Few things are as glorious

as that first sip of the proper temperature and taste from your morning cup. Doesn't happen every day. Sometimes too hot or cold or what not. Not strong enough, too strong, and so on. But from time to time things come together and it's glorious.

Glad I don't live in WV today. Some Senator hatin' goin' on over dere.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Few things are as glorious

Don't know why I posted such a personal thing, as it doesn't happen as often as it should for me at my age. I mean, I should be able to whip out the perfect cup every time. Nah. It's much easier with eggs to be perfect every time. Coffee, for me, has a very wide range of acceptability and a very narrow range of perfection. So this morning was a treat.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:50 am Glad I don't live in WV today. Some Senator hatin' goin' on over dere.

CDFingers

Yup the feeding frenzy is on, two threads on the same subject. Back to coffee/tea, beer/ale and any other beverages that make us happy.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Have had Eggnog French Toast several times over last few days, drenched in Maple syrup with strong black coffee cut with heavy cream. Quite delicious.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:07 pm Have had Eggnog French Toast several times over last few days, drenched in Maple syrup with strong black coffee cut with heavy cream. Quite delicious.
I had waffles with raspberry jam this morning and turkey bacon, ok so I couldn't find any syrup. It tasted great.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I have a hard time getting coffee perfect a lot. I use some organic beans from Peru. I tried the automatic drip, the cold brew thingy as well. Maybe its the drip machine.
But it's weird when you go to have breakfast and their coffee is amazing! I have a hard time replicating that.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Irish coffee afternoon - Cafe Bustelo Espresso w/Jameson Black Barrel, dash of Agave nectar and whipped cream topping. Probably up for the night. LOL

Addendum: Brewed in my 60's vintage Nova Moka Expresso 4-cup (Demitasse) coffee maker.
Last edited by Wino on Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Comedy Central is running "A Clüsterfünke Christmas (2021)", it's a spoof on all those sickly sweet holiday movies. It's well written. It's set in the fictional Yuletide, Maine where you can't buy coffee but there is hot cocoa everywhere.

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:10 pm I have a hard time getting coffee perfect a lot. I use some organic beans from Peru. I tried the automatic drip, the cold brew thingy as well. Maybe its the drip machine.
But it's weird when you go to have breakfast and their coffee is amazing! I have a hard time replicating that.
Temperature should be about 180F, and dripped. Wet the grinds first with just enough water, then keep a thick solution as it drips. Don't over water. If it can keep a spoon standing up, it's likely too strong. Just below that.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:19 pm
Temperature should be about 180F, and dripped. Wet the grinds first with just enough water, then keep a thick solution as it drips. Don't over water. If it can keep a spoon standing up, it's likely too strong. Just below that.

CDFingers
For the spoon standing up, are you talking about the coffee in the cup? That would be just about right for my Grandfather. He would make coffee in a stove top percolator. He would get it going and going and would check on it by taking a spoon and pour a little coffee in it. If he could see the bottom of the spoon it wasn't ready. everybody would pour a little coffee in their cups and add hot water.

Another coffee tale. My dad and his sister were staying at their Grandfather's ranch. On the ranch the kitchen had a wood burning stove that a campfire coffee pot was on it and always had coffee in it. it would just get rinsed out and have more coffee made, never washed. Well one day Dad and his sister were cleaning the kitchen and they decided to clean the coffee pot. They took it outside and used the ash from the wash kettle fire to clean it. They got it spotless. Took it back in and made coffee. Well the old man came in poured himself some coffee and proceeded to spit it out. He yelled for his wife. "Lizzie, Who in the hell has messed with my coffee pot?" Needless my Dad and my Aunt made a beeline to out behind the barn, because they were in big trouble.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Who the hell messed with my coffee pot! No kidding--I had a coffee mug like that. Lasted four years at work and was brown as toast inside till it fell and broke. Coffee wasn't the same after that. Worked with a cook once had a stainless steel mug he kept full of coffee on the grill. On the grill. Liked it hot.

CDFingers

highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:20 am Never understood the coffee addiction, but to each his own. It's below freezing here so I'm sipping brandy in hot water which warms me up. Here's to everyone enjoying their legal addictions !
"Never understood the coffee addiction"

Well, it's how it smells and how it tastes, and how the caffeine helps you wake up. Simple. Either you like it or you don't. I drink my coffee black, no milk or sugar. That's how I like it. My wife likes Coffeemate and Sweet 'n' Low.

I suppose a toddy is good, but I like Cirroc and Cardinal Mendoza brandies neat. Cognac's only OK. but I love Armagnac.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

To make good drip coffee you need to grind it to a powder. Whether you use a manual pour-over or a drip machine, the keys are good coffee, good water, and brown filters. You'll need to experiment to see EXACTLY how much powder you need per cup--my usual is 1 heaping measure to 2 "cups" (the coffee "cup" is about 5 oz of water). For pour-over, you want to go SLOW, and not rush it.

But you can't make good coffee with bad coffee beans.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:40 pm
highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:20 am Never understood the coffee addiction, but to each his own. It's below freezing here so I'm sipping brandy in hot water which warms me up. Here's to everyone enjoying their legal addictions !

Well, it's how it smells and how it tastes, and how the caffeine helps you wake up. Simple. Either you like it or you don't. I drink my coffee black, no milk or sugar. That's how I like it. My wife likes Coffeemate and Sweet 'n' Low.

I suppose a toddy is good, but I like Cirroc and Cardinal Mendoza brandies neat. Cognac's only OK. but I love Armagnac.

I like the smell of coffee, just never got used to the taste. But taste is an individual thing, I'm a minority. Cirroc and Cardenal Mendoza are good brandies. The Italians are known for their grappa. A German couple introduced me to Slivovitz which is Eastern European plum brandy, an acquired taste.

highdesert wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:10 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:40 pm

I like the smell of coffee, just never got used to the taste. But taste is an individual thing, I'm a minority. Cirroc and Cardenal Mendoza are good brandies. The Italians are known for their grappa. A German couple introduced me to Slivovitz which is Eastern European plum brandy, an acquired taste.
There are also white rums (primarily from Martinique) known as "grappe"--similar to Italian grappa. Italians also make a liqueur called "Amaro" which vary widely according to each brand's secret recipe. Some are quite weird, others very sweet. I prefer Ramazzotti which tastes like sweet burnt orange peels, to me. Slivovitz is a name from my childhood, but I'm not sure I ever tasted it.

When I spent a semester in Bruges, at the College of Europe, all the students put on parties with the food and drink from their respective countries. The most fun was the Irish/Danish party with Guinness and Aqva Vit...never saw a room get SO drunk so fast doing shots of the latter! Naturally, I have NO memory of the food........... One French prof, a M. Lory, became hilarious. He was the nicest man, but his English was atrocious and his teaching style worse.

Back to coffee...if you don't like the taste, you don't like the taste. I don't drink tea unless I'm sick or in an Asian restaurant. I used to be fond of Matte and Lapsang Souchong, but I can live without them if there's decent coffee. I cannot STAND Starbuck's coffee in any form whatsoever. People who love Starbuck's? When they recommend restaurants, I won't go to them!

Ran across a 5 lb. bag of Nicaraguan Maragogype (big bean) green beans last week. Received them yesterday - bag actually contained five pounds - I've been shorted before on 1 lb. bags as bean so large normal pound coffee bag won't hold a full pound.. Used air corn popper to roast a batch this morning just as second snap began - little darker than planned. Cooled down and now degassing for next 12 hours or so - if I can wait that long !! LOL I just finished my last Mexican Maragogype yesterday, so timely find. Still, not sure I like putting money in Daniel Ortega's pocket, but couldn't find elsewhere as no stock I could find.

My favorite coffee is cowboy coffee watching the sun kiss granite peaks in the Sierra. There's nothing like it when you reluctantly wriggle out of the fluffy down fart sack, unzip the tent, release the bear bag from it's perch and wait, shivering, for the grounds to settle out of the boiling brew. That patience for the first sip so you don't blister the tongue. Then bringing a cup back to the tent for my wife and wriggling back into the cocoon.