First revolver?

Interested in getting a revolver, mostly for fun. Probably won't carry, but would be nice if it were concealable, just in case.

Any recommendations? I've read good things about the rock island m206 (price is appealing too). I'm a newbie to handguns, so something heavier to absorb the recoil would probably be better.

Re: First revolver?

I have 2 revolvers and I'm fond of both. Both are double action/single action.
First is a Ruger 1771, a 7 round 4.2" version of the GP100 series, in .357 magnum/.38 special.
Second is a new Taurus 692 Convertible, 6 1/2 " in .357 mag/.38 special, and 9mm. Also 7 rounds.
I suspect the Ruger is more reliable, but the Taurus is easier to shoot, with less barrel lift and recoil.

I bought the Taurus months ago but because of the pandemic, Friday was the first time I was willing to take it to a range to try it...and I was VERY impressed with the accuracy at 15 yards. I HOPE it holds up...
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Revolvers appropriate for concealed carry are not shooter friendly. The small revolvers produce some very stiff recoil unless you have a Ruger SP-101, and then its on the heavy side for carry.

I don't really recommend revolvers for defense anymore. I reserve revolvers for sport and recreation; and in my book, there's nothing wrong with that. Not all firearms have to fill a defensive niche.

Of course the 3 makers I would recommend are Colt, S&W, or Ruger'. All 3 make world class revolvers, and you won't regret spending more. The typical "first" revolver is a .38/357 so take a look at what is available from those 3 makers.

And of course, if we're talking fun; Cowboy revolvers are a lot of fun too.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Single action, double action only, or DA/SA?

A common recommendation is to buy a .357 Magnum even if you only ever shoot .38 Special, because options. Also because you'll never, ever have to worry about +P. Also also, they'll be heavier and absorb recoil a bit better. Barrel length is important but depends on your goals - longer barrels can be more accurate, have less felt recoil or muzzle blast, and better muzzle velocity / kinetic energy. OTOH, they are heavier and harder to conceal. The .357 is a lot louder than 38 Special - not just because of the powder charge, but crossing the sound barrier. Do not shoot indoors without ear protection in either case.

For fun, .22LR is always a good, cheap recommendation. Be aware that the triggers are heavier for rimfire rounds because the primer takes more force to set off.

On the other end of the spectrum, .44s and .45s can be a real blast. 44 Special and Magnum have the same issues as .38/.357, with .45 Colt / .454 Casull a step up from those. I really enjoy .45 Colt (and ACP) in a convertible Blackhawk, but there's the thing where you have to be careful about ammunition in older guns.

You can get revolvers in metric calibers, but then you have to measure distances in meters, not yards. It's the law.

I love revolvers; I have many.

No revolver is economical to shoot WITH FACTORY AMMO as the ammo is always more expensive than common semi-auto calibers (when available.)

Shortly after I got my second .357 I became a reloader.

So price that in, to your total cost of ownership. During 2020-1; I didn’t see a commercial .357, .38 or .45 Colt round for sale for 1.5 years. I did stumble upon 9mm, 45ACP here & there.

That being said; I agree with the others - .357 all the way. It’s a great caliber to standardize on. You have full spectrum from 125 gr, .38 SPL cowboy “plinkers”to full house 180gr. Cast or hollow points that you can take whitetail deer with. Another advantage is you can buy a .357 Carbine later on.

If you can save up, I’d highly recommend a Ruger. You can still find GP 100s or SP 101s around here for $6-700 if you shop around. However a S&W is excellent if you can find one as well -
My experience is they are a tad more.

I have a .357 on my hip right now… S&W m 66 k-Frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukan91 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:59 pm Interested in getting a revolver, mostly for fun.

I've read good things about the rock island m206 (price is appealing too).
The rock Island m206 is an economy subnose. It will not be fun to shoot. Not at all. There is a reason the price is as low as it is.

May I suggest you slow down, and look around. There are much better choices you can make. First, have you taken a handgun safety course??? If not, there is where you should start. Have you considered a used revolver?

Find an indoor range and go look at the revolvers they have for sale. Tell the salesman that you are looking for a revolver. Handle several of them and see what feels best. Then see if you can rent one from the range.
Do you live near one of our state chapters? That would be a great place to meet other shooters. They just might have a revolver you can try out.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

The long heavy double action triggers on revolvers can give even seasoned shooters trouble. If you want a challenge or something different I love revolvers. But they are not my recommendation to learn to shoot on.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

A revolver is a fine way to get into firearms. Shooting a revolver can be more relaxing. To me it encourages a slower shooting pace. Also, the range of calibers from smaller than .22 to the this will break my wrist calibers, all fun to shoot. Good luck in your search, try to find some members near you and meet up.
E7E3517A-AA12-4F79-A92B-4C29C1118C5F.jpeg

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lukan91 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:59 pm Interested in getting a revolver, mostly for fun. Probably won't carry, but would be nice if it were concealable, just in case.

Any recommendations? I've read good things about the rock island m206 (price is appealing too). I'm a newbie to handguns, so something heavier to absorb the recoil would probably be better.
I JUST bought this RI M200 and I really love it. Not as nice as my son's S&W 686/7 but also 1/3 the $. Reliable, great fun to shoot..a great first revolver. Shooting 38spec, and recoil is a non issue. The M206 is a 'mid size' revolver..not really a 'snubbie'. Lighter, not as much fun to shoot, not accurate(shoter barrel) as the M200.

BTW-I got my M200 for $179...$205 out the door. Colorado.

With the right clothes and holster, ANYTHING is concealable...I have CCW my Uberti Bird'sHead, my Glock 17..not the best but pretty easy.

Hiker wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 pm
lukan91 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:59 pm Interested in getting a revolver, mostly for fun.

I've read good things about the rock island m206 (price is appealing too).
The rock Island m206 is an economy subnose. It will not be fun to shoot. Not at all. There is a reason the price is as low as it is.

May I suggest you slow down, and look around. There are much better choices you can make. First, have you taken a handgun safety course??? If not, there is where you should start. Have you considered a used revolver?

Find an indoor range and go look at the revolvers they have for sale. Tell the salesman that you are looking for a revolver. Handle several of them and see what feels best. Then see if you can rent one from the range.
Do you live near one of our state chapters? That would be a great place to meet other shooters. They just might have a revolver you can try out.
Currently in touch with a fellow LGCer about taking a safety course to get my permit. Just spitballing here! I'm new to revolvers, so I appreciate everyone's insight.

Excellent, glad to hear you are in touch with the gang!!! And welcome to shooting!!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Shooting a revolver is different than some bottom feeders but not impossible to master. In fact, some of us shot only revolvers for decades before even trying a bottom feeder. Yes, the double action trigger is both heavier and a longer stroke than on many current bottom feeders but not very different than the long heavier pull of a classic DA/SA or DAO bottom feeder like those from Beretta or Sig Sauer or S&W or Star such as my Beretta 81 or Sig Sauer P230 or P290RS or S&W 469 or 5306 or Star UltraStar.

It's different than a single action or so many of the newer striker fired things but not much different than many of the traditional bottom feeders. And a single action revolver will also be different; all equally effective but simply different.

Personally, I would suggest a used S&W Model 10 as the absolute ultimate starter revolver. Get an old police turn in if you can find one and you'll have something that might not be the prettiest thing out there but very likely one sweet shooting handgun that was carried lots and shot little.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:27 pm Shooting a revolver is different than some bottom feeders but not impossible to master. In fact, some of us shot only revolvers for decades before even trying a bottom feeder. Yes, the double action trigger is both heavier and a longer stroke than on many current bottom feeders but not very different than the long heavier pull of a classic DA/SA or DAO bottom feeder like those from Beretta or Sig Sauer or S&W or Star such as my Beretta 81 or Sig Sauer P230 or P290RS or S&W 469 or 5306 or Star UltraStar.

It's different than a single action or so many of the newer striker fired things but not much different than many of the traditional bottom feeders. And a single action revolver will also be different; all equally effective but simply different.

Personally, I would suggest a used S&W Model 10 as the absolute ultimate starter revolver. Get an old police turn in if you can find one and you'll have something that might not be the prettiest thing out there but very likely one sweet shooting handgun that was carried lots and shot little.
Good point Sig on the S&W Model 10. You can’t go wrong with any good used S&W revolver, especially ones that have some service background.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

First revolver?

featureless wrote:I had a 686. Didn't love how the grip is so different from an auto, so sold it. Still tempted by one of the LCRs with a hammer as a ranch gun (even though it's ugly). Maybe some day.
I change the grips on all my revolvers. Very much a personal preference thing. I don’t like the stock Ruger or S&W grips at all.

My 586 “no dash” came with pachmyers- and while they are ugly as sin & overly heavy, I find they lock my hand in well and tame even “John Taffin loads” level recoil. That’s one thing I like about a revolver over a (especially a modern polymer) Semi auto - lots of grip options. I’ve been a fan of that brand of grip ever since. But again, personal preference & I have large hands.

tonguengroover wrote:I don't know why but S&W wheel guns don't appeal to me at all, starting from the looks- like a cat dragged in a rodent. Sorry smiffy lovers.
I have equal Smiths and Rugers (and some others) and I definitely think the smith revolvers look better (with the exception of the ugly Hillary Hole - but none of mine have one). They both shoot equally well. My rule of thumb is older smiths newer Rugers. I can’t afford a colt! Eye of the beholder, I guess.