People videorecording others at the range

The last 2 times I have been my local gun range I have had to deal with people trying to make me or others Youtube sensations. I am not talking about the range's CCTV that is there for insurance reasons, and these were not cases of people making gun videos or getting video of friends. They were people in other lanes recording me and others, and I am not that interesting. In both cases I had to speak up and say I did not wish to be part of the videos. Is this something that happens now? Am I going to be part of a new TikTok dance?

Re: People videorecording others at the range

As in everything state and federal laws rule, but personally I'd have a big problem with anyone videotaping me without my permission. If they want to tape me get a signed release. Signed up for a gun class once and they had a release on their agreement that gave them use of my image, statements...etc. I refused to sign and told them if it was the deal breaker I wouldn't take the class. They said it wasn't a deal breaker and I took the class.

I'd definitely talk with the range managers.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:51 pm That shit shouldn't happen anywhere. I wouldn't take that very kindly and would get in that persons face. Those people should know better.
I wouldn’t get in their face as there are weapons involved. I would just go to the managers or owners of the range about the video recordings.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

FlyGuy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:00 am Don't we get our pictures and video taken at every LGC event?
Just saying.
I agree with the above, I have politely asked not to be recorded. Likewise, when I am filming or snapping photo's I am cognizant of others around me.
Within our group most times and post here. I have not taken pictures or video of anyone outside our group and I don’t think others in our group have either. If any of us has not wanted to be photographed then we have not photographed or taken video of them. Sounds odd someone taking videos without permission. If I’ve been recorded, I have not noticed. If it’s done at a distance, I wouldn’t know and don’t care much. If someone comes up to me and films, I would ask why and what are they taking pictures and videos for. Generally I’m not that interesting that someone would start filming. Still outsiders taking pictures or videos without permission is not cool.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Are you are the subject in the camera framing or are you in the background of a shot of their friend? Is this a private (membership required) or public range?

It may be rude, but generally if you are in a public place where other members of the public can be, and would clearly be able to see you, you have no expectation of privacy. Of course you can always ask them to stop and plenty of ranges have rules on photography.

The videos on the internet where someone starts ranting at others in a public park and then when it is being recorded start yelling "You don't have my permission to film me!" Well, they don't need permission. Same for say, the mall, representatives for the mall (or if you are in a store, their representatives) can request you stop but other customers have little to no say.

AdministrativeReload wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 pm Private range. There was no one else in the direction the camera was pointed. There was nothing being recorded in the foreground that the person could say was the item being recorded. I was minding my own business and do not know how long I was being recorded before I noticed. The person doing the recording did not have a membership badge visible.
Report the person’s activity and ask them to stop. Not necessarily in order. Perhaps leave as well.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

atxgunguy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:46 am There's no expectation of privacy at a public range.
True for public ranges. Since the OP was at a private range and a member he has at least some right to question in light of the filming individual not having a visible member identification. Still in essence you would still be correct, once I step out of my own house, I wouldn’t expect privacy. When I feel intruded on, I’d leave or go to a different spot. Without asking one doesn’t know why this individual was filming. Perhaps it was on behalf of the range. Who knows, he may have had the ranges permission. I’d check the fine print on the membership agreement.

There is already a rule against recording others at my range. Days later, members were informed that a group had been on the range without authorization filming members, the facilities and the grounds. A couple were confronted by RSOs and told to leave. There are NIMBYs from a new development trying to get the range shut down. It might have to do with that. The range has been there around 80 years.

AdministrativeReload wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:24 am There is already a rule against recording others at my range. Days later, members were informed that a group had been on the range without authorization filming members, the facilities and the grounds. A couple were confronted by RSOs and told to leave. There are NIMBYs from a new development trying to get the range shut down. It might have to do with that. The range has been there around 80 years.

Curiouser and curiouser ! Maybe the range should consider a big new sign threatening arrest for trespassing and unauthorized photographing of range users. Of course after checking with a local lawyer to make sure it complies with the law.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

While one should NEVER foto or vid people without their permission, the ramifications can be terrible if put on YouTube, Instagram, or Face Book. It can cost you your job, get you "doxxed", etc. I don't know if the private ranges I go to have a policy against it, but they should.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:06 pm Maybe you were doing some amazing shooting, still very bad thing to do. The crazy right peoples are taking photos and videos of liberal left people. So I would be pretty upset.
Actually, I'm far more concerned about the anti-2A Progressives taking pictures of people and trying to "dox" them. Some left-wing anti-2A nutjobs tried to "dox" me a few years ago. Didn't work, but they still tried. I've never had right-wingers try to "dox" me for practicing marksmanship at a range; if anything, the right-wingers have said, "bah Gawd, ya dang Leeee-brul, thar may be hope fer y'all yet!" :roflmao:
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

FlyGuy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:00 am Don't we get our pictures and video taken at every LGC event?
Just saying.
I agree with the above, I have politely asked not to be recorded. Likewise, when I am filming or snapping photo's I am cognizant of others around me.
Actually, we are pretty strict about not posting photos or videos with people's faces unless we have signed, written consent to do so. On our Instagram channel face are strictly forbidden, no matter what.

That's not to say that no one is taking photos, but if they do it is something they are doing on their own, and not LGC endorsed.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

CowboyT wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:13 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:06 pm Maybe you were doing some amazing shooting, still very bad thing to do. The crazy right peoples are taking photos and videos of liberal left people. So I would be pretty upset.
Actually, I'm far more concerned about the anti-2A Progressives taking pictures of people and trying to "dox" them. Some left-wing anti-2A nutjobs tried to "dox" me a few years ago. Didn't work, but they still tried. I've never had right-wingers try to "dox" me for practicing marksmanship at a range; if anything, the right-wingers have said, "bah Gawd, ya dang Leeee-brul, thar may be hope fer y'all yet!" :roflmao:
It was kind of like that in this situation. It was student led. They are trying to gather community support too.

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:05 pm Well there is that.
Funny over on another pretty neutral gun forum the typical crowd of conservatives were just discussing how it is liberal gun buyers don't train and can't shoot. Lol
They think we're all noobs. Buy a gun and toss it in a drawer.
Got a good chuckle out of that.
They are not wrong. Just about everyone I know who purchased for the first time recently has been a gunphobe who just threw it somewhere never to be seen again. Most people I know are gunphobes.

Eris wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:18 pm
Just saying.
Actually, we are pretty strict about not posting photos or videos with people's faces unless we have signed, written consent to do so. On our Instagram channel face are strictly forbidden, no matter what.

That's not to say that no one is taking photos, but if they do it is something they are doing on their own, and not LGC endorsed.
Must be new. We never had any written permissions on any pictures we posted from past events. However, I have asked if anyone doesn’t want to be photographed.