Re: Kalashnikov USA announces the KR-101 at SHOT Show 2022

FrontSight wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 am
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 pm Looks heavy. Tell me why I should trade in my Ruger 556 AR for one?
You could add one to go next to your Ruger 556.
Sometimes we buy rifles because we just want it; nothing wrong with that.
I suppose.
The question however it was meant more about the complexities of the mechanics of AK vs AR vs AR. I'm not really versed on the differences.
Plus I got no more room in safe for long guns. I I were to go that route would I be just asking for issues my AR does not have?
Thanks.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

No issues, it's just a different rifle. I don't go in for the AR vs. AK debate; its ridiculous.
You can talk the differences until you're blue in the face. At the end of the day, they both do the same job and do it well. While the AR may have an accuracy edge (it doesn't always), the edge isn't enough that it would ever matter on a battlefield. Both have proven to be sufficiently reliable, both have excellent parts interchangeability and availability, excellent aftermarket options, good optics options.

I guess it all depends on what you expect from your rifle, and what your preferences are. Me, I don't really have a preference. If it all hit the fan, most any will do just fine, and I have a half dozen to choose from. I do have a preference for a short barrel and a folding stock; that's very nice when you're constantly in vehicles. But I can still get it done with my big, heavy, oversized FAL if I have to.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Pretty cool... though you couldn't pay me enough to wander around that covid factory shitshow with all those maskless douchebags... Still, I'd like to shoot one and see how it runs. I'm much more partial to the side-charging AK than the accidental face-smack you get with wet, gloved hands when racking the AR. That's the thing I liked most about my old Kel Tec SU16- 5.56 with a side-charging handle.
But... Rifle is Fine, as they say, and part of me would feel like a traitor feeding an AK platform with those little 5.56...
Crow
Minute Of Average

FrontSight wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:12 am No issues, it's just a different rifle. I don't go in for the AR vs. AK debate; its ridiculous.
You can talk the differences until you're blue in the face. At the end of the day, they both do the same job and do it well. While the AR may have an accuracy edge (it doesn't always), the edge isn't enough that it would ever matter on a battlefield. Both have proven to be sufficiently reliable, both have excellent parts interchangeability and availability, excellent aftermarket options, good optics options.

I guess it all depends on what you expect from your rifle, and what your preferences are. Me, I don't really have a preference. If it all hit the fan, most any will do just fine, and I have a half dozen to choose from. I do have a preference for a short barrel and a folding stock; that's very nice when you're constantly in vehicles. But I can still get it done with my big, heavy, oversized FAL if I have to.
I follow your thoughts on this. No real preference for me.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Kalashnikov Concern in Russia has been making and exporting AK-101 since 1995. Back then they did it because they wanted to sell AK rifles to militaries already standardized on 5.56. Civilian market in USA is a natural place for it, they just didn’t have an easy way to bring it here. Interesting to bring a 27 year old design and market it as if it’s a new concept.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 pm Kalashnikov Concern in Russia has been making and exporting AK-101 since 1995. Back then they did it because they wanted to sell AK rifles to militaries already standardized on 5.56. Civilian market in USA is a natural place for it, they just didn’t have an easy way to bring it here. Interesting to bring a 27 year old design and market it as if it’s a new concept.
With imports going away in general and Russian firearms in particular banned, we never will get AK-100s again unless they temporarily come in through a 3rd country. That is why KUSA has an opportunity to run away with the AK-100 market with a complete KR-100 line.

There is an erroneous belief in the US that, because 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 exist, the East Bloc had nothing to do with 5.56x45 or 7.62x51. Russia long has been a producer of 5.56 NATO-spec ammo, even though they used the 5.45x39 for their own forces in the AK-74/u/M and later the AK-105.

Yugoslavia was not quiet about not being thrilled with 5.45x39 and was a producer of 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 even back in the '70s. The M77 was natively a 7.62x51. No doubt the Тито factor played a part.

5.56x45 was the original round specified for the M90 when it was being developed. Contrary to popular belief, it was not slated to be a 5.45x39. Had the M90 program not tripped and fallen on its face as Yugoslavia dissolved just prior to its adoption, the Serbs, Bosniaks, and Croats would have been slaughtering each other with shiny new M90s instead of the M70s that filled their arsenals.

FrontSight wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:47 pm Great post...
I agree that KUSA is in prime position to just own the AK market. Now I have held in my hand a grand total of ONE KUSA product, but it was very nice. Nicer than most any other current make AK’s. And they are priced pretty well to boot.
I would say they have an opportunity to own that particular segment of the AK market--KR-100s based on the Kalashnikov Concern AK-100 TDPs. KP-9s and KS-12s aside, 74M/100s are their area of expertise.

PSA works more on volume and pushes more downmarket AK-pattern products for those who don't care if their PSAK-104 has the bump rivet showing on the left side of the receiver and is internally more of an AKM. They also sell a lot of kit-built AKMs. So my guess is they're moving big numbers right now that dwarf those of KUSA.

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised if PSA provides a few of the parts for KUSA or they use the same suppliers. The two companies are in neighboring states. For my bastardized AK-104 build, I sourced the '74-style optic mount rail from PSA. I don't know if they made it or got it from someone else, but quality was good. Top covers also seem like another thing that would just be provided by a sheet metal outfit. PSA also sells some nice FN Herstal CHF CL barrels.

2 years later, and they aren't even going to SHOT Show 2024.

There is a minor update on Guns.com suggesting the AK-101 project still exists, though.
https://www.guns.com/news/2024/01/11/a- ... 024-lineup

They must be beyond incompetent to let budget brand PSA eat their lunch.

Them screwing this up is why I went ahead and got a Saiga .223 and am going to roll my own AK-101 or AK-102.

That's unfortunate to learn, but hardly unprecedented.

Remington--who has some good gun designs (e. g. the 700, 870, VersaMax, 1911R1, and so on) let themselves go into bankruptcy due to incompetent management, too. Savage and Bergara both have eaten Remington's lunch in the bolt-action rifle space in recent years. Everyone and their mother makes a 1911, though Remington's is a good one and reasonably priced.

I hope KUSA gets on the stick. Well-made Kalashnikov rifles are good things, not bad things. PSA must be making a mint off of their Kalashnikov-pattern rifles.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/