50 MOA Base

I can't find a 50 MOA base for my rifle for ELR shooting. Is it ok to use a 30 MOA base with 20 MOA rings for the total 50 MOA needed? I have never seen someone do it before, so I didn't know if that was an acceptable solution or not.
If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food, it's a plus for everybody.

Re: 50 MOA Base

What on earth are you shooting that needs a 50 MOA base? And what scope has over 100MOA vert or are you just not going to shoot closer than 500 yards?

I can shoot out to 1200 yards without using hold overs, with hold overs I can shoot to a mile plus and I just have a 20 MOA base with Razor gen2 HD 4.5-27x.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

22LR zeroed at 50 yards and can dial in up to 500 yards. If all my math was right I should have just enough adjustment in the scope to do that. Alternatively I could get a 40 and have holdover.
If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food, it's a plus for everybody.

The difference between 50yds and 500 yards for 22LR is about 100 MOA. So, your plan only works if you have a scope with over 100 MOA of vertical adjustment. 50 MOA base on most scopes and you can't zero closer than 220 yards or so.

The 22 LR is just about worthless past 250 yards on even a calm day. Not trying to yuk your plan, but it dosen't seem realistic. What is your rifle and scope?
Old School

Bergara B-14R 22LR with an Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30×56 which has 110 MOA of elevation and windage.

My local range only goes out to 300 which is what I will be shooting at most, but there is one around 3 hours away that goes to 600 (not that I will use all that distance).

I like long range shooting. Centerfire shooting in any quantity has become too expensive. I can't get the reloading stuff I need nor find good match ammo.

So I sold my .308 setup and have been reading and watching stuff about ELR 22 rifles and shooting and it has all the technicality and knowledge of the centerfire, but shooting at 300 yards is the equivalent skill level of shooting 1000-1200 yards with centerfire. Planning out the new setup now and making sure I make as few mistakes in gear choice as I can.

Much more economical to shoot and I also don't have to spend time reloading as long as I do proper batch testing of ammo I should be good.

The American Shooting Center we drove out to before the pandemic to meet up with y'all has one.

https://americanshootingcenters.com/the ... iflepistol

Rifle and Pistol section, right hand column, 4th paragraph down.

They have prone 200, 300, 400, & 600 yard lanes all the way at the end of the covered 100 yard section.

That link looks VERY cool from first glance. THANKS!
Oldschool wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:05 am Ok, sounds like you have realistic expectations. You might want to check out some of the gear used for shooting 2000 plus. It gets expensive, but might be a good fit for your project.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/08/ ... cs-mounts/

TxChef wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:10 am I like long range shooting. Centerfire shooting in any quantity has become too expensive. I can't get the reloading stuff I need nor find good match ammo.

So I sold my .308 setup and have been reading and watching stuff about ELR 22 rifles and shooting and it has all the technicality and knowledge of the centerfire, but shooting at 300 yards is the equivalent skill level of shooting 1000-1200 yards with centerfire. Planning out the new setup now and making sure I make as few mistakes in gear choice as I can.

Much more economical to shoot and I also don't have to spend time reloading as long as I do proper batch testing of ammo I should be good.

The American Shooting Center we drove out to before the pandemic to meet up with y'all has one.

https://americanshootingcenters.com/the ... iflepistol

Rifle and Pistol section, right hand column, 4th paragraph down.

They have prone 200, 300, 400, & 600 yard lanes all the way at the end of the covered 100 yard section.
This is actually quite true. Learning distance-shooting skills by putting .22LR out anywhere past 300 yards is very good practice. You've got to read the wind, account for major bullet drop, all that, and all while being easier on both shoulder and wallet. Those skills transfer directly over to the centerfire cartridges like .308 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag (which will stay just barely supersonic out to a mile with the proper load!), and so on.

I think this is a great idea.

BTW, 40 MOA Picatinny scope bases are readily available. If you need more than that, then I'd suggest some Burris Signature Zee rings in combination with such a scope base.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

500yds with 22lr is impressive.

I shoot 22lr out to about 250yds and that is a good way to learn wind and come ups. But to me, further isn't worth it. To start with hearing hits on steel is difficult and seeing holes in paper with a spotter is beyond my eyes and gear. Seeing splash (impacts in dirt) is unlikely so it can turn into perpetual frustration .

At 500 yards a 3mph guest is a horizontal swing of over 2 feet.

I don't mind missing when I error on the things I can control, but too much I can't control at 500yds.

Can't wait to hear the range report, I am curious.
Old School

Just one of many videos I have seen of a 22 at 1000 yards.

https://youtu.be/NztX_o-055I

I had seen one at 1200 recently but couldn't find it.

People are pushing them crazy distances now.
Oldschool wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:39 pm 500yds with 22lr is impressive.

I shoot 22lr out to about 250yds and that is a good way to learn wind and come ups. But to me, further isn't worth it. To start with hearing hits on steel is difficult and seeing holes in paper with a spotter is beyond my eyes and gear. Seeing splash (impacts in dirt) is unlikely so it can turn into perpetual frustration .

At 500 yards a 3mph guest is a horizontal swing of over 2 feet.

I don't mind missing when I error on the things I can control, but too much I can't control at 500yds.

Can't wait to hear the range report, I am curious.