2022 Midterm Elections

We probably need a need section for the 2022 Midterm Elections, the first primary starts March 1st.

Generic polling: A survey taken at different times by many pollsters, asking their sample of voters "if the election was held today which party would you want to see controlling congress".
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7361.html

State primaries:
https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections ... lines.aspx
Last edited by highdesert on Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: 2022 Midterm Elections - generic poll

Yes, need a section. Not going to take a survey. Neither party is very enticing at the moment. Won't support the republicans under any circumstance. Not inclined to support the dems either at this time. Third party candidates are slim to none. Even local dems are beginning to be problematic.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:38 am Yes, need a section. Not going to take a survey. Neither party is very enticing at the moment. Won't support the republicans under any circumstance. Not inclined to support the dems either at this time. Third party candidates are slim to none. Even local dems are beginning to be problematic.
Yup, you're state is number one on March 1st. With redistricting this year, I've got to research the candidates for US House, state senate and state assembly as districts are different. County board and town council are non-partisan, not always easy to tell. New sheriff is up for election, he supports concealed carry.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 am That's before several dozen R's are exposed by the Jan 6 committee. I think Nancy will drag it out for maximum benefit. And Gaetz will be in jail for sex with a minor and so on. I think three senators in R land will go.

CDFingers
After all the shit Trump openly did, you think the other side gives a shit? Hell, most of them think it was a peaceful demonstration that the "fucking Dems" are punishing them for. I'm not optimistic but hope to be wrong.

Biden's approval ratings are low. Neither Biden's nor Trump's names will appear on 2022 ballots, but they'll still have impacts.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/bi ... al-rating/

Biden's not the best or the worst compared to recent presidents, Trump is still at the bottom in ratings for their first year.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/389033/bid ... rized.aspx

Direction of the Country:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... html#polls

Favorability ratings:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... aders.html

The rupulsives are inundating, almost to a tsunami, TV ads touting their turd connections. Our top three crooks are doing major turd suck ups. Have seen little to no Dem ads on TV - have received lots of mailers and actually saw two separate Beto yard signs in my neighborhood vs zero for the other side. Can't describe the nausea I have having to hear turd endorse these pieces of shit. Waiting on a force majeure to resolve this nations scourge is wearing me out.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:10 am The rupulsives are inundating, almost to a tsunami, TV ads touting their turd connections. Our top three crooks are doing major turd suck ups. Have seen little to no Dem ads on TV - have received lots of mailers and actually saw two separate Beto yard signs in my neighborhood vs zero for the other side. Can't describe the nausea I have having to hear turd endorse these pieces of shit. Waiting on a force majeure to resolve this nations scourge is wearing me out.
I feel sorry for you folks wino, you're in the thick of it with your March 1st primary ads. The mute button and a lot of breaks should help. Looks like 17 more days to go, hold on.

Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

Whoa!!! Vote by mail is even worse than I thought - I ALMOST fell victim to another sly move. You have to enter your voter ID or DL and/or last four of SSN in an area under the envelope flap - small print say these must be entered on the envelope that already has IDing in your return address. The only reason I caught this was I wondered why there were two (2) adhesive strips to lick to seal envelope and discovered I ALMOST sealed without filling these in. Not to mention that it has now cost me $1.16 to vote for postage, which made me think that how many people won't vote because too much trouble for postage. I expect voter turn out this go will be abysmal in numbers and the people who really need to vote, won't!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

538's analysis of redistricting at this time. Republicans aren't the only ones who gerrymander, Democrats do it too.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/re ... id=rrpromo

Dave Wasserman of the Cook Political Report, an expert on the US House. It's worth listening to the audio.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2022-midte ... t-podcast/

Wisconsin Supreme Court Allows Ban on Ballot Drop Boxes in April Election

The Wisconsin Supreme Court has decided to allow a lower court order to stand that bans ballot drop boxes in the state’s April election. The 4-3 decision came after a right-wing legal group pushed forward a lawsuit brought by two men in suburban Milwaukee. The justices split along party lines with Republicans judges voting to ban the drop boxes.

Ballot drop boxes became popular during the pandemic because they allowed people to vote more easily without going into crowded polling locations. But even in 2016, nearly one in six voters used a ballot box. Republicans are now trying to get rid of them because they believe, wrongly, there is rampant voter fraud. (Another option is that it is all a pretense and they just think it could help them win elections.) South Carolina and Texas are both moving toward banning, or limiting, ballot boxes, as well.

The court has not yet made a final decision in the case. That decision, which is expected in the coming weeks, will determine the long term legality of drop boxes in the state. The case will also determine whether people can turn in someone else’s absentee ballot, another practice conservatives are trying to ban.

Wisconsin is one of the most important swing states in the nation. Republicans are hoping to gain as many advantages as they can before the state’s Democratic Governor Tony Evers and Republican Senator Ron Johnson come up for reelection in November.

Targeting ballot drop boxes is just one part of a broader, nationwide attack on voting rights by the GOP. As my colleague Ari Berman has reported, Democrats have failed to pass a voting rights bill in Washington as Republicans have taken action at the state level:

The stakes couldn’t be higher: If Democrats don’t pass these voting rights bills—and soon—the 2022 election will take place under voting restrictions designed to suppress turnout among Democratic-leaning constituencies, gerrymandered maps that roll back fair representation for communities of color, and election subversion laws giving Trump-inspired “Stop the Steal” candidates unprecedented power over election administration and how votes are counted. Collectively, these anti-democratic measures could cost Democrats control of Congress and crucial state offices in 2022, making it much easier for Republicans to rig the 2024 election.
https://www.motherjones.com/environment ... st-carbon/

If the GOPathetic Repugs had their way, they would nullify the 15th,19th,24th and 26th amendments to the Constitution. Thus nullifying the right to vote for POC, Women, the poor, and anybody under the age of 21 or age set by the individual states. Leaving only old white MAGA Repugs in the majority voting. their Idea of a democracy and heaven.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Texas ban on encouraging mail-in votes likely unconstitutional, judge rules

SAN ANTONIO — A new Texas law that keeps local election officials from encouraging voters to request mail-in ballots likely violates the First Amendment, a federal judge ruled late Friday.

Following a testy three-hour hearing earlier in the day, Federal District Judge Xavier Rodriguez temporarily blocked the state from enforcing the rule against Harris County’s election administrator until the rest of a lawsuit plays out. Although the scope of Rodriguez’s preliminary injunction is limited, the judge dealt the first legal blow to new elections restrictions and voting changes Republican lawmakers enacted last year.

The injunction applies to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and local county prosecutors in Harris, Travis and Williamson counties.

The state is expected to quickly appeal the ruling. The lawsuit was brought by Harris County election administrator Isabel Longoria and Cathy Morgan, a volunteer deputy registrar who is appointed to help register voters in Travis and Williamson counties.

Feb. 18 is the last day for counties to receive applications for mail-in ballots for the March 1 primary.

Rodriguez previewed his order throughout a Friday morning hearing during which he repeatedly pressed the state’s attorneys — with increasing exasperation — to fill in what he cataloged as ambiguities in the new law. The challenged provision makes it a state jail felony for election officials to “solicit the submission” of an application to vote by mail if the voter did not request it.

Rodriguez took particular issue with the lack of a clear definition for what constitutes soliciting when talking to voters, even those 65 and older who automatically qualify to vote by mail under the state’s strict rules.

“It has a chilling effect,” Rodriguez said while questioning a state attorney Friday morning. “They don’t know when they’re going to run afoul of this vague [law].”

His comments followed testimony from Longoria and Morgan, who said they feared the civil and criminal penalties that could come from violating the broad prohibition.

Longoria said her office was now taking a “passive” approach to voter outreach in regard to voting by mail, with staffers “gingerly” weighing their words while answering voters’ questions about their options.

“When it comes to voting by mail, I have to be very careful with my words,” Longoria said from the witness stand. “I stop mid-sentence sometimes at town halls. … I’m tentative to overreach at the moment.”

Morgan testified that she was concerned the law applied even to volunteers like her, given that her role is formally certified by county election offices. She offered examples of voters she no longer felt she could help navigate the vote-by-mail process. That included an 88-year-old voter whom Morgan would typically call at the start of every year to remind her that she has to reapply for mail-in ballots.

State attorneys said that the law did not apply to volunteers like Morgan and argued the government can prohibit interactions between local election officials and voters without running afoul of the First Amendment.

They also repeatedly argued Longoria and Morgan could not prove they were facing an explicit threat of prosecution to justify the preliminary injunction. Under Senate Bill 1, officials who violate the prohibition on soliciting mail-in ballots face a state jail felony, which can be punishable by a minimum of 180 days in jail and fines up to $10,000.

Sean Morales-Doyle, an attorney for the plaintiffs, countered that an explicit threat of prosecution was not necessary because laws are also created to deter specific actions.

“The law is on the books for that purpose,” said Morales-Doyle, an attorney with the Brennan Center for Justice.

And even the state’s witness — Keith Ingram, the Texas secretary of state’s director of elections — indicated the threat of prosecution loomed over election officials. While Ingram was on the stand, Rodriguez presented him with hypothetical interactions between Longoria and voters, asking if she could recommend voting by mail to someone who appeared to qualify.

“I would be very careful about that,” Ingram responded. “You wouldn’t want to recommend” voting by mail as an option “because you’d be worried about prosecution,” he said.

Throughout the hearing, Rodriguez also pressed for the reasoning behind the anti-solicitation provision, interrupting the state’s questioning of Ingram in search of an answer. Ingram said he didn’t know the purpose of the provision.

Eventually, Will Thompson of the Texas attorney general’s office told Rodriguez that the provision was meant to limit “official encouragement” of voting by mail, indicating the state preferred people vote in person even if they qualify to vote by mail.

“We’re not taking the position that the Legislature is opposed to voting by mail,” Thompson said. “That doesn’t mean the Legislature wants resources to be used toward nudging people toward voting by mail.”

The anti-solicitation rule is part of the far-reaching voting law, enacted last year by Republican lawmakers who championed it as a measure needed to ensure the integrity of Texas elections — even though there are no widespread issues with elections in the state. SB 1 contains an array of new restrictions on the state’s voting process and narrows local control of elections.

The Harris County lawsuit is just one in a heap of challenges to the election law. The expansive fight against the law includes civil rights groups and community organizations that advocate for voters of color and voters with disabilities who argue the law discriminates against those voters. The U.S. Department of Justice joined those plaintiffs with its own lawsuit last year, targeting new restrictions on mail-in ballots and voter assistance.

Those cases are expected to go to trial later this year.
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/02/11 ... ts-ruling/

Well this can change with Ken "Loser" Paxton appeals the decision to the 5th US Court and the SCOTUS, although with his winning record of .0001 cases it might not change.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Suppression of Mail-In Voting Looms Over Texas Primary

Early voting for a March 1 primary election opened yesterday in Texas, where civil rights groups are warning the Republican Secretary of State John B. Scott of a “crisis of confidence” among voters as election officials scramble to implement the state’s punitive new election law.

According to a letter to Scott signed by 30 civil rights groups this week, he squandered precious time “chasing down” former President Donald Trump’s conspiracy theories about the 2020 election results when state officials should have prioritized helping voters and election officials navigate Senate Bill 1, the new restrictions on voting and mail-in ballots that Republicans rammed through the state legislature last year.

“Altogether, the issues stemming from the passage of anti-voter Senate Bill 1 create multiple deliberate barriers to voting with far-reaching consequences,” said Charlie Bonner, communications director for MOVE Texas Action Fund, in a statement. “These failures have led to mass confusion surrounding our voting processes that continue to undermine trust in our elections.”

Scott briefly signed onto one Trump’s ill-fated lawsuits that attempted to overturn the 2020 presidential vote in Pennsylvania before Republican Gov. Greg Abbott appointed him to Texas secretary of state last year. For Republicans, Scott is a champion of “election integrity,” a buzzword describing the idea that restrictions on voting are needed to prevent fraud. Despite Trump’s claims, there is no evidence of widespread fraud in 2020 or any other recent election, and critics say Texas Republicans are continuing a longstanding tradition of diluting the voting power of people of color, workers and people with disabilities.

The uncertainty and confusion hanging over the Texas primaries was underscored late last Friday when a federal judge in San Antonio issued a preliminary injunction blocking enforcement of a portion of the voter restriction law that made it crime for public officials to encourage or “solicit” applications to vote by mail. Plaintiff election officials said the restrictions violated their First Amendment rights and made it difficult to help elderly and disabled people apply for mail-in ballots without potentially committing a criminal offense.

Scott’s office did not respond to Truthout’s request for comment, but a spokesman told Politico that some county officials have “almost been overly restrictive on themselves.” But the incentive to be “restrictive” is clear: “Unlawfully soliciting” mail-in ballots is now a felony punishable by 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $10,000, according to the Texas Tribune.

Across the state, officials have complained about rejecting large numbers of mail-in ballot applications due to confusion over the law’s cumbersome new ID requirements. Senate Bill 1 also enhanced criminal penalties and paperwork for people who assist voters, creating hurdles for elderly and disabled voters and the people who care for them.

Officials have rushed to update forms to alert voters to new rules and penalties ahead of the midterms, and Scott’s office was initially forced to ration voter registration forms after running out of paper due to problems in the supply chain.

“This was a seismic blunder that threatened many thousands of eligible voters, and which you worked to fix only after a massive public outcry,” the groups wrote in the letter.

Scott’s office has responded to lawsuits and public outcry by issuing guidance on a rolling basis, but advocates say Scott still has not done enough to educate voters about new rules and procedures for mail-in voting. For example, Scott’s office rolled out a new website for tracking mail-in ballots, but most voters don’t know about it, according to the letter.

“Unlike Secretary Scott, we have been working directly with voters to provide the support and guidance that they deserve in the wake of the confusion of Senate Bill 1,” said Stephanie Gómez, associate director for Common Cause Texas, in a statement.

The groups said public confidence in Texas elections was already eroding before Abbott appointed Scott last year. In 2019 and again in 2022, attempts at purging non-citizens from voter rolls have wrongly targeted naturalized citizens and intimidated immigrant voters.

In 2020, Scott’s predecessor forced election officials in Harris County, which includes most of Houston, to abandon a plan to send mail-in ballot applications to every registered voter due the pandemic, according to civil rights groups. Republican election officials also worked with Abbott to severely limit the number of mail-in ballot drop boxes available to voters shortly before the 2020 election.

Texas Republicans went on to pass Senate Bill 1, which the Justice Department has challenged in court in defense of elderly and disabled voters. Republicans passed the new penalties for encouraging or “unlawful soliciting” of mail-in votes after a series of legal fights with Democratic election officials in Harris Country and other populous areas over the issue. Mail-in ballots are highly controversial in Republican-led Texas, where high voter turnout in 2020 left Trump with a narrower margin of victory over President Joe Biden than the former president may have expected in a traditionally red state.

In September, Trump demanded that Abbott pass legislation authorizing a “forensic audit” of ballots in Texas long after state officials declared the 2020 election “smooth and secure.” Within hours of Trump’s request, Scott’s predecessor ordered an audit of the results in the state’s four largest and most diverse counties, including Harris County. Abbott appointed Scott to take over as secretary of state soon after.

Initial results of the review released last month found few discrepancies, confirming what many observers in Texas already knew: There was no widespread voter fraud in 2020. Voting rights advocate chalk it up to a thinly veiled and hyper-partisan attempt to bolster Republican conspiracy theories about a stolen election that fueled a wave of voter suppression efforts in Texas and other states.

The civil rights groups say Scott has been vocal about making the election audit his “first and foremost” priority while his office should have been preparing for a primary election with new voting restrictions in place. They say Scott must use the time remaining before the March 1 vote to expand efforts to educate voters about the changes, issue clearer guidance to local officials, and protect voters from intimidation by partisan poll watchers who are empowered to intervene at polling locations under Senate Bill 1.

“The longer these issues go unaddressed, the more voters [are] impacted, and the more extreme the impacts on our democracy become,” Bonner said.
https://truthout.org/articles/suppressi ... s-primary/

The Left hand can't figure out what the Right hand did and it has become a huge Clusterf*ck. Just what the GOPathetic and the Three Stooges wanted.

Just hoping it affects more of their voters than sane one's. LOL

I'm going to venture a guess 50% or more of mail ins will not be counted due to new entries reqd. on ballot envelope. As I posted, I almost missed it. And this is just a primary vote.

I mailed my ballot 2/14. Just tried to check county mail in ballot tracker and link is dead. Tried state tracker and it only shows sending ballot, not receiving as of today. It HAS TO BE received by 5 PM this Friday 2/18 to be counted under new law.

just now tried sending email to their email contact asking why tracker down - my email was refuse/rejected. LOL

Wino, You didn't get one of the "specially" marked mail in ballots that was sent to only verified supporters of TOT backed candidates. Then too bad because they are the only ones that will be counted.
:sarcasm:

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:13 pm Wino, You didn't get one of the "specially" marked mail in ballots that was sent to only verified supporters of TOT backed candidates. Then too bad because they are the only ones that will be counted.
:sarcasm:
I did receive the mail in request form from a dem org, but did not use due to suspecting it might get 86'd, so dwnld. form off county web and mailed in my own envelope. I then received my ballot last week. As stated voted and mailed 2/14. Just checked and county election tracker link still dead.

Our turd stained guv is blaming all the problems on election officials - you can't turn a shit sandwich given to you into prime rib no matter what that POS says.

'Democrats have always cheated': Over 90 percent of Texas GOP candidates refuse to admit Trump lost

Only 13 of 143 GOP congressional candidates in Texas — or fewer than 10 percent — have said the results of the 2020 presidential election were legitimate, according to a new report from the Houston Chronicle.

"Even outside the conservative strongholds, GOP candidates across the state are calling for large-scale audits or otherwise casting doubt on the outcome of the election as they battle for votes," the newspaper reported Wednesday. "Candidates in nearly every competitive race across the state have raised questions about the validity of the 2020 election or said outright that it was stolen, despite widespread evidence to the contrary and the overwhelming failure of Trump and his allies to overturn the results in court."

Two Texas GOP congressional candidates, Alma Arredondo-Lynch and Sam Montoya, participated in the Capitol insurrection. And former president Donald Trump's "big lie" has fueled GOP primary challenges against four of the five incumbent Texas Republican House members who voted to certify the results of the election. Those incumbents include high-profile Rep. Dan Crenshaw, who recently told GOP activists they were "kidding themselves" if they think the election was stolen.

Milam Langella, one of the Republicans challenging Crenshaw, told the Chronicle: “It appears that well over 50,000 people who attended the Trump rally (last month in Texas) would agree that this last election was very questionable. My duty as a congressman will be to not just vote conservatively, but to do what I can to kick over the ant hill, and fix what happened in 2020, as ugly as it might be.”

The Chronicle's parent company, Hearst Newspapers, sent questions about the election and searched campaign websites and social media pages for all 143 Republicans running for Congress, according to the report.

"Of the 86 with discernible stances, at least 42 have said outright that the 2020 election was stolen, called the results illegitimate or said they would have voted not to certify," the Chronicle reports. "Another 11 candidates have said there was enough fraud or irregularities to cast doubt on the results of the election. Just 13 said the results were legitimate."

The newspaper called the issue "a key litmus test for measuring a candidate's fealty to Trump."

Republican strategist Brendan Steinhauser told the Chronicle: “Every candidate is having to navigate these waters as best they can in terms of what they believe, what they feel like they can say publicly, and then the cost-benefit analysis of doing it."

Joshua Blank serves as research director for the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas at Austin, where polling has showed that 67 percent of Republican voters in the state don't believe Biden legitimately won the 2020 election.

“The belief in widespread voter fraud is becoming the article of faith among Republicans," Blank said, calling it “a dimension of the major driving issue of Republican primaries in 2022 — and that issue is, is there any daylight between you and the former president?”

“It’s not necessarily about voting per se, but the extent to which these candidates can present themselves as on the president’s team,” Blank said.

The newspaper pointed to a recent debate among GOP candidates in the "MAGA-friendly" 8th Congressional District near Houston, where Republican Rep. Kevin Brady is retiring. Within 10 minutes, the three GOP candidates on stage reached a consensus that the election was stolen.

“We’ve seen across the board, the Democrats have always cheated,” said candidate Jonathan Hullihan, a former judge advocate general in the Navy. “81 million votes for Joe Biden? I just don’t believe it.”
https://www.rawstory.com/texas-2656693500/

Stupid is as stupid does. The ignorance abounds in Texas. Just look at the Three Stooges that are running for re-election and the voters that will vote for them.

If the hen weighs eight pounds on a calibrated scale, she weighs eight pounds.

I really think it's over for those who still support the orange spirochete. More and more calibrated scales show him to be guilty of many things.

Everyone has to roast them until they lose in 22. Roast roast roast. Make them own their idiocy by paying forty years out of political power.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Tomorrow is dead line for them to have in hand - not mailed - in their hands by 5PM 2/18/22. Appears Abbott screwed you as far as mail in is concerned. If applied, not received, they may not let you vote in person or do so in a provisional vote that will probably not be counted. Again, I expect this years voting turn out will be smallest turnout in modern times due to requirements and rejections.