like theft and violence. For my part, I’m trying to find and understand the underlying reasons why violence seems to be on the rise. There’s no fixing something without that understanding. The future is not looking very good.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 am I don’t think anyone here was condoning illegal activities, like theft and violence. For my part, I’m trying to find and understand the underlying reasons why violence seems to be on the rise. There’s no fixing something without that understanding. The future is not looking very good.
Agree, it's a crime no matter what their justification and yes violence is on the rise.
The District [DC] on Monday recorded its 200th homicide this year, the first time that symbolic threshold of deadly violence has been reached in the nation’s capital since 2003.

A man was fatally shot at a gas station in Southeast Washington just after 10:15 p.m., becoming the latest victim of months of rising violence that has frustrated and angered city leaders and residents. Police have not yet publicly identified him.

Homicides rose in 29 major U.S. cities through September compared with the same period last year, according to the Council on Criminal Justice, a Washington-based institute.

Killings across the country spiked nearly 30 percent in 2020, the FBI has said. Baltimore surpassed 300 killings for the seventh consecutive year, and homicides in Philadelphia reached 497 on Monday, 13 percent higher than this time last year.

Officials in the District and across the country say there is no simple explanation for the increase in deadly violence. District leaders have offered many possible reasons, including the proliferation of illegal firearms, their use in seemingly minor disputes and pandemic-induced disruptions that slowed courts, emptied jails, curtailed public transportation and ruptured the safety net relied on by many in the most underserved communities.

The high number of slayings in the District is adding to the ongoing debate over how to reimagine policing amid calls from activists and lawmakers to de-emphasize the role of law enforcement and treat crime as a public health emergency by resolving root causes of poverty, inequality, addiction and joblessness.

D.C. Police Chief Robert J. Contee III called reaching 200 homicides “very troubling,” noting “lives that matter in our city were unnecessarily taken away too soon.” In a recent interview, the police chief said some people simply “don’t have empathy for another human being.” He cited several killings over seemingly trivial matters, including one of a woman gunned down in front of her family during an argument with a neighbor.

“What’s the issue?” Contee said. “What is it over at the end of the day? Where is our sense of humanity?”

Contee has pushed for more accountability in the criminal justice system in dealing with people his officers arrest, especially those charged in gun crimes.

The D.C. police union attributes the crime spike to changes in policing born out of the 2020 summer of social unrest following the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer — which resulted in smaller departments and budgets — and new rules activists say are aimed at curbing police abuse but that critics say impede fighting crime. Activists reject linking crime increases to police reforms.
Thomas Abt, a senior fellow at the Council on Criminal Justice, attributed the increase in slayings in cities across the country to what he called “community gun violence” that is “concentrated in small networks of people and places.”

Speaking at a webcast forum this month, Abt promoted the idea of “focused deterrence” to identify core offenders, a tactic the District is using in a program called Building Blocks D.C. that identifies the 151 blocks in the city where much of the gunfire occurs.

“The concept is to focus on the highest-risk people in the highest-risk places,” Abt said in an interview. He chairs the council’s Violent Crime Working Group, which also includes as a member Linda K. Harllee Harper, who runs the District’s Building Blocks initiative.

Abt said the rise in gun violence in many cities is similar to previous trends and has always been concentrated in high-risk groups. “The violence has intensified, but it’s not new violence,” he said.

The pandemic has exacerbated challenges for people who had already been living on the margins and largely disenfranchised, Abt said. Some programs may have reached them, he said, but when coronavirus-closures hit, “all of those efforts suddenly stopped.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... -violence/

DC needs to try other things because their gun control laws haven't reduced violence.

Wino wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:06 am I have nothing but contempt for thievery !! Having been on the receiving end of auto theft, auto break ins, home robbery, stealing things I worked hard to pay for is a bit unsettling. There is a huge difference in stealing an apple pie off a window shelf because you are starving and just outright theft of anyone's or things property. Inequities are no excuse for stealing - I don't care who or what you are or one's lot in life, it does not entitle anyone to theft.
Wino, I write this to help expand your view of “stealing” and add to the process of understanding that you have already started upon. You agree that there is no monolithic reason why people steal. Their motivations are important to differentiate who they are. One steals food out of desperation and a need for survival. Another steals property to enrich himself at the cost of a stranger (or worse a friend or family member who trusted them). Now, consider the mythical Robin Hood character. The troublemaker who wishes to upset the status-quo and redress some social inequity and reduce the suffering of the powerless by giving them what he has stolen from the rich? Of course that sort of thief is celebrated in the public consciousness and many mafia bosses have considered themselves variants of such “honorable criminals”. What is less celebrated are simply the angry poor. Such as those who started the French Revolution. The ones who spontaneously organized to upend the system though revolution and “eat the rich”. Yes, we actually celebrate those people through broadway plays. Yet if they are colored folks who smash and grab Fendi purses or Gucci outfits, somehow that is less glamorous. Consider also that these stores are completely “insured”. These luxury stores are not victims like you or me. (Their employees may be the victims if they don’t have a sales job to return to a looted store the next day but that is beside the point.) A thief stealing your car (to cut up and sell as parts) that you need to get to work is clearly evil as the victim bears all the cost as well as future losses (not being able to get to work). But that is quite different than an ignorant thief who steals handbags to sell on Craigslist when the store suffers no losses, are fully insured, and nobody needs the handbag to do anything (it is literally a bobble for rich folks’ egos).

Stealing a handbag off the shoulder of an owner is even different than stealing the exact same handbag from a store. In corporate stores there truly are no direct victims (though they would like us to believe otherwise). One could possibly say the most direct victim in the recent smash & grabs are the thieves themselves who have been living under such economic or social pressures that they explode in rage or believe that risking police beating, arrest and jail is worth some spontaneous act of immediate gratification. These people live both as outcasts of society and in total ignorance to their power to create or ensnared in illusions (such as the value of luxury goods to their lives).

My point is not to exonerate crimes or criminals. It is to help all of us see beyond the limitations of our current perspectives. Not doing so keeps all of us mired in conflict over crumbs and trapped by our collective illusions over what is real; blind to the solutions to pertinent social challenges.
Last edited by Bisbee on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Wino wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:06 am I have nothing but contempt for thievery !! Having been on the receiving end of auto theft, auto break ins, home robbery, stealing things I worked hard to pay for is a bit unsettling. There is a huge difference in stealing an apple pie off a window shelf because you are starving and just outright theft of anyone's or things property. Inequities are no excuse for stealing - I don't care who or what you are or one's lot in life, it does not entitle anyone to theft.
I’m just as upset by petty thieves as by corrupt politicians and corporate lobbyist. Whether they steal my stuff or make me pay inflated taxes due to their games, the end result is the same: less money in my pocket. I think the rich guys who manage to lobby so they pay 100 million less in taxes and have a million losers pay 100 dollar more is the worse kind.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Nine people are facing a series of felony charges following a smash-and-grab robbery at the Louis Vuitton store in San Francisco’s Union Square and at other businesses on Friday.

San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin announced charges Tuesday against the suspects; among them, looting during a state of emergency, second-degree commercial burglary, grand theft, receiving stolen property, and carrying a loaded firearm.

“I want to be clear about something. These are not petty thefts. This is not misdemeanor conduct. This is felony conduct and we are charging felonies today,” Boudin said during a Tuesday afternoon news conference.

The DA’s office said five people were arrested in connection with the incident at the Louis Vuitton store. The same night, three people were arrested for burglarizing a cannabis dispensary, and one other arrested for burglarizing a Walgreens. Two of the nine arrested were allegedly carrying firearms.

The suspects in the Louis Vuitton incident were identified as Francill White, Tomiko Lamar Miller, Kimberly Cherry and Ivan Speed. The suspects in the cannabis dispensary burglary were identified as Raymond Phillips, Edward James Jr., and Michael Ray. Daron Wilson was identified as the suspect in the Walgreens burglary.
San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said Tuesday he was confident there would be more arrests.

“We do have some significant leads that we’re following up on,” said Scott. “There’s a lot of video evidence to go through. A lot.”

Scott said some of those arrested are repeat offenders and have been in and out of the justice system.

“Collectively, we have some work to do,” said Scott.

When asked whether those arrested would stay in custody, Boudin responded, “Ultimately, in every single case – including these – it is the decision of the judges of the Superior Court of San Francisco whether someone stays in custody pending trial or whether they’re released.”

Boudin told KPIX 5 during an interview Monday there are at least 25 more people involved in these mob-style robberies who are still on the streets.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... on-square/

It's more than high end retailers, cannabis shops and pharmacies have also been hit. Oakland across the Bay is looking for a dozen smash and grab looters.