San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

1
The owners of San Francisco restaurant Hilda and Jesse apologized Sunday in the face of criticism for asking three armed, uniformed city police officers who were dining there to leave because staffers “felt uncomfortable with the presence of their multiple weapons.”

“We made a mistake and apologize for the unfortunate incident Friday when we asked members of the San Francisco Police Department to leave our restaurant,” co-owners Rachel Sillcocks and Kristina Liedags Compton posted on the restaurant’s Instagram page Sunday afternoon, following a flurry of backlash from police and online reviewers.

“We are grateful to all members of the force who work hard to keep us safe, especially during these challenging times,” the statement said. “We hope this will be a teachable moment for us as we repair and continue to build bridges with the SFPD. These are stressful times, and we handled this badly.”

A spokesperson for the restaurant did not immediately respond to emailed questions seeking more detail about the encounter on Friday. Follow up questions sent to the SFPD on Sunday were also not answered Sunday.

At the restaurant on Union Street in North Beach, Sillcocks said Sunday morning that the staff was busy preparing to open, and she would not be available to provide more information until later.

After reports of the incident spread on social media Saturday, the restaurant later that day had posted a description of what happened.

Soon after the officers were seated on Friday, restaurant staffers “politely asked them to leave,” according to the Instagram post, because “the presence of their weapons in the restaurant made us uncomfortable.” “The restaurant is a safe space,” the post said. “This is not a political statement, we did what we thought was best for our staff.”

“We respect the San Francisco police Department and are grateful for the work they do. We welcome them into the restaurant when they are off duty, out of uniform, and without their weapons.”

In response, the Police Department referred The Chronicle to a statement by Chief Bill Scott on Twitter. In it, he said, “The San Francisco Police Department stands for safety with respect, even when it means respecting wishes that our officers and I find discouraging and personally disappointing.”

“I believe the vast majority of San Franciscans welcome their police officers, who deserve to know that they are appreciated for the difficult job we ask them to do — in their uniforms — to keep our neighborhoods and businesses safe,” Scott said.

Sillcocks and Compton opened Hilda and Jesse on Nov. 1 on Union Street after it got its start in 2019 as a pop-up in the Richmond District.

By Sunday, the restaurant had received a flood of negative reviews on Yelp, with hundreds of reviewers criticizing it for the Friday incident, though some expressed support.

Another Bay Area restaurant, Hasta Muerte in Oakland, drew national attention in 2018 when a worker denied service to a uniformed, armed police officer under the ownership collective’s policy, which The Chronicle reported was to not serve uniformed officers because their presence could compromise the physical and emotional safety of its customers, many of whom are people of color.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 676313.php


At one point the restaurant also used the Haste Muerte excuse by saying they served LGBTQ and POC who are uncomfortable with police.


Their first mangled Instagram post.
"We would happily welcome them off duty, out of uniform and without weapons. We're sorry that the decision upset you. We understand your perspective and we hope you'll consider ours," she continued. Sillcocks told ABC 7 that asking the officers had nothing to do with their profession, and everything to do with the presence of their weapons.

"It's not about the fact that we are anti-police," she told ABC7. "It is about the fact that we do not allow weapons in our restaurant. We were uncomfortable, and we asked them to leave. It has nothing to do that they were officers. It has everything to do that they were carrying guns."
"We understand how much the police support and protect the community," she added. "We want to again reiterate the fact that this is about guns being in our space, and we don't allow it."
Following the incident, the restaurant's Yelp page was flooded with one star reviews from those that disagreed with their decision to ask the officers to leave. Their rating on the website was brought down to one star as a result.
"This is one of those times I wish I could post with zero stars. The owners and staff of this place have little regard for their customers and are more than guilty of excluding some customers because of their chosen profession. It will be interesting if this dump experiences a smash and grab and who the owners call for help," wrote one Yelp user. "Building a business on principles of disrespect, bias and prejudice is some kind of model."

"Telling uniformed police officers to leave your business because they are carrying guns?? Your staff feels uncomfortable because someone has a gun in your restaurant? Uniformed cops who are actually protecting you? You say you have a policy to not allow guns on your premises? Can you produce that policy?"

Responded another Yelp user. Seriously? I hope you get robbed ! Who you gunna call? The ghost busters? Do you really think any SFPD will respond to any call for service at your restaurant?"

"Given that this business has decided to Discriminate against first responders, I reserve the right to Call For A Boycott Of Hilda and Jesse. Because if Hilda and Jesse can discriminate against an officer on Lunch, then what is to stop them from doing the same to Health Care Workers due to a fear of COVID," wrote one Yelp user. "I am an Out Gay Man in SF, and I find the misrepresentation that the LGBTQ community needs protection from the SFPD to be offensive."
"To the owners, If you prohibit weapons why do you have kitchen knives? You told the cops you didn't trust them with their work tools," wrote another Yelp user, who gave five stars "just because my 1 star review would get lost within the others."
They just opened November 1st and are already pissing off potential customers, they might be good with food but they have no business or PR sense, they won't last a year. The same naïve thinking that has produced CAs gun laws.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

2
Yes, I suspect you’re right on their prospects. I’d want the same trust given to any legally armed person as well. I doubt that will happen. The narrative needs to change, the anti gun groups in California and throughout the USA have shaped peoples perceptions, fear at the sight of a gun. The assumption that anyone armed is up to no good, dangerous and a threat to safety just by being armed is prejudiced and stereotyped. Whatever happened to presumption of innocence.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

4
sikacz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 am Yes, I suspect you’re right on their prospects. I’d want the same trust given to any legally armed person as well. I doubt that will happen. The narrative needs to change, the anti gun groups in California and throughout the USA have shaped peoples perceptions, fear at the sight of a gun. The assumption that anyone armed is up to no good, dangerous and a threat to safety just by being armed is prejudiced and stereotyped. Whatever happened to presumption of innocence.

Yes it eerily resembles alcohol prohibition - I don't drink, I don't like the sight of alcohol, just the sight of it makes me feel uncomfortable, therefore alcohol should be illegal and businesses associated with it closed. They know what's best for all of us, symptoms of a nanny state.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

7
TrueTexan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:35 am :sarcasm: Just wait till they need a cop and none show up.
One of the Yelp comments suggested they can call "Ghost Busters".

I've probably run into more cops during the pandemic, we're usually standing in line waiting for take out so chat for awhile.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

8
BearPaws wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 am I distrust people wearing police uniforms, regardless of whether a sidearm is present, so there's that.
God knows they have earned that rep.

That being said, it wasn't a very bright business move...even in San Francisco.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

9
FrontSight wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 am That being said, it wasn't a very bright business move...even in San Francisco.
All the SF TV stations reported the story and it wasn't flattering and of course the SF Chron story I quoted. One report said the two owners went to the SFPD's Central Station, presumably to do mea culpas. I imagine they also got calls from their investors. They're located on Union Street in SF, a posh area with high rents.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

11
I was born in San Francisco. I used to love going there to work, socialize and patronize events. I rarely go there now. When we do, we always empty our "beater" car of any excess contents and drive it up there. I believe law enforcement personnel are demoralized because the City and County's (It's a rare dual-entity government) criminal justice system does not support their work. Simply releasing criminals back into the streets is not rehabilitation.

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

12
BearPaws wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 am I distrust people wearing police uniforms, regardless of whether a sidearm is present, so there's that.
I wanted to add to this point to bring balance to this discussion, to promote greater understanding of different points of view rather than gang up against unpopular ideas.

In CA the voter laws specifically states that uniformed armed officers of any kind (police or private security) are not allowed within 100ft of the polling station under the no-electioneering statute.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... &article=3.

The rational behind this may be because some minority groups (often first generation naturalized citizens from developing nations) are intimidated by uniforms and the presence of guns. The reasons for their trauma are wide ranging but generally have to do with having been abused by state power. The State of California wishes to protect each citizen’s right to vote to be from any form of intimidation whatsoever.

I only raise this point to highlight the fact that there are also Americans born and raised in the United States who have experienced trauma and abuse at the hands of “bad apples” in the police department. Never-mind the snowflakes who are incensed at any symbol they deem contrary to their own teenie values. True trauma exists within the community due to repeated exposure to abuse of police powers. Within the Bay Area itself was one of the first video recorded “accidental” shooting of an unarmed, handcuffed, laying face down black man at the Fruitvale BART station in 2009. Onlookers filmed police shooting an unarmed 22 y/o in the back for “not complying with officers” while he was face-down, hands behind his back, and being pummeled by another officer using racial epithets.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/10094868 ... scar-grant

So I raise this case and and point to other cases in the National news which highlight the problem of extrajudicial police killings of unarmed black men and how such collective trauma has yet to be healed or addressed in the general population. Because of continuing abuse of police powers we will likely continue to see this kind of polarization against armed police officers or fear of anyone in uniform by minority and/or LGBT folks in our community.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

13
highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:24 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 am Yes, I suspect you’re right on their prospects. I’d want the same trust given to any legally armed person as well. I doubt that will happen. The narrative needs to change, the anti gun groups in California and throughout the USA have shaped peoples perceptions, fear at the sight of a gun. The assumption that anyone armed is up to no good, dangerous and a threat to safety just by being armed is prejudiced and stereotyped. Whatever happened to presumption of innocence.

Yes it eerily resembles alcohol prohibition - I don't drink, I don't like the sight of alcohol, just the sight of it makes me feel uncomfortable, therefore alcohol should be illegal and businesses associated with it closed. They know what's best for all of us, symptoms of a nanny state.
Agree all the way.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

14
featureless wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:19 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 am Whatever happened to presumption of innocence.
In California, if you are are gun owner (let alone a gun carrier), you are innocently presumed a latent killer just waiting to blossom forth.
I’m starting to understand y’all’s misery. Condolences.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

15
Bisbee wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:50 pm Because of continuing abuse of police powers we will likely continue to see this kind of polarization against armed police officers or fear of anyone in uniform by minority and/or LGBT folks in our community.
Bisbee, thank you for expanding on my comments in a thoughtful manner (and with points on which I am in agreement).

I wanted to quote your last sentence, not because I am among the demographics you mention, but because even as a white guy of a certain age, I have experienced fear at the exposure to people with uniforms, badges, sidearms, and bad attitudes. And I wasn't doing anything wrong. As a person raised to consider others' experiences, I have been incensed repeatedly at how police officers have been treating friends, neighbors, and other folks in my community and in the country as a whole. I live less than fifteen miles from where Breonna Taylor was killed by cops during a no-knock warrant raid twenty months or so ago. I know a fair number of people who were personally affected by police brutality in the ensuing protests (I found it interesting how police responded to people who were essentially saying "We are TIRED of violence against us by police" by putting out a "We'll give you REAL reasons to be afraid of more excessive violence by police!" much as the old "I'm going to give you reason to cry!" from an abusive parent).

And I keep reading about how "good cops," as in "those who try to hold their coworkers accountable to respect the people they are supposed to protect," are ostracized, denied promotions, or even fired for not hewing to that institutional bigotry.

So, yes, I totally see how people working in a restaurant in San Francisco (or even Podunk, Kentucky) would find armed cops intimidating and difficult for working conditions.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

16
If the two owners of Hilda and Jesse's Restaurant are wealthy and are not dependent on customers for their income, then they can be as picky as they like about who they serve. They've generated media attention nationwide, the LA Times has an article today and so does the New York Times, the Friday incident went viral and is still repeating on lesser media. I doubt they'll have any sworn SFPD in their restaurant anytime soon.
What happened at Hilda and Jesse is not the first time restaurants have drawn attention for asking officers to leave or refusing them service.

In 2019, six police officers said they were asked to leave a Starbucks in Tempe, Ariz., after an “anxious, nervous or uncomfortable” customer asked a barista why the officers were there. The coffee company apologized on Twitter and in full-page newspaper ads, and the hashtag #BoycottStarbucks picked up steam on social media.

In 2015, within weeks of each other, two employees refused service to police officers at popular chains in two different states, but then said they were joking.

One was an employee at Dunkin’ Donuts, now known as Dunkin’, who spotted a police officer in the back of the line in West Hartford, Conn., and then announced, “He didn’t get the message; we don’t serve cops here.” The other was an employee of an Arby’s in Pembroke Pines, Fla., who refused to serve a uniformed police officer at a drive-through window.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/06/us/s ... icers.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

17
highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:54 pm If the two owners of Hilda and Jesse's Restaurant are wealthy and are not dependent on customers for their income, then they can be as picky as they like about who they serve. They've generated media attention nationwide, the LA Times has an article today and so does the New York Times, the Friday incident went viral and is still repeating on lesser media. I doubt they'll have any sworn SFPD in their restaurant anytime soon.
What happened at Hilda and Jesse is not the first time restaurants have drawn attention for asking officers to leave or refusing them service.

In 2019, six police officers said they were asked to leave a Starbucks in Tempe, Ariz., after an “anxious, nervous or uncomfortable” customer asked a barista why the officers were there. The coffee company apologized on Twitter and in full-page newspaper ads, and the hashtag #BoycottStarbucks picked up steam on social media.

In 2015, within weeks of each other, two employees refused service to police officers at popular chains in two different states, but then said they were joking.

One was an employee at Dunkin’ Donuts, now known as Dunkin’, who spotted a police officer in the back of the line in West Hartford, Conn., and then announced, “He didn’t get the message; we don’t serve cops here.” The other was an employee of an Arby’s in Pembroke Pines, Fla., who refused to serve a uniformed police officer at a drive-through window.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/06/us/s ... icers.html
Sure anyone can pick their customers. I’d prefer they let me know before I walk through the door. Post a sign just like a no carry sign letting everyone know who you will or won’t serve. Smacks of the same prejudice that was used against minorities, but I suppose since they don’t discriminate based on race/national origin or sex it holds up in court. Deny all armed people and I won’t bother walking in armed or not. Choose your customers, ok fine. After all I choose which establishments I go to as well.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

18
sikacz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:56 am
highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:54 pm If the two owners of Hilda and Jesse's Restaurant are wealthy and are not dependent on customers for their income, then they can be as picky as they like about who they serve. They've generated media attention nationwide, the LA Times has an article today and so does the New York Times, the Friday incident went viral and is still repeating on lesser media. I doubt they'll have any sworn SFPD in their restaurant anytime soon.
What happened at Hilda and Jesse is not the first time restaurants have drawn attention for asking officers to leave or refusing them service.

In 2019, six police officers said they were asked to leave a Starbucks in Tempe, Ariz., after an “anxious, nervous or uncomfortable” customer asked a barista why the officers were there. The coffee company apologized on Twitter and in full-page newspaper ads, and the hashtag #BoycottStarbucks picked up steam on social media.

In 2015, within weeks of each other, two employees refused service to police officers at popular chains in two different states, but then said they were joking.

One was an employee at Dunkin’ Donuts, now known as Dunkin’, who spotted a police officer in the back of the line in West Hartford, Conn., and then announced, “He didn’t get the message; we don’t serve cops here.” The other was an employee of an Arby’s in Pembroke Pines, Fla., who refused to serve a uniformed police officer at a drive-through window.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/06/us/s ... icers.html
Sure anyone can pick their customers. I’d prefer they let me know before I walk through the door. Post a sign just like a no carry sign letting everyone know who you will or won’t serve. Smacks of the same prejudice that was used against minorities, but I suppose since they don’t discriminate based on race/national origin or sex it holds up in court. Deny all armed people and I won’t bother walking in armed or not. Choose your customers, ok fine. After all I choose which establishments I go to as well.

In AZ retailers including restaurants can post a sign (if it conforms to state law) that they don't allow firearms, other states may be similar. The Arizona Gun Owners website used to have a list of restaurants that allowed and prohibited firearms, but I don't see it any longer. Nevada and Utah don't care.

I agree, I'd like to know before I get there if I'm prohibited or if I'll be asked to leave. I never open carry. Yes, I too choose which businesses that I will patronize.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: San Francisco restaurant asks three uniformed SFPD to leave because their weapons made staff feel uncomfortable.

20
tonguengroover wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:06 pm I don't pay attention to those signs. I'm always concealed or mostly anyways

Since I'm an out-of-stater even though I have an AZ CWP, I still don't want to be asked to leave. If I do carry it's well concealed. They should be required to post those signs on their website and on the front of the restaurant before someone enters.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 3 guests

cron